It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African Americans and Crime Rates in USA, WHY???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
I think there is a wider issue here than most people think..

and as long as there are people like you ... who think like you ...

nothing will change.

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I would chalk most of it up to environmental and social factors. Poverty certainly plays a large role, as does a long history of oppression, subjugation, racism, and abuse. I get the impression that quite a lot of black youths are disillusioned with the system. Or worse, the system is completely beyond them. They're worried about getting what's there's while the gettin's good. Of course, this translates across pretty much all races in similar circumstances. (For a pop culture reference, see Sublime's April 29th, 1992) The pop culture merely reinforces this stereotype, as does the inherent racism in the justice system. Yes, it still exists. So does sexism in the workplace, as females even today typically earn less than their male counterparts for the same amount of work.

I seem to recall a study done of media headlines after hurricane Katrina which found that whites and blacks engaging in the same activity were generally portrayed quite differently. A white youth carrying food from a flooded convenience store was referred to as "scavenging for supplies", while a black youth carrying food from a flooded convenience store was described as "looting".

Are black youth's more apt to become criminals, or at least be convicted of criminal offenses? The statistics clearly say that they are. However, there's more than numbers and skin color to take into consideration.

The only way to stop the differences in race is to stop having race. If everyone interbred for the next 200 years we'd all turn out a creamy brown...be damn good looking, better suited for whatever environment we might come across and stop hating each other.

No. Contrary to popular belief, the races aren't slowly mixing into one central race. We're splintering further and further apart genetically, despite this age of near instant travel and communication. Further, even if you were combine all of the races together into some central race - you'd only weaken the species. Despite our racial infighting, it's the diversity of our species which will be it's greatest advantage in adapting to a changing environment.

Life thrives through diversification, not specialization.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by Lasheic]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ll__raine__ll

Originally posted by midnightbrigade

and as long as there are people like you ... who think like you ...

nothing will change.

What the hell are you babbling about? I'm a humanist for God's sake. I'm calling for an end to racism by accepting peoples differences and understanding that it's a small few who resort to this type of behavior. Re read the post, and make sure you understand it before you try to criticize me.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Can we please keep it civil!

Civility and Decorum are Required

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lasheic
Despite our racial infighting, it's the diversity of our species which will be it's greatest advantage in adapting to a changing environment.

Life thrives through diversification, not specialization.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by Lasheic]

You sure about that? Sickle cell anemia proves resistant to malaria, which afflicts white people more. Malaria however has proven resistant to HIV which afflicts black people more. (I read somewhere that black people are more than twice as likely to contract HIV than whites. Not because of demographics but because of immune structure.) I would be curious to see a combination of that setup and how it plays out. I would also point out that specialized insects, such as ants, are incredibly successful by specializing. Interesting argument, yet off topic. Hit me up U2U if you would like to chat about it

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   

No. Contrary to popular belief, the races aren't slowly mixing into one central race. We're splintering further and further apart genetically, despite this age of near instant travel and communication. Further, even if you were combine all of the races together into some central race - you'd only weaken the species. Despite our racial infighting, it's the diversity of our species which will be it's greatest advantage in adapting to a changing environment.

are you sure about that? because two of my four children are blue white, as in whiter than even white people are, lol. the races do seem to be mixing in some countries.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DroolsAlot

I could get drawn into a massive debate, backed by sound statistics and what I consider to be sound reasoning that could explain why black people are more likely to commit crime.

Instead all I will say is this:

How does it matter? As long as laws are equally enforced across the spectrum of society, and as long as each person is capable of doing anything (ie no statutory discrimination), then each person will end up in the position that he is capable of.

If black people are disproportionately likely to commit a crime, so be it. I dont think there is anything that needs to be done in a proactive manner to counteract anything done by the black community.

If and when people get fed up of living like thugs in ghettos, maybe they will try and improve themselves and their own situation.

