It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is UFO hunters a joke?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I saw a episode of UFO Hunters and I was shocked by what I saw.
Is this really what the UFO field considers research?

Roswell incident.

THe show attempts to discredit the mogul balloon theory by establishing tht the roswell material was made of acetite and not mylar.

They do this, by taking 2 roswell witnesses, one of them Major marcells son, and having them lift and feel and interact with metals in their hand and saying which one was most like the debris at Roswell.

A event, that allegedly took place 61 years ago, and you want to base your conclusion on 2 men "feeling" a piece of metal???

Well they come down to the last 2, acetite and mylar, and they both pick acetite, and the UFO magazine publisher says "This disproves the Mogul balloon!"

What? your joking, right? The mylar they had their was of only one type, that is one composition. Materials have various degrees of ways its made, for example steel, stainless steel, carbon steel,etc.
They only had one type of Mylar!
Read this:
www.grafixplastics.com...

and you mean to tell me your going to disprove mogul by having someone , who last allegedly felt this material 61 years ago, by having them "feel" the metal and include only one type of mylar?
GET REAL!

The mogul balloon was made of a very special polyethelyne polymer blend plastic. and coindentally one man comes forward with a chunk of something that looks weird, which turns out to be..guess what, High Density Polyethelyne, but nono, they try to explain this away saying HDPE wasnt used in mogul (really? wheres your mogul sample)

all about polyethelyne:
en.wikipedia.org...

Maury island UFO case

They investigate this case looking for "lava-like" rocks to substantiate a UFO report of UFO allegedly dumping said rock. Howeve what they dont tell you is this case as already been debunked.

2 of the cases main originators, Harold Dahl and Fred Crisman have both admitted the hoax, Crisman even admitting tht the slag they found was from a local smelter.
What they als dont tell you, is that this case originated from a letter sent to Kenneth Arnold from Ray palmer about a letter from Fred Crisman claiming the UFO incident. Suffice to say by the ene dof this whole thing Kenneth Arnold was very angry.
Even both of them admitting it was a hoax, one of them later, Fred Dahl, would attempt to recant his admission.

This case was full of holes that they just dont show you. UFO Hunters..what a joke.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
yes i saw that program last night, was a joke wasn't it? but to be fair, didn't they say that HDPE wasn't even officially invented until 6 years after the crash? That WOULD make it unlikely that it was used in Mogul, but then again, it wouldn't be impossible would it? Maybe HDPE was in use by the military but it just wasn't "officialy"invented yet. We all know they keep new things under wraps for years before it's released. But yes, the whole show was laughable, i was gonna post something very similar. I DO believe that UFOs exist, ETs, and even life on mars, so it is frusterating to me when shows that are so ridiculous like this are aired or given attention, it does nothing for my cause at all.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
As for the HDPE...yes but the question of whether it was used in Mogul or not is irrelevent. Anyone could have brought it to that area of desert and melted it right? Maybe from the 70s? They could have at least done some experiments or talkd to Tupperware people about what temp it would take to make it look like that. Then maybe there would be a question. It did not seem to show any charring though..

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
UFO Hunters is a cheap ripoff of the Ghost Hunters show.
Ghost Hunters is actually a good hit. So they are trying it
with UFOs. The show is lousy and an insult - IMHO.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
caught the show last night and turned the station when they were trying to find pieces of the roswell wreckage in an underground cave. why do these "investigators" think that anything would be left over from the incident?
the entire show has been annoying since its inception.
sigh, when will something interesting air?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
My opinion would be YES!
It's as fake and absurd as its sister show ghost hunters. I won't deny they take a look at real cases but they just lack a realistic approach. Don't get me started on the fake dialogue of ghost hunters. Sometimes I just have to wonder whether they are on the air for the sole purpose of damaging both fields as a whole with their presence.

Its very annoying and irritating.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
These are producers 'cashing in' on what they perceive to be a new 'target audience'. The facts are not relevant - it only has to be 'entertaining'.

Don't expect any of these 'reality' shows to be 'reality.'

It's all entertainment. The most IMPORTANT part of the show is the commercials. That is THE ONLY reason the show exists at all.

