It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India signs nuclear deal with Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

India signs nuclear deal with Russia

www.abc.net.au

India has signed a nuclear cooperation agreement with Russia.

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh says the deal is a new milestone in the relationship between the two nations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I didn't see this coming. Not only did they sign a nuclear deal:

The two nations also signed agreements on defence and space.

Russia has offered to assist India with its space program, including the training of cosmonauts.

In return, India has agreed to buy up to 80 military helicopters from Russia.

Mr Medvedev also offered Russia's support in the fight against terrorism, in response to the Mumbai attacks.

All of a sudden Russia is getting very cosy with agreements. And the cooperation between Russia and Europe, China and now India on the space program is a stark contrast to NASA and the US's policy.

It looks like Russia is seizing on this economic turmoil to try and sideline the US in previous areas of dominance.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Very true... It is an oppurtune time to slip in...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

I kinda think that Americas superpower status is gone.I agree they are capitalizing on Americas economic hardships to make them the number 1.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I see nothing bad in this, Russia makes a profitable deal with India. If this were a deal between the USA and India would it even make the news?

Good relations between Russia and India are not in any way a threat to anyone or should be seen as some sinister conspiracy. Hopefully one day all nations around the world can once again find ways to cooperate, to work together, to solve global problems and conflicts together... To explore space together, to build our economies together..... Or maybe we should keep finding ways to war with each other until we are all dead?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Gone? Really? If that's not an illusion than i don't know what is. This whole economic hardship is all planned. How are you going to get a black guy in the white house? Make the "old white men" look like crack jobs. Bush isn't really an idiot like everyone coughs him up to be. And I'm not saying any black guy would've done for the job. Obama was chosen to be prez since his first baby steps in politics, the fact of his ethnicity paved the road.

America's still the superpower it's claimed to be.

As for the original topic, that's quite the surprise. Looks like Russia is pickin' up speed by pullin' the big brother card. Good plan Mother Russia!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
I see nothing bad in this, Russia makes a profitable deal with India. If this were a deal between the USA and India would it even make the news?

It is not bad per se. However, when you look at the defence component of these deals and consider that India was a staunch ally of the west, it does make one question which side countries will fall on in asia.

Panama: Canal Will Stay Open to Russian Warship

Did you know that Russia can sail through the Panama Canal again for the first time since world war 2? I don't see US warships moving close to Russian territory, in fact last time the US got close to Russia was in Georgia and Russia invaded in the end and put the kibosh on Georgia and Ukraine joining NATO.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I thought India already had Nuclear relations with the US, this is going to be funny.

-Ign0RanT

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Any concerns about an axis of 'East - West' or 'Russia and America' and Americans believing the rest of the world should pick a side defined through America's lens should be shelved. It's only really America that is desperate to perpetuate this paradigm now, and probably in the past too. Post-WWII, America exploited the fact that it was on a roll and pressured (economically, politically and militarily) the rest of the world into seeing world divisions as America saw them.

As America's grip on the world slowly loosens, more and more countries will now 'pick and choose' allegiances based on how it affects them directly rather than how it may play out in America's various foreign policies.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
Any concerns about an axis of 'East - West' or 'Russia and America' and Americans believing the rest of the world should pick a side defined through America's lens should be shelved.

I don't think that is accurate in the presumption that some of the states who has been terrorized or economically destroyed in will not seek to return the favor; not all societies have such short attention spans as sometimes seem the American norm.

It's only really America that is desperate to perpetuate this paradigm now, and probably in the past too.

The Sino- Russian alliance isn't an abstraction that can denied for 'feel good' effect. The fact that it comes as response to continuing western imperialism hardly invalidates it.

Post-WWII, America exploited the fact that it was on a roll and pressured (economically, politically and militarily) the rest of the world into seeing world divisions as America saw them.

Killing by military means or disease and starvation many hundreds of millions of the worlds citizens ( and good numbers of their own) over the last half century. Forgiveness is clearly widespread ( American citizens are not being held responsible; but they might if the victims understood the why's and the how's as we do) but i wouldn't depend on just that in the future.

As America's grip on the world slowly loosens, more and more countries will now 'pick and choose' allegiances based on how it affects them directly rather than how it may play out in America's various foreign policies.

Right and clearly the major alliance of formerly terrorized nations have already made their stance clear in the face of renewed/continuing western aggression.

Stellar

new topics

top topics

join