It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enter the damn ATS Historian Contest, people!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Anyone who wouldn't jump at the chance to get exclusive interviews with the administrators and moderators of this site, not to mention it's founder has got to be HIGH!

And to be the one unique member of this site I think would be worth it all by itself. I actually suggested that the winner have "ATS Historian" as their member status line. I haven't heard back from admin on this suggestion, but if it were one of the awards, would it be worth it then?

OK, so if you win, you have to do a lot of work, and maybe that's the problem. But I just think it's a unique opportunity too good to pass up. I don't think many realize that ATS is growing exponentially and has much more potential than just a web forum.

I'm probably shooting myself for saying this, but I only want you to enter so that I HAVE A CHANCE OF WINNING!!! (Hey, I like to win, OK?)

But seriously, don't you think that the history of ATS with interviews from those who actually know it's history would be a good read, and good for new members to see what kind of work actually has gone into this fine internet gem?

Last notice from SkepticOverlord was that this contest might be scrapped due to lack of interest, so JUST DO IT!!!

Thank you,
DeltaChaos

P.S. If you're one of my GOOD buddies, you know who you are, maybe you'd want to enter the contest just it 'cause you don't want ME to do it!

I am a pompous ass, aren't I? DEAL WITH IT!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think the problem with it is that it's a seriously vague idea.

History from who's point of view exactly? What's the point exactly? Alot of the juicy bits are bad things that have happened on this board, do people really want to go and drudge that up again? (I know I don't).

I'd do it myself but I personally see no point, but if people want the goodies you win from doing it then go right to it.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well, bad things can be a part of the history, but they can be kept in a context in keeping with the highlights of the site's history, which is what I would be going for. There may be some bad stuff, but I'm sure there's a lot more good stuff, and probably some harrowing, dramatic moments in history where the admin didn't know if it was going to last, or whatever. You know, juicy bits.

The bottom line is that this site is probably the best of it's genre, and to illustrate for others exactly what made it so would do it great credit.

DC

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I also think this site could use some more permanent content, which I think the call for entries contest was geared for, but the ATS history would just be a good feature for new members and old members alike. I think it would make people feel more 'a part of' the whole thing.

You know, I'm not this overzealous with most things, just writing. Since I can no longer be what I thought I was going to be for the rest of my life, writing seems to be the only thing left that I'm good at. (As I end a sentence with a preposition!:@@

Well, there are other things that I'm good at, but I can't make any money at them... that reminds me, where the hell did that penis pump go?

Sorry, haven't slept in a while. Little slap-happy!

DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well personally I think it's better that when new members join they hear these stories of the past, and they have to investigate and ask other members what happened.

Sometimes it takes them alot more time than others to get these answers, but that makes them stick around doesn't it?

It's part of the charm of ATS that there have been these incidents of the past that people hear about and investigate, it's part (to me anyway) of what ATS is. Some of it becomes ATS legend ("If you're going to print the truth or the legend, pick the legend").

If it was ALL there, printed in black and white for any new member to read it wouldn't make it nearly as interesting as it is without. That's just me though.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I see what you're saying there, and you're probably right, the element of mystery is probably appealing to some members. Actually, it's very appealing to me since over time I've learned of the Great Childish Exodus, which is legend that new members would be exited to learn on their own, as I was.

That would hardly be worth mentioning in the ATS history though, 'cause those asssclowns just produced a crapcake anyway.

My history would mainly focus on the success of the site and the motivations and intent of the founder and admin, as well as as much of their true personalities they would care to divulge. I'm really most interested in the real people behind the avatars.

Of course, I would have to include spots on some of the more prominent members, especially Intelgurl, 'cause I have a crush on her brain!

DC

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
DeltaChaos, I entered, and I'm sorry to say but as much as you like winning, you're going to have to lose this one.
But seriously, I saw this as an interesting little project about ATS, so even if I don't win, atleast I'll know the history of ATS in the long run.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm really more interested it the history, myself.

And I'm a good loser. I've put myself in the position to lose many times and have done so, so I'm used to it. Maybe it's not so much the winning as it is playing the game? I'm always much happier doing what it takes to win than after I've won and the game's over.

Send in the clowns...

DC

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Yeah same here. I wish there were some way, to were people could collaborate together to write a brilliant history of ATS rather than a mediocre one. But on a different note, you've got to check out this video, if that doesn't make you laugh, then you know the clowns are dead. www.nata2.info...

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I entered a long time ago. I guess there are only three entries then? Me, DeltaChaos, and IKnowNothing?

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
Yeah same here. I wish there were some way, to were people could collaborate together to write a brilliant history of ATS rather than a mediocre one. But on a different note, you've got to check out this video, if that doesn't make you laugh, then you know the clowns are dead. www.nata2.info...

Dude! That's not funny. That's DISTURBING!!! You can tell they'd done that before though. Unfortunately, as I watched, I found myself fantasizing about the 'loud' one. Whaddya think, 14, 15? I AM a dirty old man!

Originally posted by meddle
I entered a long time ago. I guess there are only three entries then? Me, DeltaChaos, and IKnowNothing?

Hell, that's plenty. Throw 'em up on the board and let the voting begin!

DC

[EDIT] Well, with such a low rating for this thread, I guess no one is interested. They got pissed I even mentioned it!

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I haven't entered and thats unusual, as i'm present at the opening of envelopes on the ats board.

I think its a lofty goal and a tad pretentious.

Still, if i get bored i might enter..i AM on holiday right now.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I never enter these kinds of contests because i dont believe in myself much like i dont give myself enought confidence so i never tend to enter these things also i dont believe i have luck of winning and i never would think as my self as someone special on here but i will enter one im interested in i guess and maybe something to do with ufo's/alien's cya around guys and good luck who ever is entering!!!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
I think its a lofty goal and a tad pretentious.

The ATS historian goal is pretentious, or my goal for it is pretentious?

Well, it has to be my goal for it then, doesn't it? Hey man, you know me...!

DC

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Maybe it's a lack of not knowing where the full stop button is ShadowMan.
j/k

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMan
I never enter these kinds of contests because i dont believe in myself much like i dont give myself enought confidence so i never tend to enter these things also i dont believe i have luck of winning and i never would think as my self as someone special on here but i will enter one im interested in i guess and maybe something to do with ufo's/alien's cya around guys and good luck who ever is entering!!!!!

Hey hey, there buddy! NO SELF-DEPRICATION ON MY POST!

I'm just going to assume you're pretty young, and that's good. You shouldn't have any confidence yet. Confidence rises from success. Failure is the biggest part of success, you see, the most successful of people have failed many more times than those who never set out to try. But through trying and failing and trying again, they were eventually successful!

And don't ever rely on luck, because if you do, you will find that most of it is bad. MAKE your luck!

[END PATRONIZATION]

Keep your chin to your chest, and your eyes on the enemy!

DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Yes delta,

Your guess was correct im 14 but i think im mature for my age but who am i kidding
ill take your advice and try for the best i might even enter the next contest comming up. The blog contest isnt for me and i dont have one but i dont really go into that i just come ask questions give answers and anything else i can do on here for fun
thanks again for the advice ill see you around man.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Can the history include WITD????

Coz that is a part of history also, even though he is a hacker....

and it did make quite an uproar in the server...

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Does anyone know how many people must apply for the project to continue?

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
i'm guessing 6, because i think they take the best 5 and choose from their. i could be mistaken. if no one else enters, you think they'd be kind enough to give all us of that have the title of historian? because i really want to do this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join