It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New data for the Santorini Explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Thera volcano in exploded 1613 BC +- 10 years new data shows.

The article

The researchers said both olive tree branches were found near a Bronze Age man-made wall, giving the impression that they were part of an olive grove situated near a settlement very close to the edge of Santorini's current world-famous Caldera. The two trees were found standing when unearthed, and apparently had been covered by the Theran pumice immediately after the volcano's eruption.

This will cause some avid discussion as the conventional dating of the event for Ancient Egypt. The Historical Dating of Ancient Egypt indicate that the Thera eruption must have occurred after the start of the New Kingdom in Egypt in 1530 BC.

The radiocarbon dating places the cataclysmic eruption, blamed for heralding the end to the Minoan civilisation, a century earlier than previous scientific finds.

If the dates stand the chronology of AE will have to be changed.

(quote tags to ex tags)

[edit on 4/12/08 by Jbird]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
so they're putting a lot of stock into carbon dating then. what's on the AE side that isn't as reliable? are we talking about manuscripts or is the chronology of AE pretty weak?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

The chronology is based on comparison of kings list plus I believe they have some anchoring documents with other empires (much later) and a astronomical event or two.

I've added some quotes to address the two main points

The most important of these is with the Assyrian and Babylonian chronologies, although synchronisms with the Hittites, ancient Palestine, and in the final period with ancient Greece are also used. The earliest such synchronisms appear in the 15th century BC, during the Amarna Period, when we have a considerable quantity of diplomatic correspondence between the Egyptian Kings Amenhotep III and Akhenaten, and various Near Eastern monarchs.

The best known of these is the Sothic cycle, and careful study of this led Richard A. Parker to argue that the dates of the Twelfth dynasty could be fixed with absolute precision.[1] More recent research has eroded this confidence, questioning many of the assumptions used with the Sothic Cycle, and as a result experts have moved away from relying on this Cycle.[2] For example, Donald B. Redford, in attempting to fix the date of the end of Eighteenth dynasty, almost completely ignores the Sothic evidence, relying on synchronicities between Egypt and Assyria (by way of the Hittites), and help from astronomical observations.[

Carbon dating has also allowed the chronologies to be placed in context. In general by the time you get back to the old kingdoms you're looking at a century or more of disagreement on dates.

The date above, if it stands, shows an error of around 80 years.

The quotes from the Wiki summary on the AE chronology

[edit on 4/12/08 by Jbird]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I beat you by almost two years on this one Hans.

One of only about two or three threads I ever started at this site.

Harte

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

So you did! Sorry about that I was seduced by the MSM then.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by Harte

So you did! Sorry about that I was seduced by the MSM then.

S'alright.

You got more responses than I did.

I'm not sure what that means, but I hope it means that we are attracting a somewhat more knowledgeable clientele here nowadays!

Harte

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Sadly I don't think so. We'd need to sex it up with aliens and Atlantis to get much notice......hey lets make stuff up!!!

We'd get a lot of attention if we claimed you were channeling a survivor of Santorini who says we should open our minds, lay atop ley lines, seek the light and stare into crystals.

A few references to Cayce, Sitchin, Velikovsky, Tsarian and Hancock would help too!.....well except they contradict one another.

hehe

top topics

join