It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radio Interference on My Computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I don't fully understand the spectrum of sound or radio waves.
Hopefully someone can enlighten me.
I have experienced some strange voices and transmissions
coming through my computer speakers. It has only happened
4 times and most recently happened about 5 minutes ago.
The speakers are on, but I have no audio files playing.
It is usually pretty inaudible but today I clearly heard a mans
voice yelling, "VRC, VRC, Silence Alert".
It gave me the chills.
My guitar amp picks up radio signal so often, that its problematic,
but not till recently have I had this happen on the computer.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

I have a very strange static all day on mine. I watch CNBC during the day on my computer and I tried changing the channel and that didn't work. No problem with the regular tv in the living room.

I was waiting for my husband to get home to see if he could figure it out.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Cool. Let me know if he has any input about this.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have developed computer systems for many years and we would always have to have our products certified by the FCC for RFI. Or radio frequency interference.

Radio waves are constantly radiating all around us. All computers are tested for various levels of Radio wave interference (RFI) but some computers are more susceptible than others depending on the design, physical makeup, it's components and their shielding.

The wires to the speakers for example are just powered antennas essentially and if you've got someone close to you , like a neighbor it could very well pick up the transmissions from a two way radio for example.

What kind of computer is it may I ask ?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

I have developed computer systems for many years and we would always have to have our products certified by the FCC for RFI. Or radio frequency interference.

Radio waves are constantly radiating all around us. All computers are tested for various levels of Radio wave interference (RFI) but some computers are more susceptible than others depending on the design, physical makeup, it's components and their shielding.

The wires to the speakers for example are just powered antennas essentially and if you've got someone close to you , like a neighbor it could very well pick up the transmissions from a two way radio for example.

What kind of computer is it may I ask ?

Wow. All very interesting. Thanks for the info.
The computer is a Dell. Pretty standard model.
About 2 years old. Speakers are LabTec I think.
Very old.

Any Idea what "VRC, VRC, Silence Alert" means?!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

I've had this happen too, about 4 or 5 years ago, but it lasted only a week or so, then stopped

And my buddy just recently picked up a virus, and he said his laptop (gateway) was playing a guy talking over his speakers, i think its the same thing that your hearing, where do you live? could be the same interference

we're both in michigan

[edit on 7-12-2008 by iwishicould]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
What you are getting is either VLF or LF RFI, which a majority of consumer electronic devices are not very well shielded from.

Sources can come from an enthusiastic ham radio operator working in the 160 meter band, or if you live near a fairly high powered AM station and even FM and low band VHF tv stations (2-6).

In fact, ALL consumer electronics, including comptuers, must not cause harmful interference, but if you read the FCC/UL labes correctly you will also see that Class A computing devices not only cant cause interference, but they must be able to accept interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

So please dont fool us with "I build this and know whats what" cuz after 35 years of working in the electronics/electrical industires which includes 5 years with the FCC field operations division, there isnt a single piece of consumer electronic device out there that is 100 percent isolated from RFI.

Look it up...www.fcc.gov/part15

Cheers!!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Cool. Thanks for the info.
I assumed it was picking up something local,
just never experienced it like this. I have had radio
signals come through my guitar amp all too many times.
I always thought it was weird that every time I played
St. Andrews Hall in Detroit, I get nothing but radio signals.
I usually need to borrow an amp there.

any ideas what this means:
"VRC, VRC, Silence Alert"

Just curious.

top topics

join