It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Worship: Perry County, AL passed "Barack Obama Holiday"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Who said anything about having 'a problem with it?'

Have you read the posts?!?!?!?

"adoration and worship"
"It's beyond stupid"
"incredibly random and bizarre"
and my favorite:
"It's RACIST!!!"

But you seem to have a real tender spot whenever anyone wants to opine on anything having to do with our President-elect.

Is there a problem with that? Is there a problem that I jump in and defend the man when people start their attacks? You'd probably like to shut me up and make me go away and stop raining on this Obama hate thread, but it's not going to happen unless I decide I'm tired of it. The same people always jump on the "let's rag on Obama" bandwagon and you don't seem to have a problem with them... Is it because you want to jump on the bandwagon, too?

But will there be a Hispanic president someday? An Asian-American? Will we have days for that too?

I hope so! Celebrating diversity is one of the great things about our country!

I hope President Obama leads us into utopia, and I think he would deserve recognition for doing so.

And this proves my point. Many people have holidays for them. Some who didn't do a whole lot. Some who did nothing. And nobody complains! But Obama would have to "lead us into Utopia" to deserve one of his own according to your standards. And perhaps YOU have hopes of that, but I do not. No one person can do that.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
You're right BH. It's all just sour grapes from all of us hateful, racists, who don't support Obama.

The fact that we are probably going to be declaring a national holiday for a man who has done nothing to help this country yet other than be black has nothing to do with it. The fact that we continue to have to separate and differentiate between skin color as a basis for achievement has nothing to do with it.

It's just sour grapes.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
They can do what they want but it's beyond stupid IMHO.

The guy hasn't done anything except run for office and sit in a racist anti-white/anti-jew church for 20 years.

So if I go out and get a law degree ... sue a few banks to push for affirmative action style morgage lending which contributes to the downfall of the American economy .... sit in a racist church for 20 years .... spew rhetoric and tell lies to get elected to office .... can I get a holiday for myself too?

I wonder if they'll cancel the holiday once they realize he's just Jimmy Carter II.
Your post just made my day!! Thank you!

I have an idea; any county or state that wants to declare an "Obama" holiday must require all registered voters to pass a collegiate level U.S. Civics course with an A, an have an IQ of at least 100.

Then we would separate the "chafe from the wheat."

[edit on 4-12-2008 by paxnatus]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
You didn't even read the information, did you?

Yes I did. And I know there are differences between the days named for various presidents, but they do exist. I bet you could find counties across this country that have a "Clay Aiken Day" and a "NASCAR Day" and a "Second Amendment Day" but nobody whines and complains about them.

Yes. Sour Grapes.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
The fact that we continue to have to separate and differentiate between skin color as a basis for achievement has nothing to do with it.

Where in the article does it say that the new holiday was because he's black?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm sorry, but what else is there to give him a holiday for?

He's not the first President ever, he's the first black President. What else has he done that signifies to a mostly black community that "any goal is achievable"?

I also found this bit of the article amusing....

Commissioner Brett Harrison said Wednesday he voted against the resolution because of the costs to the county, which has a $2.2 million annual payroll and is one of the poorest in the state. He said closing the courthouse would also idle some state employees.

"I'm a Democrat, but just in these financial times, it's not using the county's money wisely," Harrison told The Associated Press by phone Wednesday.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

The fact that we continue to have to separate and differentiate between skin color as a basis for achievement has nothing to do with it.

I hate to say this, but is there any other reason why this historic Alabama county would create this holiday named after Obama. Now, if Obama's constituents in Illinois named a holiday after him you might just have a point.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Is there a problem with that? Is there a problem that I jump in and defend the man when people start their attacks?

I wasn't attacking him. I suppose people's opinions can be construed as an attack, but I thought we were beyond that kind of generalization.

You'd probably like to shut me up and make me go away and stop raining on this Obama hate thread...

