It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Staffer Caught in Compromising Position

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Question No. 58 in the transition team vetting document for the Obama White House asks that applicants: "Please provide the URL address of any websites that feature you in either a personal or professional capacity (e.g. Facebook, My Space, etc.)" Question No. 63 asks that applicants "please provide any other information ... that could ... be a possible source of embarrassment to you, your family, or the President-Elect." For a while there this afternoon, President-elect Barack Obama's immensely talented chief speechwriter, 27-year-old Jon Favreau, might have been pondering how to address that question. That's when some interesting photos of a recent party he attended -- including one where he's dancing with a life-sized cardboard cut-out of secretary of state-designate Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, and another where he's placed his hand on the cardboard former first lady's chest while a friend is offering her lips a beer -- popped up on Facebook for about two hours. The photos were quickly taken down -- along with every other photo Favreau had of himself on the popular social networking site, save for one profile headshot. Asked about the photos, Favreau, who was recently appointed director of speechwriting for the White House, declined comment. A transition official said that Favreau had "reached out to Senator Clinton to offer an apology."

This is just another way Obama and crew will add a touch of class and grace to the Whitehouse.

See link for the prize winning photo. Not one I'd be to proud of.

voices.washingtonpost.com...

[edit on 5-12-2008 by jibeho]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well... Can't say they're not from the people for the people

Actually... You know... I've never been drunk enought to fing Mrs. Clinton attractive... I perfer dancing with real woman...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I was always under the impression that euphemisms like 'caught with hand in the cookie jar' referred to theft of some sort.

I'm not sure how the thread title/phrase actually relates to the actual story.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
seems like the vetting process worked.
you can't judge someone's boss by how the employees conduct themselves.
i'll bet the majority of the world's population has some embarassing photos,blog-posts,etc.
he apologized for an obviously alcohol- fueled incident.
i doubt he's a bad person. but who among us are 100% perfect.
the past administration had a few missteps by its employees.
we're all human after all.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Sorry about the title. When I read the story and saw the staffer with his hand on Hillary's chest, the cookie jar euphemism was the first to pop into my head. I suppose I was comparing Hilary's chest to the cookie jar.

I suppose the picture would be funnier if it was Madeline Albright.

edit to add content

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Personally, this is nothing IMO.

Wow, shock horror! This guy is a real person and has a chuckle with his friends now and then! What a surprise!

Over-reaction much?

If she's an intelligent woman (and I believe she is) she'll laugh it off, make a joke and get on with the real work. Not like the public and the media who'll languish on this and milk it for all it's worth.

Seriously, if this is all you guys can dig up on the new administration, you're damn lucky to have them!

I'd recommend focusing on the real issues instead of going after a guy who had a laugh at a party once.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by heather65

This guy is the director of speech writing for the White House. Shouldn't he be above this? The guy is totally out of line. But I guess his age 27, reflects his maturity level. He has grown up accepting sites such as facebook and myspace as the norm. Most of America has no clue about these sites. When are people going to learn that these sites will get them into trouble or cost them a job. My brother is a recruiter for a Fortune 500 company and he checks out every candidate that comes across his desk on these sites. He has tossed out a lot of excellent resumes based on what he has seen and read.

We took plenty of party pictures when I was in college but, do you think we would be dumb enough to post them on the web. I see girls in my office with not so flattering drunk shots of themselves posted in their cubes for the whole world to see including their boss. Frankly, I could care less what you do in your spare time. Leave it at home or in the Photo Album.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
so an alcohol fueled mistake is a reason to lose one's job?
by that logic, many people would be out of a job monday morning after the coming weekend.
he apologized. what more should he do? community service? shine mrs. clinton's shoes for a week?
past administrations have included people who have said or did worse than what this young man has done. yet, they were still able to retain there positions.
this "incident" you've been so eager to point out, pales in comparison with other deeds.
i am sure once obama takes office, there will be so many other important issues to occupy your time.
you've got 4 yrs, maybe 8. so, you should pace yourself.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by heather65]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

The guy can laugh all he wants or cut holes in the cardboard cut out wherever he wants. I could care less. I question the judgment used in actually posting the pictures. If this dude was chosen to be the chief speech writer, he should have been smart enough to keep that picture off of his web page. It shows a lack of respect and arrogance IMO.

