It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African Americans and Crime Rates in USA, WHY???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Look, im not racist at all. But I wanted to ask this question wich is been bugging me for quite some time about African Americans and crime.

Now im not saying ALL african americans are criminals or anything like that, because clearly there is african american cops, lawyers, doctors etc. But I just looked up statistics on crimes in the us and there is an average of 1 white person per 4 african americans in jail. Not only that, when I drive down the street in my neighborhood, I see black thugs walking down the road, a few mexan thugs every now and then and every once i a while ill see a white thug dude. When I watch stuff on tv about murders and such, the murders are usually caused by african americans on african americans. When you watch Cops, the majority of the videos are concerning african american criminals. When you see documentaries of people in jail, the majority of the people on tv in the cells are black. I guess this is just a big concern for me and what I want to know is why this is the case. Does it go back to slavery days? Or is it because of the rap and hiphop culture that the youth have listened too all their life that raps about how slangin drugs and smakin hoes is ok? Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.

+22 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I think the root cause is poverty.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I think you have a lot of thugs for one neighborhood. Consider a move.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
your thread has meaning to it, but you are completely wrong about your statistics and findings. i ahven't checked the jail statistics in a few years but earlier this century it was about 40/40 black/white with a few minorites making up the rest.

young black males are very hostile, possibly more so than young white males. this is not a good statistic to make because you have to define what region/state you are discussing and the situations surrounding it.

as it stands you are.....completely racist......

otherwise, you're just ignorant. which is probably worse.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DroolsAlot

I agree that the root cause could be poverty but the fact that hip hop and rap are as much a part of being black as voting Obama into the white house(Many rappers even made songs about it), brings up the matter that the new black pop culture is killing the minds of young people in general and must have some sort of affect on society. Which in this case equals out to more blacks in prison then whites and anyone who disputes the fact that most black music is vulgar and mainly surrounds a certain type of life style, I would like you to point out the white men and women making the same music because I can count one at the moment. I do think that another reason is stereotyping and lets be honest the bigotry in this country has gone far but is still clear and present in many states. But the odd statistic is that whites are the overwhelming majority in the US so technically by that principle, white men and women should fill prisons. I'm in no way shape or form racist but I am very concerned with the growing trend of irresponsible behavior by black celebrity figures, the latest can be seen by puting ESPN on and watching them talk about Palixxico Burress shooting himself in the leg. Most black role models are not fulfilling their role, all I have to say is thank god for Obama, there is something else to life other then Football and Basketball.

this is a link to a graph showing from 1995-2005 more blacks in prison followed by whites. www.swivel.com...

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Lokey13]

+27 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rizla
I think the root cause is poverty.

Show me 'poverty' in the US!

At least one car, two tv's, one of which is widescreen, at least one phone & cellphone.
Housing with air conditioning, so much money, they can buy food a convenience stores that charge 25%± more than grocery stores.

Poverty's not the problem.

Free handouts is the problem, if they were made to work, those numbers would be different.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Much of it has to do with the culture. If a black kid is smart and trying to get ahead he's called an Oreo. Because most black kids are raised in the toughest parts of town it's a stereotype that's hard to get away from.

It's not just black people though. Go to any high school and you have your cliques. The preppies, the stoners, the jocks. Everyone is trying to find the group they fit in with best.

Black people have a social clique going of the hip hop banger that's rappin' and downin' a 40'.

That's better than in the 70's when they were each and everyone a pimp.

It's a hell of a lot better than the white guys in the 70's who were all disco dancing. (I hang my head in shame.)

Culture is a tough thing to get around.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
it's hard to imagine blaming one race as being more criminal than another. i've never considered myself a humanitarian or a defender against racism but this is simply ignorant.

people are scum, end of story.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

40/40 black/white mix in prisons supports the original claim in that this ratio is incredibly disproportionate with the population able to move freely. Though this could easily be taken as a racist judicial system.

