It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no such thing as predicting the Future!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
There is no such thing as predicting the future!

Predicting the future makes it sound like some entity grasped knowledge of an unknown event that was completely unpredictable to begin with.

This is not possible for several reasons.

First - Predicting the future is nothing more than me saying that by pressing keys on my laptop i can expect to see letters appear on the screen. It's cause and effect. Any entity that wants to prove it's meddle as a prophet must be able to predict insignificant events. If you cannot predict that Joe Blow will be midly dissatisfied when he finds out his
corner store is out of his favorite type of beer then you cannot be expected to be able to predict important events.

Why - because if you can only predict major events it proves that you are simply reading the world and deciding a likely conclusion based on the available resources.

Second - The future is not random. Events from the past have led us to the present and the present will lead us to the future. It is just as reasonable for me to make predictions of things that i believe will NOT happen as it is for someone to say they can predict what WILL happen without basing their conclusions off of their surroundings and knowledge.

I can predict that my hands will not turn into an elephant and a prophet can predict that a corrupt society will fail. These are both common knowledge and only prove my theory correct. You CANNOT predict the future because you do not live in a vacuum. All prophecy is based on current knowledge, experience, and synthesis.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
With all the hype these days about one prediction or another whether from a mystic or a Web computer either way I say let’s see if I can get any right and let’s see how accurate I am in one year!

1. Oil prices will change in 2009
2. There will be an earthquake somewhere in the world.
3. China will become a superpower or not
4. The American economy will do something.
5. The EU will do something with the EURO.
6. Russia will do something Russian.
7. The US will swear in a new President
8. People will be suspicious of government.
9. There will be armed conflict somewhere in the world.
10. A natural disaster will happen and people will die and get hurt.
11. Something will burn down.
12. A plane will crash.
13. The Dollar will change it’s value.
14. Somebody famous will die.
15. The stock market will do something

[edit on 4-12-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
i couldn't help but smile at the russian comment

let me add to your predictions. armed conflict will take place somwhere where there are arms.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
and yet, when i do a witchcraft spell or two i can direct the outcome to be what I want it to be - interesting - wouldnt you say?

but then if everything at the sub atomic level is in a state of flux then of course we can see future events and shape future events - some much more effectively than others

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
tell more about these spells. i don't know quite what you mean so could you go into a little more detail?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
You are so right. There is no way to predicting the future. . . but I predict that they will find a way in the future!!!

I'm off to lie down in a darkened room for a couple of hours...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hey, don't bash me (eep!) but I thought I'd get some words in, even if I'm not so highly intellectual as you lot

Mozzy and Slayer, I do agree with your comments. Slayer, you did make me laugh somewhat with your list

However all that list proves is yes, of course all of that will happen. It's natural. Of course the price of the dollar, for example, to the GBP will change, it'll either go up or down. But you're just stating the obvious.

But what happens when someone, say me (not that I'm a great example), were to say I had a dream/prediction that someone famous, (lets use Britney Spears as an example) were to be in a car crash, 22 June 09, 08:21am, suffers from a spinal injury and ends up paralysed from the neck down.

Now, with that, would you say it is just pure luck / an educated guess, or it is in fact a prediction? What do think of Nostradamus?

My rather recent, and possibly quite lame example, was that just before I woke up one Thursday morning, I was dreaming that I'd lost 4lb at my weigh in that day. Didn't weigh myself or cheat til I got to my diet class and found out I did in fact lose 4lb. But then again, maybe it was my bodies own way of telling me this through a dream format
ah well, it's a novelty to me, haha!

[edit: I realise I've used the word 'example' a lot, haha!]

[edit on 5-12-2008 by emmy]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
did you really dream that about spears or is that an example? (i don't keep up with pop culture to know if that happened or not)

the prediction about yourself would fit perfectly into the category i presented. you know yourself and your body and you are probably aware of calorie intake vs. weight loss and could come to that conclusion easily. maybe even go so far as to round up or down from 3-5 pounds to hit the mark of 4.

had you predicted that you would lose 30 pounds and then discovered a "secret weight loss" formula that causes fat to burn at superspeed then that would be an example of predicting something that was completely unpredictable. well not exactly but it would be much closer to actual future telling.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Mozzy]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

I was looking to see something presented and verifiable proof. Then I simply got your personal opinion.

Do I believe we can read the future? Well, our government does. So does many other governments which is proven over and over through their MANY black projects.