I suppose he posted it to please people and to make the Obama White House appear cool and hip. Hey dude, that speech writer dude is just like us dude. Awesome!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I've done a lot worse at his age and older. I don't see any problem with this. It's a cardboard cut-out. Not a real person. It may show some disrespect, but are we expecting perfection here?

I am not.
I'm expecting humanity and truth. I can handle a little cardboard grope.

jibeho - Was your "class and grace" comment sarcasm? Because I didn't get that until I saw your reply to heather. I think it's pretty classy to come clean about mistakes instead of trying to hide them.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

We have all made alcohol fueled mistakes but posting your mistakes for the whole world to see is a different ball game. You post your mistakes and its fair game for anyone, absolutely anyone to scrutinize.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
he should have been smart enough to keep that picture off of his web page.

Did HE put it on the Internet? I don't think the article said that.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Question is..did this occur IN the white house, and ON DUTY..tho Obama's admin is not officialy sworn in yet...and does it really matter what these human beings do since they are subject to human faults just like the rest of us?

They are not God's people!! They are people just like us. They are entitled to have fun, make mistakes, learn from them, and continue on.

Its all just more rumor/tabloid/gossip/trash topic matter IMO.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

sigh...well, you obviously disagree.
out of curiousity, what bush employees should be fired?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I've done a lot worse at his age and older. I don't see any problem with this. It's a cardboard cut-out. Not a real person. It may show some disrespect, but are we expecting perfection here?

I am not.
I'm expecting humanity and truth. I can handle a little cardboard grope.

jibeho - Was your "class and grace" comment sarcasm? Because I didn't get that until I saw your reply to heather. I think it's pretty classy to come clean about mistakes instead of trying to hide them.

How could he not come clean about his mistakes. The pictures were posted on line. Someone was bound to find them. He would be even dumber to try and lie about them.

Like I have said before, I could care less about the incident, the groping of the cutout etc. It is the stupidity of posting the pictures, applying for a high profile White House job and thinking nothing of it. The one guy is wearing an Obama staff Tshirt.

I guess I am just a curmudgeon that still respects himself and his family. You can criticize me all you want. My old party pictures are packed away in box and I will go through them from time to time and have a good laugh. I would never post them on my own page. My brother has passed up a lot of talented job candidates based on what he has seen on their web pages.

Time to grow up.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by heather65
reply to post by jibeho

sigh...well, you obviously disagree.
out of curiousity, what bush employees should be fired?

I never said anyone should be fired.

If anything, this should be a wake up call to all the maroons who have stupid pictures posted on their web pages

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

soooo...ok, what should be done other than self-policing of one's photos and activities.
anything? oh, well i guess the apology should be sufficient.
bad judgement=apology to offended party/parties.
well, that was easy. or was it?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I guess am just amazed at how desensitized our nation has become over the years. We have had far to many years of in your face TV shows and journalism, that everyone is numb nowadays and just accepts everything that is shown to them as the norm. Without a question or a doubt, everything is cool.

There is just an overwhelming lack of self- respect and respect for others that is disturbing. This occurrence is a prime example. The chief speechwriter groping a cut out of a former first lady, US Senator, and Secretary of State. This twirp clearly isn't ready for the role he is about to undertake. He clearly lacks Wisdom and forethought. Welcome to the new and improved White House. I would expect MTV to be filming the next Spring Break series from the White House lawn this year.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Thank you for posting this. I like to know what these people are made of and this shows me, visually, much about them.

I've never been one to dismiss anyone's actions because "they were drunk" and I never will be.

That picture says a thousand words of how they feel about women and professionalism.

"Obama Staff"

Interesting to see why a man with so little experience will soon be running the United States of America and how he was voted in.......... because of some verbally gifted typical drunk college dude. Yee-gads.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

exactly.
not a one-line post.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join