It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Few Are Prepared

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I had some freinds over last weekend and did a small experiment.

I had just purchased water purification tablets and was interested if anyone would try them. I drained some water off my pool cover and added some tablets.

Only 2 out of 8 people would dare to drink it. I was told that i was going to get sick. Someone said that they would rather die that drink pool water.

I drank a full pint glass with dinner. It was fine.

My point is that everyone is used to being spoon fead.
People just don't get it. The pool water was most likely cleaner than tap water. But no one wanted to here it.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
An accurate depiction of 'survival of the fittest' in it's original meaning...those who are best able to fit into and adapt to a shifting environment

The fewer of those who are prepared, whether materially in terms of caches and supplies or psychologically in the example you illustrate, gives those of us who are equipped an added advantage in that there is less competition for bug-out areas, and less competition for food/water/resource sources that aren't immediately obvious

[edit on 4-12-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

True....

I just find myself being very scared for people. Friends, family memebers. I try to bring up survival and know one wants to here it. I get brushed off like some wako......

It's very hard for people to except change........

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Another example is of a couple of neighbours who were round to see my flatmate. I was busy carving blades for my windatron and they were curious to what I was up to.

When I told them that I was building a wind generator to act as an off-the-grid power system one of them laughed and mocked me, calling me a nutter, and the other made the remark of "..but, isn't that illegal?"

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Those tablets used in water will hydrate you but they are not safe for daily use. If you use a distiller you can get water out of a septic tank.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Any time I bring up a logical argument with my friends and relatives they don't want to hear it.
I always tell them to be the guy who had a smoke detector instead of the guy who took 20 sleeping pills and didn't have a smoke detector.
Its amazing really.Complete ignorance.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by VixWix

It's those everyday things like eating and drinking that people get hung up on. How far can a person go to prepare shelter or start a fire with nothing or stitch up their own gash if they cant get themselves to drink rain water off of a pool cover? I know so many people who wont eat rabbit or squirrel and are absolutely repulsed by the idea of snapping a chickens neck or gutting a deer.

At the same time I find myself hesitating when taking a drink from moving river water that I passed through a filter. I know it's fine but I've been so conditioned my whole life to believe if it isnt from a bottle or a tap it's full of evil that will destroy me from the inside.

So many of us are so far removed from reality it's frightening.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by VixWix

It depends on what people are trying to survive. People who want to survive genocide usually leave genocidal countries. I don't think natural disasters are the only problem facing Americans. Extra beans ,rice and water will not save people in countries run by homocidal maniacs.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by eradown]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I'm not surprised. Peoples mind sets are so wacky.
To think it's illegal to make your own energy.......

anyway that's great good luck with it.

I just put in a wood burning stove. I have heard things like....it's bad for the environment and your house is going to be so dusty.
My sister said to me "why don't you just use your heat, prices have come down?"

I said to her "what happens if the power goes out?"
She said "they get it back up in like an hour"

We take so many things for granted.........

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Why do you think Katrina was such a big deal, people do not know how to survive on their own anymore. Some look at survival as a silly notion, like how to make a fire without a lighter and a gallon of lighter fluid.

Can you make a fire with a piece of ice? Most would say no right off the bat without understanding how to do it.

What is the most flamable material you carry around with you everyday? Your own hair! Want to light a fire quickly, cut some of your hair off and use it as kindling.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
as per the title

it's actually a very good thing because there will be less food and those left will be in need of it. So if a large chunk dies off, it will help the survivors greatly.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by stinkhorn
Can you make a fire with a piece of ice? Most would say no right off the bat without understanding how to do it.

At a guess I'd think you'd carve the ice into a lens?

D'you have any links or images on that method being used? would be interesting to see how it's done

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
as per the title

it's actually a very good thing because there will be less food and those left will be in need of it. So if a large chunk dies off, it will help the survivors greatly.

Actually, you are right. It is the way that I see it. As long as my family/friends are okay, the rest of the world can go and die for all I care. If they are not prepared or not even able to consider it, then why the hell should I care if they live or die ..... they have had a choice, just like I have - They would have just made the bad choice.

Less survivors in my opinion means that as long as I and my family have survived, we will have far more resources available to us. You cannot help people if they cannot at least try to help themselves.

To borrow a phrase from a fellow 'prepper':-

''Some people may think that our preparation is a waste and that we are being alarmist. I can only say that these people are right ..... until they're wrong. The consequences of them being wrong are far greater than the consequences of us being wrong''.

[edit on 4/12/08 by Wotan]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by stinkhorn

What is the most flamable material you carry around with you everyday? Your own hair! Want to light a fire quickly, cut some of your hair off and use it as kindling.

I must have done that too many times!........

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

www.primitiveways.com...

Fire from ice

I've never tried it personally since I always carry a f/steel or a lighter but it would definetly be a good skill to learn.

VixWix...its shocking how many people take everyday things like heat, clean water and food for granted, if TSH'sTF these same people are gonna be screaming at the government to do something. Let them is what I say, those who dont prepare shouldn't complain when it comes back round to bite them.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
as per the title

It depends on what is the cause of death. If people are not being killed by an act of nature ,but by an enemy which regards humans as not having the right to exist. Then the survival odds of would be survivalists decrease with the body count. The only hope of survival in the case of mass murder is for a team to take out the killer or killers. Unfortunately ,the team must be composed of people who do not care if they survive.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by eradown]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I agree few are prepared. Every once in a while, we have a little "drill" if the electricity goes out or something, by saying, "Ok, this is IT. What is the first thing we do?" We have spent hours just talking about different scenarios and options and lengths we'd be willing to go to and so on.

Our family would think we're nuts, too.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Anyone else in the UK amazed at how people are yet again caught out by the cold snap?

Looking outside in the NE right now.It's fantastic,like a different world.

Layers of loverly jubberley thinsulate,fleece and goretex and you're ready to go make snow angels and yellow snow pictures.

Gotta change back to chunky wheels on the MTB i think.

Slicks and ice make for bruises galore.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Our family would think we're nuts, too.

Crazy like a fox methinks.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by fred3110
I've never tried it personally since I always carry a f/steel or a lighter but it would definetly be a good skill to learn.

As we're on the subject of alternative ways of burning things, I wonder if you've thought of using your firesteel kit to start a thermite fire?

A few 35mm film canisters containing pre-mixed aluminim/iron oxide powder added to the BoB would mean that you can burn anything...just shave a long ribbon off the magnesium block that comes with the firesteel kit, poke a hole in the lid of the canister and insert 'wick'...light, and yer off!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Another example is of a couple of neighbours who were round to see my flatmate. I was busy carving blades for my windatron and they were curious to what I was up to.

When I told them that I was building a wind generator to act as an off-the-grid power system one of them laughed and mocked me, calling me a nutter, and the other made the remark of "..but, isn't that illegal?"

Just leave the trusting , unquestioning sheep to their merriment, Its tragic that so many people now put their blind faith in the govt, supermarkets and utilities to provide for them that they are almost incapable of providing for themselves. I believe the current trendy term to discribe the sheeple of today is " Darwinism at work" .
I dont believe you can train sheep to do anything cept use the panic driven herd mentality, thats why I restrict my efforts to the curious and questioning people I come across.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join