As for me? It's tough to say. Let's just say that there is MUCH MUCH more to this universe than we have even begun to understand.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
i can't prove something that doesn't exist. besides it doesn't take proof to ffigure this out. kinda like you don't need proof to know fast food makes you fat or that pot makes you dumb.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Mozzy]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

Heh heh, no, that was just an example about Britney!
Yeah, I thought it was a little spooky when I lost the weight, but after some rational thinking and awareness that was the conclusion that I came to, that it was my body telling me that. But, when you think about it, that's quite intelligent for your own body to tell you that, makes me wonder

But as far as detail goes, say a really vivid dream, you take down intimate details of an event that can happen a year later, and it's something you can stop, does that class it as Paranormal?

I do believe there is such thing as predicting the future, but as Slayer listed, those things are things which change and happen all the time, will happen, no denying it. There is a definite boundary though, between fact and paranormal.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

every example & answer to predicting the future was loaded with too many 'variables'

an 'event' may have occured as foreseen or predicted... but the subject might have PMS that morning and changed the course of variable events that particular day. ~~~so one must factor in the chance/random/chaos/free-will factor into the Foresight equasion.

what i suggest ain't a cop-out... it is just speaking the facts !

humans are fickle and unpredictable (for whatever reason at the time)
and therefore logical progressions are not reliable predictions.

however, formulas or likelyhoods are concrete constructs...
no matter your/ones' disbelief parimeters

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
good point about the body knowing, that if anything, should be considered supernatural. except that it's natural, lol

i don't knwo what paranormal really means. but that seems like a pretty good example. i supposed you could start getting all quantum about it and say this and that. i think that would still be considered predicting events that are intimately related to you and your knowledge of the world. down to the minute detail would be paranormal or real close i'd say. then again you'd have to ahve a detailed record of the dream cause after a year you'd be likely to start remembering details just to make the dream fit.

i think predicting the future should be viewed in perspective as i was meaning by the thread title. i can easily predit things that will not possibly happen, this does not mean that i'm an outside observer that has secret knowledge. it just means i'm using my eyes and ears to observe teh way the world works.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

true true, but you'd have to be very familiar with the "prediction" process to know what would be breaking the predicted future and what was supposed to happen anywya. if even "experts" can do such a thing.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

foolish for many reasons. ugh. below is at least one example for you. the op thread is garbage. pure garbage

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 5-12-2008 by jimmy1200]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
the first video talks about chris who predicted an attack on a military base. he knew it because he saw dogs and a graveyard in his dream.

first of all, if this story was true chris woud've been arrested.

second, the video states there were 3 other terrorist attacks that month on military bases. what does this say about it?

last, this does only proves my theory even more. an attack on a military base by terrorists if a possiblity for anyone that watches the news. he may very well have seen a movie or watched a news show of one of the other terrorist attacks and had a dream about the nearest base to him. or the one he was most familiar with. there aren't many details in the story.

next video, chris reports about "someone" who is going to be killed in africa. a reporter. notice there is no connection given in the video to indicate chris is related or personally knows this person.

4 photographers were killed, chris did not know about the other three. this proves my theory even more.

do we have the abilities as humans to better understand our world than we currently understand? yes. does this mean that people are predicting the future? no. again, both of these cases support my theory that they had prior knowledge of the people/events involved and already had a firm worldly understanding of these events.

example..

my friend joe is an alcoholic. i see joe drinking. i think joe may get into a car crash and tell him not to drive. joe dies in a car crash. i did not "predict" the future. i simply realized this possibility as being very real based on the circumstances and my knowledge of the world.

for some reason there is a boundary between common sense and psychic poewr. you will dismiss my example about joe because it is ordinary and is common sense yet you will attribute psychi powers to the situation that you do not understand. both are the same thing.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
wow. i ask of those reading this thread to make sure you read through my replies to the op. thank you

first of all, if this story was true chris woud've been arrested.

it is true,and he was not arrested. im sure it was omitted from the video, but i would like to believe they still at least questioned chris after the incident. especially considering it was only a month after chris went to the base, that it was attacked.

second, the video states there were 3 other terrorist attacks that month on military bases. what does this say about it?

it says people were attacking bases. so what? what does that have to do with chris's premonition? ooooh, its because most people believe that you could easily deduce that another terrorist attack was going to happen, considering 3 already happened, and that chris's premonition was probably just a coincidence. i will address the fallacy in logic behind that later, and also keep in mind, the key word is, probably. there is no way to prove it was coincidence, or not, but wait, we do have more evidence that it was not a coincidence, because chris's dream hit it to the T. he saw terrorist, a bomb, and photographic equipment, and what happened, terrorist bombed a building holding the photographic equipment on the base.

also considering chris's track record, which i will address later, it was highly unlikely that it was just a coincidence, that a very sane individual had a pretty precise dream of a bombing that happened.

last, this does only proves my theory even more. an attack on a military base by terrorists if a possiblity for anyone that watches the news. he may very well have seen a movie or watched a news show of one of the other terrorist attacks and had a dream about the nearest base to him. or the one he was most familiar with. there aren't many details in the story.

i mean, seriously. okay, so for one, chris has a solid track record, especially considering he worked for scotland yard for two decades helping out with counter terrorisim. possibilities are just that, possibilities, and if he had randomly went to a base and said, another building will blow up, at some point in time in the future, and with no other details, or a track record of having these type of premonitions, then yes, chris robinson would be no more than another paranoid individual, but that is not his track record, nor is it the case.