Remember that, and at least you won't end the show with heartburn and high blood-pressure.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I'd never watched the show before, saw some of it last night while channel surfing. Based on the 20 mins or so I watched, it won't be on my list again...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Seriously one of the dumbest, most unscientific alien shows I have ever seen. They never prove anything and everything is always so vague.

Ghost hunters might have some pre done dialogue but I am sure that that is something that the producers of the show make them do. You know they are more legit than most other programs of the nature because they are not afraid to tell someone that their place is not haunted. Plus on top of that I don't think they take themselves too seriously since they are always joking around and stuff.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Some of the worst television I've seen in quite a while, but then I don't watch TV much. Probably because of the preponderance of junk like this. My wife's been laughing at me lately because of my interest in UFOs, but she was laughing even harder at my rants directed at that program's heavy-handed sensationalism, completely bogus logic, and worst of all, coverage of one of those most thoroughly debunked incidents that I know of. Totally pathetic and a real waste of potential.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari
My opinion would be YES!
It's as fake and absurd as its sister show ghost hunters. I won't deny they take a look at real cases but they just lack a realistic approach. Don't get me started on the fake dialogue of ghost hunters. Sometimes I just have to wonder whether they are on the air for the sole purpose of damaging both fields as a whole with their presence.

Its very annoying and irritating.

I am with NephraTari on this one. Television, MSM, marketing, etc. are all reaching for ways to grab an audience - without regard to subject, content, or whether or not it may or may not be an accurate portrayal of the subject at hand. Writers are now borrowing rather than coming up with new ideas for shows, scripts, etc. And whatever the hot topic of the moment is - you can be sure that there will be a 'reality' show based on it - or some rip off of one that has already done well before.

The UFO/Paranormal/'Ghost' subject has been so badly beaten and dis informed that people may never know what is supposed to be taken seriously and what is some production company's idea of a good program.

Some think that by these types of programs (the Hunters of UFOs, Paranormal, Conspiracy...etc.) being allowed to be viewed by the public it will bring us closer to 'disclosure' - but unless the content is taken seriously and is presented to inform and not to entertain - it only propels the subject backward.

An example: Like believing the (very funny) show '3rd Rock from the Sun' could bring us closer to disclosure...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It's not a joke, but it is produced with idiots in mind. It's so the average person who know little or nothing about UFOs will be interested. To people like us on ATS, the show is boring and of little use.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
heh dont even get me started on ghost hunters. After reading this post you will never ever need to watch an episode of ghost hunters again

your typical ghost hunters episode

Chick: Hey we got a case in X location!

Jason and grant: ok were on it!

Start walking around..

WHOA! I saw a shadow! though conveniently the tv camera never picks it up!

My meter just went up by .5! I think we got something

lets try provoking!

Hey is there anyone here? Hey/.. hey come out and show us, what do you have eh? Showus whatcya got!

Well time to wrap it up

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NavalFC

Of course it's a joke, it's UFO Hunters. That's what makes it fun.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Yes it is a joke. If anyone finds it entertaining or informative that says something about their judgement.

All that camera special effects only make it harder to know what is going on and it doesn't even entertain. If their objective is to confuse the issue or bring ridicule to it they should suceed to a point.

They do more to debunk UFO's than Shermer ever could.

However rational people will ignore it and look at the most credible cases. that doesn't mean they should be accepted without scrutiny but even after scrutinizing them there appears to be a ligitimate mystery.

Discovery UFO's over earth seems more reational so far.

Just about all the high profile coverage of UFO's has always been flawed. So discretion is always advised figure it out for yourself because the "experts" are not trustworthy.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Legitimate UFO investigative shows, even legit investigative GHOST shows wont have tons of special effects, CGI generated beings, and there would not be mystical sound effects either.

Legit shows about these subjects would be 99 percent filled with interviews of researchers, their documentation, references, evidence and cross examination of evidence.

One poster got it right on the money. This particular program is designed for those who have no clue what a UFO is, or very little knowledge about UFO's, just as the show Ghost Hunters is, for the "newbies".

And of course, the program is meant to be an audience grabber, ratings catcher, prime time programing intended to make money.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I think you'll find that ALL TV is just entertainment and the
folk involved in such stuff are trawling the bottom of the
barrel for stuff that'll interest it's viewers (ergo, they'll
continue to be paid).

