It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depleted Uranium Weapons Turning Iraq Into Nuclear Nightmare

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

The speaker is not some alarmist doomsayer. He is Dr. Chris Busby, the British radiation expert, Fellow of the University of Liverpool in the Faculty of Medicine and UK representative on the European Committee on Radiation Risk, talking about the best-kept secret of this war: the fact that by illegally using hundreds of tons of depleted uranium (DU) against Iraq, Britain and America have gravely endangered not only the Iraqis but the whole world.
For these weapons have released deadly, carcinogenic and mutagenic, radioactive particles in such abundance that-whipped up by sandstorms and carried on trade winds - there is no corner of the globe they cannot penetrate-including Britain. For the wind has no boundaries and time is on their side: the radioactivity persists for over 4,500,000,000 years and can cause cancer, leukemia, brain damage, kidney failure, and extreme birth defects - killing millions of every age for centuries to come. A crime against humanity which may, in the eyes of historians, rank with the worst atrocities of all time.

Truthout.org - "I'm horrified. The people out there - the Iraqis, the media and the troops - risk the most appalling ill health. And the radiation from depleted uranium can travel literally anywhere. It's going to destroy the lives of thousands of children, all over the world. We all know how far radiation can travel. Radiation from Chernobyl reached Wales and in Britain you sometimes get red dust from the Sahara on your car."

Link to complete article:
www.nationalexpositor.com...

I had read previously how we were putting depleted uranium in our bullets and weapons.

I am putting quite a bit of the article in here: due to the importance of this information:

'Depleted' uranium is in many ways a misnomer. 'Depleted' sounds weak. The only weak thing about depleted uranium is its price. It is dirt cheap, toxic, waste from nuclear power plants and bomb production. However, uranium is one of earth's heaviest elements, spontaneously catching fire as it does so, and burning people alive. 'Crispy critters' is what US servicemen call those unfortunate enough to be close. And, when John Pilger encountered children killed at a greater distance he wrote: "The children's skin had folded back, like parchment, revealing veins and burnt flesh that seeped blood, while the eyes, intact, stared straight ahead. I vomited." (Daily Mirror)

Now, there is so much more in the article - and personally I can not express in words nor writting - how this makes me feel - and the amount of anger! So I will not try.

BUT - I WILL say - if this "alone" does not warrant - who ever ordered to have depleted uranium a part of our "war on terror" in Iraq - SHOULD BE tried in front of the world for "War Crimes". Due to the fact this may be - the worst EVER in history of criminal acts against ALL of mankind!

This is not just about the "war" and killing those over in Iraq - by using the uranium - it will kill people all around the world and keep going for generations to come.

Please read the article. Pregnant women in Iraq - do not ask if their child they will have is a boy or girl anymore - they ask "will it be normal"?

DU (depleted uranium) was used in the "Gulf War" - since then - read how many thousands of our own troops/veterans have died. Also - they too have had abnormal childern with birth defects.

The government of the U.S. - seems to claim they are the keepers of making sure everyone else doesn't create and use WMD - yet - more and more evidence is coming out that we are secretly and ongoing users of WMD against the world.

The possibility that financial considerations have led the governments of Britain and America to cynically avoid taking responsibility for the harm they have done not only to the people of Iraq but to their own troops may seem outlandish. Yet DU weapons weren't used by the other side and no other explanation fits the evidence. For, in the days before Britain and America first used DU in war its hazards were no secret.[4] One American study in 1990 said DU was 'linked to cancer when exposures are internal, [and to] chemical toxicity-causing kidney damage'. While another openly warned that exposure to these particles under battlefield conditions could lead to cancers of the lung and bone, kidney damage, non-malignant lung disease, neuro-cognitive disorders, chromosomal damage and birth defects.[5]

Britain and America not only used DU in this year's Iraq war, they dramatically increased its use-from a minimum of 320 tons in the previous war to at minimum of 1500 tons in this one. And this time the use of DU wasn't limited to anti-tank weapons-as it had largely been in the previous Gulf war-but was extended to the guided missiles, large bunker busters and big 2000-pound bombs used in Iraq's cities. This means that Iraq's cities have been blanketed in lethal particles-any one of which can cause cancer or deform a child. In addition, the use of DU in huge bombs which throw the deadly particles higher and wider in huge plumes of smoke means that billions of deadly particles have been carried high into the air-again and again and again as the bombs rained down-ready to be swept worldwide by the winds.

My question is:
How can we stop this? How is it, our leaders have gone so morally downhill and decrepit - how can they sleep at night? They have to know - what they are doing will affect the world for generations and generations.
Why - what is the reasoning of them doing this - when it does affect the whole world?

Those answers are beyond me. In fact, I was one of those sheeple a few months ago - until I did my own research on things I thought were not right with the government.