4 photographers were killed, chris did not know about the other three. this proves my theory even more.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD. chris's dream showed him 4 DEAD PHOTOGRAPHERS. you watched the clip, right? jesus christ! he said he saw, 4 dead photographers
bees swarming around her family
seaside place
salt water will damage the lens
and f4.
4 photographers died, the bees must had represented pending death, he was filming marine women at the beach the day before he was killed (seaside), and the CAMERA LENS HE WAS USING WAS AN F4 LENS.

do we have the abilities as humans to better understand our world than we currently understand? yes. does this mean that people are predicting the future? no. again, both of these cases support my theory that they had prior knowledge of the people/events involved and already had a firm worldly understanding of these events.

you have no support of your "theory". whatever theory that is, because i dont see one. we do not understand time, space, gravity, CONSCIOUSNESS, etc... but yet your sitting here typing as if science has the authority to speak in absolutes, as if we have proven anything in our reality. we have yet to 100% prove anything, and probably never will. i think we should stop our pursuit for absolute proof, because it will never present itself for many reasons were scientifically aware of. although they may show themselves as theories within our books, that are accepted by many, and revolted by many, we actually do have very good philosophical and scientific models to help better understand our world. its just that these models dont support some of the mainstream views of our existence, and will continue to not really get shared with the same daylight as other mainstream beliefs on how our world works.

plus, well the solid truth is, if what many believe is true, you're god, playing the role of a dumb down consciousness. now, we cant go proving that people can manipulate reality like the matrix, now can we. nope, but it still doesnt stop the pursuit. there is already enough information out there, and at this point its just about suppressing it. not in the sense that you cant get it, but in the since that it will not be spoon fed to you through our education systems, or the tv most people sit in front of for hours a day.

my friend joe is an alcoholic. i see joe drinking. i think joe may get into a car crash and tell him not to drive. joe dies in a car crash. i did not "predict" the future. i simply realized this possibility as being very real based on the circumstances and my knowledge of the world.

predicting a logical outcome is not the same as precognition. people who have these visions or dreams, are seeing them, and are seeing them in more detail then what would be readily available through simple logical deduction. that should be obvious.

for some reason there is a boundary between common sense and psychic poewr. you will dismiss my example about joe because it is ordinary and is common sense yet you will attribute psychi powers to the situation that you do not understand. both are the same thing.

really, because common sense is not measurable, or testable, it is basically just a belief. some people say that its common sense that human beings cant fly, but that is merely a belief based off of their KNOWING knowledge of people being able to fly. key word is knowing, because even if a physicist with a phd claims that human beings cannot fly, and that it is common sense, he is really just basically saying that, contrary to the fact that i cannot 100% say its true that humans cant fly, due to our lack of knowledge of reality itself, im still going to say we cant, because i FEEL it makes sense, and other people, to whom probably dont have the knowledge to even say it makes no sense, say its not common sense, not that it may be technically impossible.

to be continued....

[edit on 6-12-2008 by jimmy1200]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
yay! well done,what age are you? 10? 12? such a smart little boy! We cant predict the future! have a cookie little one for figuring it out.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
aaaaaaaaaaah, i had so much typed out, and i accidentely hit my back button on the mouse. i'll retype it later. i had some good stuff to say, but i guess i'll just wait for any replies, if anyone wants me to add to what i said, or has any rebuttals.

just want to say, i dont have all the answers, like chris doesnt, and like people who have spent a majority of their life as scientist, journalist, etc.., dont. but i think we do have some good solid philosophical and scientific outlooks on reality that make alot of sense, that get ignored by the mainstream media, and our education system. which i think are for economic and social reasons, more than anything else.

yay! well done,what age are you? 10? 12? such a smart little boy! We cant predict the future! have a cookie little one for figuring it out.

who is that directed to?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
who cares how many photographers he saw in his dream. the point is he is not making predictions of things that he was completely unconnected to. maybe him and the main photographer were gay lovers and they had a serious bonding between them.

let's see chris predict what i'm gonna eat for breakfast tomorrow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join