It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oprah Winfrey's Crusade To Reshape Religion In America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

but I don't understand why you seem to think she's some huge force of evil in the world

I never said that she is a huge force of evil in the world. Maybe she is a female-antichrist for America? Noo...not the world.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Layla
reply to post by mind is the universe

As far as celebrity goes, of course she is a celebrity, there is nothing wrong with being a celebrity or famous. Fame has been distorted because of the likes of Paris Hilton and other (non) Celebrities that have done nothing but show their T&A on camera, while the people who deserve celebrity status like Oprah get shamed for it. Sad state of affairs.

That was my point also, you explained this better to the ignorant begrudgers.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

From what I heard, Oprah's version of her bible is ALL PATHS LEAD TO GOD. It doesn't matter how you get there.........everyone will get there. She doesn't see that Jesus is the Son of God and that he alone is the way to the Father. She doesn't believe in the atonement of the blood of Christ.

Now, that is some pretty dangerous ground there. She must have a different bible then I do. Mine doesn't say what here does.

Peace,
Grandma

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gordonwest

but I don't understand why you seem to think she's some huge force of evil in the world

I never said that she is a huge force of evil in the world. Maybe she is a female-antichrist for America? Noo...not the world.

And I never said you did ("seem to think" being the key words here)

But you obviously dislike her enough to try to turn people's opinions against her.

Why?

Why do you think she is so bad?

(I'm assuming the "female-antichrist for america" was a joke.
It was a joke right?)

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mind is the universe
reply to post by tigermoff

She didn't just wake up one day at 12 year's of age and said BAM

I'm gonna be on T.V and I'm going to be a rock chick spirtual leader on my show. It's gonna rock out etc (punk style langauge added to lighten this bitching on this thread
)

Give the woman a break ffs. Seriously it's mostly men here bitching about her just because she is successful. I was going to say something else about those people who are "bitching". But I won't

[edit on 4-12-2008 by mind is the universe]

I dont remember saying anything about my not liking successful women being spiritual leaders. But I did say Opra or more to the point TV personalities in general.

Leave the spiritual stuff to the experts who have devoted their whole lives to enlightenment.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
For the people knocking Oprah, have any of you actually ever read Eckhart Tolle?
If you had, you would realize that there is nothing in there but pure unconditional love.
It is not a religion nor does it require faith and it certainly is not a threat to anyone. Unless of course you're addicted to suffering.
yeah I read it and he reminds me of werner erhardt of the famed EST seminars of the 80's. Most of that stuff Toll talks about is seen in many other books I've read but it was when Oprah actually thought God was jealous of her that I thought she may be getting into a situation where we will have to expand her skull to host that vast growing ego of her's.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tigermoff
Leave the spiritual stuff to the experts who have devoted their whole lives to enlightenment.

Congratulations, you just made the least spiritual statement ever!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProFiler.DSS
Most of that stuff Toll talks about is seen in many other books I've read ...

Eckhart wholeheartedly admits that he is bringing no new information.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

Which is why she doesn't call herself a Christian. She doesn't claim that she bases her beliefs off of the Bible. What she is saying is that Allah and God and other dieties are one in the same and that the end result is the same. What she is saying is that organized religion is bunk, basically, and that we can all find out way to the next level, via spirituality and the deeds we do. What she is saying is that "Christianity" "Judaism" "the Religion of Islam", none of them is the TRUE religion, because there isn't a "true" religion. Yeah, she says Jesus isn't the only way, and while you believe he is, you cannot prove she is wrong, all you can do is point to the book YOU believe in. The Mormon next to you will then point to the book HE believes in and it will say something different, and you're both just pointing to books, written by men. Who are you to say which will get you to "heaven" and which won't? All you have, all the Mormons have, all the Jews have, all the Muslims have, is the faith system they've chosen. Her's is no different.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tigermoff

So your saying you can't tab with spiritual stuff if your on T.V

Seriously that is none other described as "retarded"
I will again make my point. She didn't know she was going to be a T.V star. She became a T.V star after her own successul jornalism career. The opportunity came her way. She was given the postition to futher her beliefs and dreams onto a T.V platform to inform the country. If people didn't like her they would have turned her off. She was always a spiritual person. In fact she was meant to retire years ago. It was her decision to do so. But whatever media giant she's working with, begged her to stay on for a new contract.