Isnt the president elect half black? Perhaps the "Oreos" in the class will start to take pride in the fact that they can achieve something of greater value than a rap career, a harem of "bitches" or popping a cap in someone's posterior.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

yes you're so right. i agree with you and midnight brigade and gemwolf at el ... people just need to get over themselves and get on with their lives and stop blaming others for their problems.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mozzy
well it seems to me that many of you are incapable of independent thought and analysis. you are forced to choose, based on the emotions present, one side or the other.

if any of you would be in a thread that claimed white people were responsible for the death of millions of indians and mexicans you would be the first to raise a flag. for some reason you have chosen this as a haven to prove your evenmindedness.

i've known people that were banned IMMEDIATELY for posting drivel like this on ATS. i suppose it's because it's a wednesday night and the mods really don't care.

i will use this thread to support my own belief that most people are mediocre and cannot therefore be expected to produce anything but that. afterall it's what's to be expected.

(by the way.. quite saying your when it's "you're")

Well begone then, and let us peons who are so obviously beneath you discuss the things that the OP has put forward. Maybe one day when we're of sufficient intellect and moral aptitude, we can come join your elitist court of wise old souls where you shall impart your knowledge and wisdom upon the lower classes.

And there is a QUOTE button for a reason, use it if you intend on replying to people and expect us lowly racist savages to understand who it is you are replying to.

The OP asked a valid question, one that I have heard asked here in Australia many times. Never have I heard an answer, however, that has not had to be winnowed from the accusations of racist and other comments from the all seeing, all knowing wise ones...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

Blacks were caught first? It doesnt prove that at all. Prison stats could be used to "prove" all sorts of things. Maybe blacks are more more likely to commit a felony crime and whites are more likely to commit misdemeanors? This could give us the possibility of whites committing far more crimes than blacks just not going to prison for it. Maybe all the whites are going to prison for raping kids and getting killed by the blacks while in prison? Maybe crime in general is an urban predominant problem and in most cities the black population is equal to if not greater than the white population in which case we can say crime is a population density issue not a race related issue.

It's stupid to look at prison race stats and run off believing the answer is 1 thing and 1 thing only.

People are scum and once they discover some societal clique or image that justifies their scummy behavior we're all in trouble regardless of whether it's a bunch of crackers in a field wearing robes getting ready to string up a homosexual or a bunch of black teenagers who think shooting an old man in the head for $1.32 will get them "bitches and ho's."

They're all just functioning retards finding something in common with each other to enable and justify their tard behaviors/tendencies/urges within the group.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Honestly, this is a true conflict in society, and im glad you chose to come out and say what most people wont. Im only a student, just turning 19. I have to say it almost disgusts me to turn on tv (which I rarely ever do) and see the stuff that the black people get subjected to on tv. I mean look at BET, Its just a consumer guide for black people if you ask me, just something showing them what they should be like and what they should buy, it also seems like it aims at dumbing the dumb down as well (as all tv does with the acception of a few channles). One of the things that bugs me alot, is the fact that 80% of rap/hip is always promoting some sort of violence, gangs, whores and of course how rich they are because of it. I mean sure back in the 70's and maybe even 60's music was controversial, but on a diffrent level, refrencing drugs too often. I almost feel bad when I see young black males, who dress like they are told too, talk like they are told too and worst of all do what they are told too.

And I mean im just graduating high school, and as someone posted before, all high schools have their cliques, like even me, some would say I'm a "stoner" but in all honesty, look at me, im on a website, voluntarily writing about something I truely care about. But I mean the black clique I would have to say was the worse to deal with in my school. They would all stand in one section of this one hallways, screamin and hollerin, as if they just graduated from grade school. I look at other cliques, and they are no where near as rowdy, loud, obnoxious and arrogant. Thats not to say, I have never talked to them, I didnt shut them out for it. And I'm sure the majority of them are genuinely caring people. One thing I can tell you is that at my school, when it comes to violence, I would say 3/4 of the fights I seen through my years were between black people.

As I said before, it disturbs me to see black people getting such a bad reputation, and my band mate is even black, so dont even give me any racist or ignorant lables, cause I'm one of the most open minded people I know, and the reason I express my views soo boldly is because it needs to be said.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DroolsAlot
Look, im not racist at all. But I wanted to ask this question wich is been bugging me for quite some time about African Americans and crime.