I don't know but I'd reckon a strong majority would argue any said criminal tendencies to be environmental, societal results with WAY less arguing it's biologically inherent.
This sounds really racist but does anybody ever think a little bit of it could be genetic or inherent? This was the popular thinking up until only recently.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
If they are going to have gun and people control then I do hope that they crack down (no pun intended) on the dregs of society that deal drugs openly and operate in criminal gangs with no respect for law and order - committing crimes (incl murder) promiscuously. No doubt most of these are black (and an even greater percent of the population) and it goes beyond poverty. After the abolishment of slavery we didnt see this much violence but with the rise of black athletes and hip hop artists and their conspicuous consumption and concomitant attitudes the young blacks of this generation feel more entitled than their parents generation....plus I think that black males seem to have a higher level of testosterone (chemical aggression) as attested by their higher rates of prostrate cancer.
Not that I am prejudiced tho as most blacks that I knew when I grew up (few on athletic teams) were nice people and not gangbangers.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
40/40 would NOT support that more black are imprisoned than whites proportionately and it would NOT support that there are more black criminals.

first of all you would have to assume that prisons were capable of holding the same proportionate amount of each race to begin with. they are not. they hold up to their capacity which does not equate to population proportions. when prisons are full they are full, you cannot assume that they were full with whites or with blacks before the reached their capacity.

second of all criminals far outnumber the number of inmates.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
mods please remove this post and ban the op. this is nothing but racist jargon based on the ops fear of said offenders.

had the op been stabbed, shot, impregnated, or otherwise harmed by said races the op would have stated it in his post.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Reply to Mozzy:

What does being abused by a race have anything to do with it? What your basically saying is that if I was beaten by a black man that I'm allowed to be a racist, this isn't exactly a good way of thinking. Also from your first post you seemed very troubled by the Op's position, could this be why you're so defensive and are instantly calling the OP racist because he doesn't think like you do? This topic could be discussed in a none racial manner, first off I believe my post wasn't racist at all an sites factual information if everyone else can do this some information may actually be obtained. I also come from a black community and I'm a "minority".

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
You know my entire life I have never had a crime commited to me by an African American.

Everything that is bad in my life can be blamed on someone that's white! Seriously think about it.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DroolsAlot

I think it goes back to the slavery days, white people in America hold on to racist thoughts for a long time. Obama being elected is a topic for a NWO related thread. As for the jail population, the whole justice system needs an overhaul as to what type of punishment fits the crime.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
poverty. drug laws. people that make laws. parenting (single mother homes). hiphop in general can not be to blame. I mean even programmers are rapping these days. socially conscious rap is ignored most of the time by MSM (look up Evening News-by Chamillionaire). How many poor caucasions are their compared to poor blacks? who is probably going to steal, a middle class male that could afford to go to college or a lower class male that could barely get enough money to eat from his mcdonalds job? Of course there is alot more to why people commit crims but these are some reasons

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

What does being abused by a race have anything to do with it? What your basically saying is that if I was beaten by a black man that I'm allowed to be a racist, this isn't exactly a good way of thinking

it is relevant to the discussion. the op did not state that the people he saw committed crimes. he implied that they were threatening to him. your second sentence is beneath contempt.

Also from your first post you seemed very troubled by the Op's position, could this be why you're so defensive and are instantly calling the OP racist because he doesn't think like you do?

unlike the op, i used lateral thinking and rational thought to come to my conclusions. not the sinking feeling of despair that comes when you're faced with younger, stronger males in your vicinity. i'm stating the op is a racist because his post CLEARLY depicts his position and point of view as being nothing but.

.This topic could be discussed in a none racial manner, first off I believe my post wasn't racist at all an sites factual information if everyone else can do this some information may actually be obtained. I also come from a black community and I'm a "minority".

it could and it should, and this thread isn't that. it's the opposite of that. i did not say you were racist and sorry if i implied that. i come from a white community and am white, it's irrelevant. the facts are perspective are relevant and the op stated NO FACTS at all so therefore the thread is irrelavent!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Nevertheless, there is a racial element here- whether it's in the system or the race.
I don't see why prison populations and civilian populations would match up if blacks tie at 40/40 when here total pop has whites 8 to 1:

www.census.gov...

------------------------------------------------------------
www.census.gov...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Very well put Mozzy and I actually wanted to say something about that to the OP. Why he was so afraid of people just walking the street, and why he stereotypes that these kids are said "thugs". I agree he sounds a little racist but calling him one is a full blown conclusion give him a chance to answer a few questions, you know kids mozzy they talk before they think, lets see if he thinks about his replies before closing the thread.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
what did i just say? prisons cannot hold a proportionate amount of each. therefore it's irrelevant to expect them to do so. if prisons fill up with blacks before they do with whites that only proves that blacks were caught first.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join