It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth In Politics: Gun Sales Boom After Election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Truth In Politics: Gun Sales Boom After Election

cbs2chicago.com

CHICAGO (CBS) ― Gun sellers say the election of Barack Obama is helping them avoid the recession. Sales of new guns are booming - up an estimated 50 percent in the suburbs.

In Wednesday's Truth in Politics, CBS 2 Political Editor Mike Flannery reports the gun lobby spent big trying to defeat Obama this year, outraged by his promise to reinstate a ban on military-style assault weapons. On talk radio, he was denounced as a "gun grabber." Now, as Obama heads to the White House, millions are rushing to reload.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Still don't believe that gun sales are going through the roof because of Obama and the Democrats taking control?

The most powerful weapons are disappearing fastest from local gun shops. At Elmwood Park's Illinois Gun Works, sales started soaring as it became apparent Barack Obama would win the White House.

"Once people started to realize that the Democrats had a better chance, or seemed to have a better chance, they started getting nervous about certain gun regulations," said Illinois Gun Works' Owner Dan Mastrianni.

Recent gun sales are up nationally 42 percent. In Illinois, they are up 38 percent; and in Chicago's suburbs 50 percent.

This has less to do with Obama himself and more to do with the fear of the Democrats enforcing new, harsh gun regulations.

cbs2chicago.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
They will enact a weapons ban but won't try to take away our guns.

If they try, the Republicans will be back in charge of Congress in 2010.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Before Hillary was even knocked out of the race for the democrat nomination, I studied alot on Obama and her and Obama has a very powerful anti-gun record in the votes he did in the U.S. and State Senates. Great fear will arise in my family when guns are taken up.

Also one more thing. Why ban assault weapons? The majority of gun related deaths in the U.S. are with handguns.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Durkin
Why ban assault weapons? The majority of gun related deaths in the U.S. are with handguns.

Thats the problem with you gun-loving psychopaths. You're always using reason and logic. When will you just quit it?

Think of the children!

Regarding sales up 50% in Chicago suburbs, many of them have recently suspended or repealed their local gun bans. Some of which had been on the books for 20 years.

Maybe Obamas election struck some sanity into people.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

So, Obama is already helping people make money?
That's great!

I haven't see where people don't believe that gun sales are going through the roof because of Obama and the Democrats taking control... Was that discussed in a thread here? Because I definitely believe people are buying guns because they FEAR what he's going to do. Doesn't mean they're right.

jam has got it right. If the Democrats want to keep that control, they'll keep their hands off the people's Constitutional rights.

Another advantage... Lower crime!
Yay Obama!

[edit on 4-12-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

There are some who think gun sales are up not because Obama and the (D)'s will pass ridiculous bans but because Obama is black.

Gun are being bought in record numbers (by bigots)

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Gun sales are up because smart merchants know they can make lots of money by putting the scare into their customers, not because there's any actual movement towards gun control.

Yeah the AWB was in the Democrats' campaign platform - just like anti-abortion language has been in the Republican platform for decades.

They still don't have the votes to do anything about it

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
My take: People are buying guns because they are afraid of an economic collapse in addition to everything else. People remember watching the LA riots on TV and want to be armed like the Korean storeowners rather than that unfortunate truckdriver, Reginald Denny. Many of us on the left agree on maintaining our gun rights.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
Many of us on the left agree on maintaining our gun rights.

As I've discussed with some of NH's country Dems who also like their guns and have arsenals that put mine to shame Washington doesnt care. You think the Dems in charge like Pelosi, Schumer, Byrd, Kerry, Cliton, etc... care what country Dems or Dems like Zell Miller or Dems who still know what the Constitution is care?

They care about the armed Dem as much as the rest of them care that we all so oppose the bailouts.

Many of the armed Dems will fall in line. They'll start to have stars in their eyes for the nostalgia of Clintons pointless AWB and make little concessions with themselves and rationalize "yeah, I dont need these things so it's good they're getting banned" kind of crap.

You're the minority and the hyper-left coastal Dems will trample all over youre guns just like they did in 1994. No politician cares about you, me or anyone else unless we can be useful to their election. When MA and CT and CA are all any Dem needs to win an election (and MA, CT and CA are all rabidly anti-anything gun) they can piss on us all they want.

top topics

join