I also know for years now - I have called my government officals and even emailed the White House (President) with what I thought about a certain bill etc. I thought raising my voice would make a difference.

I found out, a few months ago it doesn't - due to when I called every congress person and Senator - to stand up against the FISA bill. I was told they were getting calls after calls - against it! Did they listen to "THE PEOPLE" - NO -they passed it.

The same with the "bailout" - I called and emailed all of them - with my being against it. Again - they had thousands of calls from "THE PEOPLE" - YET - it was voted in.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Do I try and raise my voice anymore - since the "bailout" - NO.

But do I still feel the need to try and "make a difference" - YES.

The question to myself and everyone else is:

Do WE TRY and do something about what is going on with the U.S. using DU?

You tell me!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Of course but how.
What will cause the people to get that mad and what can they really do about it??

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I have a thread about DU, and its consequences. We have to do something to get it cleaned up, a thing that the US and UK flatly refuse to do. This kind of weaponry that the UN declared WMD and illegal, that was studied in great detail by Japanese experts amongst others, that despite the US coming up with some shoddy research in recent years, was villified by the Cambridge studies, and by their own studies, the Manhatten Project. They embarked on this with full knowledge of what they doing. And they were not only destroying entire regions for 4.5 billion years, regions prone to dust storms, that blew that dust globally, hence the were doing this to the entire world.

Apparently, the fine micro dust which has been the consequence since Yugoslavia, the Gulf Wars, Afghanistan, and now Iraq, has been released by a mega amount, and has BONDED permanently with the global atmosphere. We're all breathing in countless thousands of this with every breath! They've found the contamination in the US, in the Antarctic, in the Himalayas. It bonds with our dna, and fires canons of waves at our cells, then it breaks down a bit, and fires even more.

They can clean it up, but unless they are sitting on some secret advanced technology, like many believe, we can't reverse this. 4.5 billion years. Over time some think it will kill up to half of all life on earth including bacteria, and mutate the reset. That's the worse case scenario. Its not like a disease you become immune to. It builds in the body, continues breaking down and firing its rays off. All the vets from that area have been affected so strongly.

The legislation that has prevented depleted uranium waste from mixing with our scrap metal has been watered down. Its mixed with our scrap metals globally, and could be in cars, fridges, toys. It is used in some things deliberately, things that can crash and burn and emit these fine dust particles, such as some parts in jets and race cars.

This is the pure luciferean insanity of the elite. How do we stop it? By any means necessary. First by acknowedging its there. Second, en mass, with many signatures, demanding action begins to clean it up, giving them only a certain period of time to respond to the demand before using absolute force if necessary. Its that kind of important.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It's not known to many that America, during discussions with the Allies after WWII about Germany, wanted to destroy businesses in Germany and reduce their society back to the stone age.

When America occupied Japan after WWII They destroyed many businesses too, ensuring Japan would be struggling for many years to come.

I only learned that recently. All I had read was about how well run the Japan occupation was, and in many ways that was true, and that sort of occupation in Iraq, which the military leaders had planned for, would not have been nearly as bad as this.

However Bush would not listen to the military planners because a well run occupation was not his objective. The aim was simply to destroy Iraq.

People who have swallowed the propaganda about how terrible it was to live under Saddam have no idea what a normal, western-type society Iraq was then, in which Muslim women were studying, driving to work, and living modern lives. Iraq was a beacon to other Muslim countries, and was making Muslims more "like us." In order to take over the Middle East, advanced Muslim societies had to be stopped, otherwise Westerners might feel a kinship and object to the slaughter.

What politician's wife was it who traveled to Saudi Arabia to lecture the women there on the rights they should be demanding?
Being well educated and knowing how America had utterly destroyed the freedom of women in Iraq, the women being addressed politely stifled their giggles until later.

The fact that DU could destroy America's soldiers over there was never an issue. Anyone who has seen how appallingly members of the armed forces are treated after they come home realises the government wants them to just curl up and die rather than return to the States.

Many are now ill from it, and the military has done nothing but lie and cover it up.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq

This is the pure luciferean insanity of the elite. How do we stop it? By any means necessary. First by acknowedging its there. Second, en mass, with many signatures, demanding action begins to clean it up, giving them only a certain period of time to respond to the demand before using absolute force if necessary. Its that kind of important.

I am game - lets do SOMETHING!

I agree with a petition - the problem is - how do we get that "MASS PRODUCED"? How do we get it "around the world"?

All of us at ATS could 'actually' come up with something - that can be effective if we try and do it together.

The first thing though - is: "People have to be educated" about this and understand it is real.

Do we begin by getting veterans who have been affected by this involved?