Now im not saying ALL african americans are criminals or anything like that, because clearly there is african american cops, lawyers, doctors etc. But I just looked up statistics on crimes in the us and there is an average of 1 white person per 4 african americans in jail. Not only that, when I drive down the street in my neighborhood, I see black thugs walking down the road, a few mexan thugs every now and then and every once i a while ill see a white thug dude. When I watch stuff on tv about murders and such, the murders are usually caused by african americans on african americans. When you watch Cops, the majority of the videos are concerning african american criminals. When you see documentaries of people in jail, the majority of the people on tv in the cells are black. I guess this is just a big concern for me and what I want to know is why this is the case. Does it go back to slavery days? Or is it because of the rap and hiphop culture that the youth have listened too all their life that raps about how slangin drugs and smakin hoes is ok? Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Give me a break. I'm a black american, but I'm not in prison. I make over $36,000 a year.

Second of all, you don't know what it's like to be a black american in America. I mean, if I go into a Cleveland mall, the security guards come up with guns, and start pointing at me saying "I'm gonna get that guy".

If I buy a greyhound ticket at the Cleveland Greyhound Station, the security guards run up to me and ask infinite questions. When I show them my ticket and answer all their questions, they grab me drag me into a back office and torture me. Why? I'd imagine so I try to save myself and they have a lame reason to shoot me to death. Oh, yeah, and you're "well why didn't you go to the cops" response coming up... well, actually I did. They just said "well, they said you fit a description, they can do whatever they want".

Okay, so I haven't gone to prison or anything, I'm trying be a good guy... so here come the aliens with the psychic and garbage (this started in 2005), and now I can't get to sleep at night without 8 shots of vodka. Okay, well last night I tried to slip by with 7, but with a psychic in your head 24/7 for years and years, and consistent liquor to get to sleep at night for over a year now, I can hardly breathe.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

wow man

wow

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
again this thread is ridiculous.

there is an italian mafia
there is a mexican mafia
there is a black mafia
and there is a white mafia
and there is a chinese mafia

guess what? there's lots of mafias. singling out black people as crime committers is redundant and it's a lame attempt at "trying to understand the world".

i've known lots of white criminals. most strip clubs are owned by white men and are nothing but drug fronts where mobsters and WHITE dirty cops come to get steroids, x, and speed.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Sorry for the anonymous post. Ill get a real username and password following this, but you guys also are not looking at the world wide issue.

Its not just in america but world wide, if you study anthropology black crime is high world over. You cannot just say its poverty. What, its white peoples faults that Africa hasnt held down civilization since we began walking?
Africans have not had any major inventions?
Most crime is black on white?

You cannot blame America for the failings of the African race and you cannot also congratulate America for the forwarding of European dominance.

Who invented all this stuff that we have today?
Satellites
Internet
Phones
Electricity
Advances in Science
The industrial revolution

I can tell you who it wasnt!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by wookiee

Thank you. But that is considered poverty to spoiled idiots. Everyone things they should have everything, they don't live within their means. This isn't just American Africans, this is everyone. So many Americans don't really understand poverty.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

Your post reminds me of the movie Eagle Eye.

As far as the OP, I agree that poverty brings out the worst in people, but there are also many other factors adding to the mix here in America.

It's hard to get up and run when there's a huge weight on top of you and everyone around you is running seemingly weight-free. That fact alone is like an invisible weight added to your back. It's not impossible to run, but it's very hard.

It helps when you have a good support team around you, helping you up when you fall and encouraging you to press forward, assuring you you can do it. It's true that when people believe in you it makes you believe in yourself.

Sometimes your own family can keep you down by telling you you'll never get out or become better your whole life. When your mind accepts it, it's who you become.

You don't get to choose the family you're born into, the people you're surrounded by early in life. If the people you're surrounded by make you feel accepted, you stay next to them and addapt to their way of living and you feel you have a 'place in the world'.

This false sense of comfort can sometimes trap you in a bad place and you don't realize this until you're older and it's too late to try to get the children you brought into the world out of this downward spiral environment of gangs, violence and drugs.

It's easy to say that there are plenty of white people born in the pit of poverty who climb their way out and make a better life for themselves, but remember, when they go to the better areas, where the better jobs are and there are no gangs, drug wars or violence, they look around and see other white faces which makes them feel comforted, accepted, a sense of 'place in the world'.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I agree with what you wrote. I have been in jail and it is the same in the womans jails. I think a lot of things play a role. Poverty, parenting amoung other things. I can go on and on about reasons why things are this way. Hopefully at some point things will change. The old syndrome will go away. now that there will be a half-black president there is no excuse anymore. Maybe it will make things better. Hopefully for the sake of their blood line it will change.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join