It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Govt strengthening Pine Gap laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Govt strengthening Pine Gap laws

news.smh.com.au

The federal government is strengthening laws to protect the top secret Pine Gap spy facility which has been the target of protesters.

Defence Minister Joel Fitzgibbon told parliament on Wednesday that the base, located in central Australia, had made an important contribution to the security of Australia and the United States
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
So now its more illegal??? I would have thought it was always this way.

Mr Fitzgibbon said the change would "deter mischief-makers and those with more sinister intent".

I really dont see the need for this as trespass is trespass no matter what. But these new laws apparently make breaching security at Pine Gap a "special defense undertaking."

Maximum penalty for this: 7 years

CT

CT

news.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I've been intrigued by Pine Gap for awhile now, it fact it's one of the subjects that originally led me to ATS. I suppose there's a good reason that I still don't really know what goes on there, but it just enhances its mystery. I'm surprise that even not many Australians have heard of the base in the heart of the country.

I recently wrote a short story with Melbourne, Pine Gap, and Uluru as settings entitled, These Dark Worlds (the prologue to an upcoming book, The Timewave Technicians). Anyway, thought I'd link it here - after the story are a number of links, including a few to photos and info on Pine Gap.

As for the new stronger laws regarding Pine Gap, they sound pretty ridiculous - they only add to the 'mystique' of the place.

[edit on 3/12/08 by Evasius]

new topics

join