On the contrary, I think your input is a valuable perspective that reminds us all when we are getting carried away, or going overboard.

Is this really an Obama HATE thread?

The same people always jump on the "let's rag on Obama" bandwagon and you don't seem to have a problem with them... Is it because you want to jump on the bandwagon, too?

Wow, you remind of those who would trash me for banging on the Bush administration, questioning my patriotism and such. I'm sorry that we seem to encounter each other only on these kinds of threads. I comment in many threads, but only in these Obama-related themes does it seem to cause so much angst. Perhaps I should not participate. I am not in this forum to offend or inflame.

I am not a 'bandwagon' sort of guy. I am sorry I cannot persuade you otherwise.

I hope so! Celebrating diversity is one of the great things about our country!

I concede that celebrating an Obama day might fall under the category of celebrating diversity. I suspect I would be more comfortable with the idea if were called 'Diversity Day' but beggars can't be choosers. What communities choose to celebrate is entirely up to them.

Many people have holidays for them. Some who didn't do a whole lot. Some who did nothing. And nobody complains!

Actually I have seen many complaints to that effect. And I too have participated in them. But I don't expect that you would know that since I haven't seen your participation in those threads.

But Obama would have to "lead us into Utopia" to deserve one of his own according to your standards. And perhaps YOU have hopes of that, but I do not. No one person can do that.

It wasn't a 'standard' it was an expression of hope. And yes, no one person can do that, but everyone, especially our leaders are supposed to be driving us in that direction. Otherwise, why are they called leaders?

Finally, I am sorry to have offended you. I am sincere in my admiration for the quality of your submissions and thoughts. I will adjourn from this thread as I appear to be an irritant to you. I was simply trying to expand the conversation and provide my two cents. Evidently, you cannot accept it without seeing it as aggressive offense. In know that a racist and a non-racist can find a problem with the same issue. Being that the reason for the objection is different from those proposed by racists, I am confident that my position is not rooted in racism or partisanship, or anything else like it. But part of your strategy to counter this objection to the OP has been, and seems universally employed by like-minded folks, to lump everyone together into one group "Haters of Obama." I do not consent to be included in such a group, whether you hold me in that light or not.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I wasn't attacking him.

I know. I didn't say you were and I didn't see an attack from you. I was explaining why you might have the impression that I have a "tender spot" about Obama. Some of these posts are VERY attacking.

Is this really an Obama HATE thread?

As I said, some posters clearly love to climb on the Obama hate bandwagon. Whether this is a hate thread or not is a matter of opinion. I try not to judge the whole thread, rather the individual posts. I'm not calling anyone a racist.

By the way, I'm not meaning to imply anything about you personally. I try to say what I mean without implication, but sometimes I fail. And to be completely honest with you, until yesterday, I didn't know who you were. Someone else said something personal about you and it made me take a second look, but before that, I couldn't have said where you stand on any issue. So, it's not like I have a firm opinion of you. Some of the others in this thread, I know quite well and we have clashed before.
Simply, my first post here was not at all directed at you.

I concede that celebrating an Obama day might fall under the category of celebrating diversity. I suspect I would be more comfortable with the idea if were called 'Diversity Day'

I would be OK with that, but it doesn't honor the first non-white man to accomplish the presidency. The man himself. It would just honor the fact that he's non-white. And as you all have said, that's not a big deal. If they called it "diversity day", the the first woman president would be honored with "Gender Day"!

I don't expect others to understand this accomplishment if they don't already understand the historic import. And since you're fairly new to the board, you should know that FlyersFan and I used to be on the "same side" of this issue. We debated side by side. But I was gone for about a year and in that time, I learned a great deal about being black in the US and have changed my perspective on a lot of issues. Just FYI.

But I don't expect that you would know that since I haven't seen your participation in those threads.

I don't see it as my place these days. People get joy from different things. Who am I to tell them what should be important to them? I used to complain all day and night about February as being Black History Month, though.
You should do a search on some of the old racial threads. Some are still available.