I would like to know that my voice does matter - as a citizen of the U.S. and world. I don't want those 'little' letters that the Congress and Senate - send back to me - "Thanking me for contributing to the process of government, by letting them know how I feel"! Considering they have NEVER LISTENED to the American public - when it is overwhelmingly against what they plan on doing.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Flashback: U.S. Counterinsurgency Manual Leaked, Calls for False Flag Operations, Suspension of Human Rights

In 2005 a number of credible media reports suggested the Pentagon was intensely debating “the Salvador option” for Iraq.

According to the New York Times Magazine:
The template for Iraq today is not Vietnam, with which it has often been compared, but El Salvador, where a right-wing government backed by the United States fought a leftist insurgency in a 12-year war beginning in 1980. The cost was high — more than 70,000 people were killed, most of them civilians, in a country with a population of just six million. Most of the killing and torturing was done by the army and the right-wing death squads affiliated with it.

According to an Amnesty International report in 2001, violations committed by the army and associated groups included ‘‘extrajudicial executions, other unlawful killings, ‘disappearances’ and torture. . . . Whole villages were targeted by the armed forces and their inhabitants massacred.’’

As part of President Reagan’s policy of supporting anti-Communist forces, hundreds of millions of dollars in United States aid was funneled to the Salvadoran Army, and a team of 55 Special Forces advisers, led for several years by Jim Steele, trained front-line battalions that were accused of significant human rights abuses.

It's the American way.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

This is one of the issues most people are in complete denial about. Its so critically important, with so many consequences to the entire globe, yet, with research done by the most credentialed sources, yet most prefer to rely on whatever the US has to say about it.

The first step is waking people up to what is happening. Then, its really throwing the collective weight around, which should be done a lot more. This is an urgent issue, and what has been done, there's no turning back, except some clean up can happen, and some technology may exist.

The problem is most don't even believe something with this kind of consequence has been done. They rely on the fact that the metals are low radiation. Its not the metals that are the significant problem. A tank that hasn't exploded is still radiactive, but less so than other sources. Its when they explode, like bullets do, like bombs do. When bullets are spent, 30% turn in to this fine nano dust, bombs, nearly 100%. Its the nano dust thats the problem. Somehow the first step is waking people up. Then, surely on such a life and death issue for their own children, they will insist on change.

So this is an excellent thread! Starred and flagged. This topic needs as much coverage as possible.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Fungi lock depleted uranium out of harm's way

Humble fungi found in most back gardens could help clean up battlefields contaminated with depleted uranium.

At present, sites can be partial decontaminated by physically collecting and disposing of fragments from shells. However, radioactive particles and dust from explosions remain in the soil, preventing full reclamation.

Now, a research team in Scotland has established that common fungi can grow on and chemically lock away the offending uranium. As their hyphal filaments sprawled across fragments of depleted uranium, the tubules gradually became coated in a yellowy mineral.

This, it turned out, locked the uranium into a chemical form inaccessible to biological organisms, and unlikely to dissolve into surface waters.

At twice the density of lead, depleted uranium is added to weapons to give them extra force to penetrate targets. But the complete fallout from exploding missiles is impossible to collect physically. This means that hazardous radioactive uranium-235 in the material, which can cause kidney toxicity and has been linked with nerve damage and lung cancer, can persist in the environment for decades.

source

Amazing how something so simple can do something so extrodinary. This doesn't change the fact that it will take generations for mother nature to reverse the damage we have done, but we need to stop abusing our planet the way we do. Plastics are just as bad as DU and yet we still keep on our destructive ways.

Garbage Island

Mankind is the virus of the planet, and without a global awakening on how our actions effect our home, we won't have one that will support us anymore. If our actions had next day results, we would be more aware of the consequences, but some of our current actions will take years to centuries to realize the impact.

We can only hope that we aren't too late to make a difference in saving ourselves and our planet. If you want a start on making an issue public and getting people aware, start a facebook page and inform people.
Edit: Facebook page that exists.
DU Facebook

I believe we are living in a great time, with so many economic problems it has forced us to analyze what we have done in the past and come up with better ways to deal with the issues at hand. There is still hope and I myself have started to realize that good intentions don't fix a big problem, but changing your every day actions can.

I appologize for going a little off the immediate topic, but it is just one slice out of bigger problem that needs our attention. If we can band together on a global scale amazing things could happen.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by airteck]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This one has me speechless. The damnable deeds of governments is becoming a heavy burden indeed. Public education is where to start.
This documentary is from 2004, yet the first I have heard of it.
Caution, very graphic.

video.google.com...#

edit to add: It's titled "The Doctor, the depleted Uranium, and the dying children."

[edit on 5-12-2008 by wayno]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Think what you want of talk sows, but I remember a few months before his show was canceled, Montel Williams had a show highlighting DU in Iraq.

It is no coincidence to me that he was canned shortly therafter.

