It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australias main telco Telstra says Net filtering useless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Australias main telco Telstra says Net filtering useless

www.itwire.com

Telstra’s Greg Winn has poured cold water over the Government’s filtering plans, saying it's akin to trying to “boil the ocean” and that people will find a way around it, while GetUp!’s campaign to “Save the Net” draws huge support from Australians.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
For once we have Telsra on our side so to speak.

More from Telstra

As the Internet filtering debate continues rocking Australian ISPs, Internet users and the Federal Government, Australia’s biggest ISP and dominant Telco, Telstra, has shared its views on the merits or otherwise of filtering.

www.itwire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Can you fill me in on exactly what the Aussie government is trying to filter? I read the article and it kind of alluded to the government wanting internet filtering to to reduce criminal activity, but I fail to see the correlation between the two.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by zephyrs
Can you fill me in on exactly what the Aussie government is trying to filter? I read the article and it kind of alluded to the government wanting internet filtering to to reduce criminal activity, but I fail to see the correlation between the two.

Sure can - check this out

No Clean Feed

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Link to discussion thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a link to The Age

Support for the Government's plan to censor the internet has hit rock bottom, with even some children's welfare groups now saying that that the mandatory filters, aimed squarely at protecting kids, are ineffective and a waste of money.

Let's hope they scrap it!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Link to discussion thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a link to The Age

Support for the Government's plan to censor the internet has hit rock bottom, with even some children's welfare groups now saying that that the mandatory filters, aimed squarely at protecting kids, are ineffective and a waste of money.

Let's hope they scrap it!

Thanks Chadwickus I forgot there was an active thread. I'll paste my stuff ito there - ta

Mods kill tread if you wish

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

No need to scrap it, it's good to keep this top of mind, that other thread is virtually dead anyway, just thought I'd post it for others benefits to get a better understanding.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Most of the major Telcos make their money off Broadband that's bundled with low money making local/international calls and mobiles.

If the filtering goes ahead and it slows down speeds (some projections were up to 80%) then a lot of people (myself included) would've given the net the boot.

Telstra and the others who are now offering their own broadband packages stand to lose a lot of money if people go offline in droves.

So, yeah their on our side, but for their own greedy reasons.
But I guess we should be grateful regardless.

As a side note, funny how the government wanted to spend billions on getting faster broadband to most of Australia and yet want to slow it down these filters.

Thank god they didn't waste all that money.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
That’s fine did you read the Telstra standpoint that has to be a boost don’t you think. I mean if they reckon its useless what more do you need to say. Did you see the money raised so far - amazing

top topics

join