Otherwise, why are they called leaders?

Obama was the first black president of the Harvard Law Review. He was a State Senator for 8 years and a US Senator for 4. He is well-respected by nearly ALL of Congress, regardless of his politics. He was elected the President of the US. I think it's safe to say he's a leader.

Finally, I am sorry to have offended you.

You have not offended me. It's VERY difficult to offend me.
I may argue like a crazy woman, but I rarely get offended. I enjoy debate, even when it gets a bit "dirty".

Neither am I upset. I enjoy heated discussion. I don't take it personally. And I hope we talk more in the future.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

This may not seem like a big deal to you guys, but to a predominantly black county in Alabama, it's HUGE! History has been made! The election of a black man to the highest office is the country is a HUGE step in race relations in this country! It's something to celebrate! Not just for Alabama, but for us all!

No, its not something for us all to celebrate. If you want to be a racist, that is your preference, but I will not. I prefer to view people based on what they have to offer, and do not assume someone to be incapable based on the color of their skin. Racism has no place in my politics, but I'm sure the KKK and Black Panthers are happy that it has such a prominent place in yours. Hey - its America - even racist bigots have a right to voice their opinion. But the majority of Americans are far more intelligent than that, which is why people are against proclaiming holidays for a man who has yet to do anything but win a election.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

... the the first woman president would be honored with "Gender Day"!

I wonder if anyone has ever proposed such a thing!

I'll have to research that, it seems likely that someone must have suggested something along these lines at some point in the past... but I'm off-topic...

Be well.

MM

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is Americia! We do enjoy our freedoms. If that county wants to have an Obama Day, well, they can. I don't agree with it either and I support Obama, but, that is why here in the US we can agree to disagree. To each his own! I wonder if everybody in that county agrees with the holiday, I bet not. We have enough to worry about in this country, this is quite trivial to me.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I see why they'd do that, but this seems a little premature....I mean at least give the guy a year in office.

There's something about Obama's hardcore fans that is just as scary as GWB's hardcore fans....

You know Obama should still be scrutinized, he should still have checks and balances in place. We should be paying attention to who he shakes hands with and pals around with. We should have him under a microscope....

I don't want anyone to go lettin' him off the hook just because he's Obama, and when I see people making holidays, or goin' on and on about how much they love Obama it seems like they are doing just that.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   

It's cuz' he's black.

story here

"In America, we celebrate historic events with holidays," said Commissioner Albert Turner Jr., who was the sponsor of the resolution passed in a 4-1 vote by the Perry County Commission.

"Never again will this event occur in which a person of African-American descent will be the first African-American to assume the office," Turner told FOXNews.com.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
WHITE WOMEN ought to love it

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

reply to post by FlyersFan

I wonder if they would ever even admit it.

These people strike me as the type who would still sing his praises as the country was literally burning down around them. Like the orchestra on the titanic, playing as the ship goes down, so are the crazy Obama supporters.

I am sure there are some that would never see fault in Obama. Which isn't all that surprising if you consider the fact that there are still people that believe G.W. Bush is one of the greatest presidents. There are always diehard fans that refuse to except any faults of their favorite.

Of course, there is always a chance that Obama may turn out to be the greatest progressive president since Teddy Roosevelt and be worthy of a holiday.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
there is always a chance that Obama may turn out to be the greatest progressive president since Teddy Roosevelt and be worthy of a holiday.

There is that CHANCE ... but he hasn't even gotten into office yet let alone done anything worthy of a holiday. As the person said who instigated the holiday - it's because he's black. THAT is exactly what he said and that is the only reason they gave him a holiday.

Side note - not that anyone cares - I am against holidays for politicians and that includes presidents day.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Inside Charm City

Movement in Baltimore for an 'Obama day'. They say it's to honor a movement - but they still put Obama's face and name on the day.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join