It's the reason I don't watch TV... get the TV guide, yer'
don't need a TV.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
At least they are TRYING with VERY little to work with. Try ressurrecting a 60 year old police case where most of the witness's are dead and there is virtually no evidence from the scene. Gimme a break. No one else is even trying...

Originally posted by NavalFC
I saw a episode of UFO Hunters and I was shocked by what I saw.
Is this really what the UFO field considers research?

Roswell incident.

THe show attempts to discredit the mogul balloon theory by establishing tht the roswell material was made of acetite and not mylar.

They do this, by taking 2 roswell witnesses, one of them Major marcells son, and having them lift and feel and interact with metals in their hand and saying which one was most like the debris at Roswell.

A event, that allegedly took place 61 years ago, and you want to base your conclusion on 2 men "feeling" a piece of metal???

Well they come down to the last 2, acetite and mylar, and they both pick acetite, and the UFO magazine publisher says "This disproves the Mogul balloon!"

What? your joking, right? The mylar they had their was of only one type, that is one composition. Materials have various degrees of ways its made, for example steel, stainless steel, carbon steel,etc.
They only had one type of Mylar!
Read this:
www.grafixplastics.com...

and you mean to tell me your going to disprove mogul by having someone , who last allegedly felt this material 61 years ago, by having them "feel" the metal and include only one type of mylar?
GET REAL!

The mogul balloon was made of a very special polyethelyne polymer blend plastic. and coindentally one man comes forward with a chunk of something that looks weird, which turns out to be..guess what, High Density Polyethelyne, but nono, they try to explain this away saying HDPE wasnt used in mogul (really? wheres your mogul sample)

all about polyethelyne:
en.wikipedia.org...

Maury island UFO case

They investigate this case looking for "lava-like" rocks to substantiate a UFO report of UFO allegedly dumping said rock. Howeve what they dont tell you is this case as already been debunked.

2 of the cases main originators, Harold Dahl and Fred Crisman have both admitted the hoax, Crisman even admitting tht the slag they found was from a local smelter.
What they als dont tell you, is that this case originated from a letter sent to Kenneth Arnold from Ray palmer about a letter from Fred Crisman claiming the UFO incident. Suffice to say by the ene dof this whole thing Kenneth Arnold was very angry.
Even both of them admitting it was a hoax, one of them later, Fred Dahl, would attempt to recant his admission.

This case was full of holes that they just dont show you. UFO Hunters..what a joke.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
You should definitely check out there other shows..the Roswell case is probably the most difficult and sensational case in the world to crack and if you seriously expected them to find anything on it then your extremely naive.
HOWEVER..there are more recent cases where they at least made some good points for the case being something unknown or unlikely to be a balloon/lantern with some credible witness's.
Im assuming your here because you either have some interest in UFO's or a complete skeptic/debunker in which case you should probably never watch that show..but if you have a real interest watch their first season shows I haven't seen the new season, but found the old one to be interesting in places so check it out.

Originally posted by md11forever
I'd never watched the show before, saw some of it last night while channel surfing. Based on the 20 mins or so I watched, it won't be on my list again...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NavalFC

1. They did find and interview a witness who recently came forward (the majority have or will take it to the grave with them). There are too many witnesses who have been less than honest in the past, and the gentleman interviewed was in the Roswell Army Air Field yearbook during the time. He did not do this for any financial gain, just to tell what he saw and held.
2. The researcher looking in the cave was checking out rumors that some ranchers had hid evidence in a cave. He did show the area was full of caves that were big enough for a person to put debris.
3. The two witnesses who held the debris were asked if any of the materials on the table were close to what they had held. While this is not necessarily scientific, it does give them information on what they were looking for. The Mogul Balloon theory has been ripped apart by many other well respected researchers, including Major Kevin Randle, who is not afraid to tell it like it is.
4. There is evidence of a possible crash at San Augustin, and that is what the case needs is research.

Yes, there are aspects of this show that are for entertainment purposes, but it is interesting, and they actually test fragments and theories. Ghost Hunters and the same types of programs do the same thing. I think this second season of UFO Hunters has been very good so far, with more emphasis on evidence and research.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join