I may be overstating things but I do beleive that certain evil minds within our government/military want to intentionally cause as much pain as possible within Iraq, and the DU is a way of doing this under the radar.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by airteck

Fungi can make us sick. I've read this, and in some areas this could really speed along clean ups. But when it mixed globally to our atmosphere, thats really scary. It can't be unglued either. I've read what its like, a particle falling on a rock in the creek, bonds permanently to the rock and can never be removed. There may be some hidden technology that we know little of as well.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I was thinking...we also use this stuff as armor plating on our tanks and such, so I did a search and this is what wiki says
"Depleted uranium (DU) is uranium primarily composed of the isotope uranium-238 (U-238). Natural uranium is about 99.27 percent U-238, 0.72 percent U-235, and 0.0055 percent U-234. Because U-235 is used for fission in nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons, natural uranium is enriched in U-235 by separating the isotopes by mass. The byproduct of enrichment, called depleted uranium or DU, contains less than one third as much U-235 and U-234 as natural uranium. Because U-234 accounts for about half the radioactivity of natural uranium, the external radiation dose from DU is about 60 percent of that from the same mass of natural uranium.[2] Another less common source of DU is reprocessed spent nuclear reactor fuel, which can be distinguished from DU produced as a byproduct of uranium enrichment by the presence of U-236,[3] produced in reactors. In the past, DU has been called Q-metal, depletalloy, and D-38, but those names are no longer used.

DU is used for its very high density of 19.1 g/cm3. Civilian uses include counterweights in aircraft, radiation shielding in medical radiation therapy and industrial radiography equipment, and containers used to transport radioactive materials. Military uses include defensive armor plating and armor-piercing projectiles.

Depleted uranium munitions are controversial because of unanswered questions about potential long-term health effects. DU is less toxic than other heavy metals such as arsenic and mercury, and is only very weakly radioactive because of its long half-life.[4] While any radiation exposure has risks, no conclusive epidemiological data have correlated DU exposure to specific human health effects such as cancer.[5] However, the UK government has attributed birth defect claims from a 1991 Gulf War combat veteran to DU poisoning,[6][7] and studies using cultured cells and laboratory rodents continue to suggest the possibility of leukemogenic, genetic, reproductive, and neurological effects from chronic exposure.[8] In early 2004, the UK Pensions Appeal Tribunal Service attributed birth defect claims from a February 1991 Gulf War combat veteran to depleted uranium poisoning.[9][10] A 2005 epidemiology review concluded: "In aggregate the human epidemiological evidence is consistent with increased risk of birth defects in offspring of persons exposed to DU."[11]

pretty scary stuff. I handled a DU munition from a tank, my brother brought back from the gulf war...no problems, that I know of, but still very troubling. good post.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by AKARonco]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well here is my thread, which I provided links to a lot of the research that has been conducted along with reports on the cbc news of dumping tons of depleted uranium spent ammunition off our shorelines in prime fishing areas.

Along with research I could find into what metals they're using this in for civilian use, weights in sports cars and jets, and different technologies, used in dyes, I'm hoping not procion mx which I used a lot for my spinning and weaving. The list just goes on. I'm providing this link because I don't want to repeat all of that research: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Hang on.

(Goes out side takes a huge breath of fresh air)

ahh recharged and glowing.

It's sad because we do this to ourselves, we disrespect Mother Earth by stripping her from the oceans to every continent, then we dump back all the toxic waste into areas we think no-one can see. Kind of like a toddler crapping his nappies, but the smell always gets out and everyone knows, except this is much worse.

Slow death or death by slow poison?

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hearing about this it reminds that Bush put an article in a bill about him not being able to get in trouble for war crimes. I wonder if this is why he put that in? Anyway that was true for the Gulf War also. They say that sand storms kick up that stuff from the first Gulf War still. And that is why our Soldiers kids have defects/or more of a chance. But to be able to travel around the world that is scary. I guess everyone will follow Dubai and put a protective shield around their country so we have clear air.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by isa75] delete was answered the question in the OP.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by isa75]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
S & F for you. Thanks for bringing this up. You wouldn't believe (or you might) how many people I know who are still defending this war. This means our troops are coming home carrying this. What's worse, is that within a year or two after the war started, CNN and History Channel, other outlets as well, were bragging about how good these DU weapons were. Pathetic. Now everybody wants to say that Bush and his cronies have a legal war, how about laying waste to a country using radiation. If the use of DU is illegal, then fry Bush, Cheney, and the Generals who agreed to use these weapons.

What really needs to happen, is for the troops to stand up and say they won't fight this illegal war anymore! You can imprison only so many, but not 200,000.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Excellent Post - thanks as I had not come across this. The video post is well worth watching also.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
That might be a good buisness venture to get started in. The removal of DU spent rounds. After all they are easy to find if you have the right equipment.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Take 88 minutes and 48 seconds of your time and educate yourself

Beyond Treason - Full Documentary on the effects of DU and the possible links to Gulf Syndrome and birth deformations.

Google Video Link

MoonMine

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join