It's not her fault million's tune into her everyday. It's not her fault that she talks about spiritual matters on her show. Is'nt it refreshing that someone can talk about this on T.V. When T.V is majorly toxins to the brain. She has all the money in the world. She doesn't need to make money from this, nor does she need to work another day in her life. In fact she doesn't have to go on T.V ever again. But the fact is she will be asked to appear. She is a very respected and well regarded person. It's people like her that makes the world go around.

They are true souls. Ones who take a stand to better the world for the rest of us. The ones. to rise to the challenge and change themselves. The onee to speak out on what they believed, where the rest of you sit back in your courner afraid to express your belief's onto the world. This is one of the most admirable traits one can have. It's take's one to change. Shes one of them.

I can say this from what it is. I don't have to like her, hate her or even watch her shows. to states these facts.

She want's to delve into Spiritual matter's, this is her thing whether she does T.V or not. If she want's to be a spiritual person then she can, just cus she's on T.V doesn't mean she can't. This exactly what you just said. It's actually a really stupid comment you made to be blunt about it. I'm amazed some human beings say such inane language. Oh god.

Seriously what the hell is your problem with it.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Layla

I believe that Oprah has multiple dimensions to her persona. You have bubbly TV Oprah and you have bitter business shark Oprah. I think she sways which ever way will benefit her the most. Just like she turned her back on Billary when it was evident that Obama was the man to beat.

She places heavy value on acquiring "things" and homes (that's her prerogative). She also expects her fans to climb on board and buy her favorite s*** . She has evolved into a business machine over the years and has lost her humble appeal in my opinion. Oprah overload when Oprah preaches.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mind is the universe

Dude are you serious??
She doesn't have enough discipline to keep a diet,yet she is gonna be the voice of Americas religious??
It seems to me like you have an issue with me hating the crap out of oprah.
You should maybe calm the hell down and go try an oprah diet...apparently it works for self loathing people who have no discipline and can't deal with reality.
So she didn't want to be a celebrity...then why is she there?
MONEY!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
That sounded nasty...sorry man no disrespect.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Where on earth did you get the idea that Oprah was setting herself up to be the spokesperson for all religious people in America?

That's utter nonsense! What she is doing is talking openly about her spirituality and what has worked for her.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

In fact, Oprah has become such a spiritual icon in America that USAToday has called her "a spiritual leader for the new millennium, a moral voice of authority for the nation."

In an unscientific poll conducted on Beliefnet.com, 33% of the 6,600 respondents said that Oprah has had "a more profound impact" on their spiritual lives than their pastors or priests.

This is from the OP

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

THAT IS REALLY, REALLY SAD..........can't people think for themselves anymore? We better learn to real fast.

Peace,
Grandma

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

You are the one following oprah...not me.I do think for myself and can stick to a diet!!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
33% of the 6,600 respondents said that Oprah has had "a more profound impact" on their spiritual lives than their pastors or priests.

67% get spiritually impacted by their pastors and priests.

This is indeed an alarming statistic.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thank you for a sober response...I appreciate it!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

In fact, Oprah has become such a spiritual icon in America that USAToday has called her "a spiritual leader for the new millennium, a moral voice of authority for the nation."

In an unscientific poll conducted on Beliefnet.com, 33% of the 6,600 respondents said that Oprah has had "a more profound impact" on their spiritual lives than their pastors or priests.

This is from the OP

A spiritual leader, not THE spiritual leader. I don't argue that you could describe her as a spiritually influential figure, but why the fuss?
There are tons of those around the world and what she is into seems a hell of a lot more peaceful & tolerant than most of what's out there.

Oh and I'll assume that the unscientific poll from Beliefnet.com, is unscientific and from a biased, religious source and therefore useless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join