It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of New Species are Discovered on a Tiny Island

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
latest find...

February 5, 2009--The Walea pygmy seahorse is one of five species named in a flurry of recent seahorse discoveries from coral reefs in the Red Sea and Indonesia. All five are less than an inch tall (2.5 centimeters) and are among the tiniest known vertebrates.

source: news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
So sweet... they're finding all sorts of new species on Plateaus now, too.
Totally my favorite thing about zoology. Finding new species.
Completely what I want to do with my life.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Not quite tiny islands, but the poles do share a common characteristic in being very isolated.

Odd, Identical Species Found at Both Poles

February 15, 2009--Spinning a "mucus net" off its paddle-like foot-wings to trap algae and other foods, the swimming snail species Limacina helicinia is no bigger than a bean. But the discovery that it and at least 234 other species inhabit both Arctic and Antarctic waters is big news to biologists.

Finding so many species inhabiting both Poles "startled" scientists, according to a statement today from the Census of Marine Life, an international project to assess all marine life--past, present, and future--by 2010. Among the other dual-Pole species: whales, worms, and crustaceans.

Exactly where these species came from and how they ended up a world apart--with comparatively warm oceans in between--remains a mystery, the scientists said.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Just when i thought i had seen it all... i stumble across this fish with a transparent head:

Macropinna macrostoma (common name "barreleyes") can rotate its eyes to a vertical position; because its head is transparent, it can then see predators or prey above itself without moving its body!

Two net-caught individuals contained fragments of jellyfish, which must have been their last meal. Such a potentially painful dinner requires incredible stealth, so it’s now thought that barreleyes carefully maneuvers its body near such stinging organisms, keeping its “eyes on the prize,” as the researchers said, throughout the entire hunt. Its tiny mouth then picks at the victim while a transparent shield protects the fish’s eyes.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

here ya go just spotted this posted else where figured id mouch it over here and steal credit ^_^

hey look what i found .... *honest

let u all marvel at the funny fihy and the submarines pilots capture fail

[edit on 26/2/09 by noobfun]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Truly alien... "New "Rainbow Glow" Jellyfish Found".

It's as if some of these came right out of a sifi novel.

I'd love to see this one in action too.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Oh, amazing LOL. I love the pics and videos, some of these creatures are just beautiful. I will be showing these pictures to my children, they will love em as well.

Peace

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Wow those are very cool looking and the colors and patterns on some are amazing! I liked the unidentified crab and spider crab

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Over 200 New Amphibians Found in Madagascar

Most have the shape of a typical tropical frog... but some have some truly spectacular skin designs/patterns

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I may be completely wrong, but with all these people getting ticked off about how stupid it is to deny evolution, couldn't God have given animals the ability to evolve? Idk it just makes a lot more sense to me to stop everyone from freakin out at eachother

Leave god out of it and you get the same results. No need for the Great Sky Fairy.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by The All Seeing I
Over 200 New Amphibians Found in Madagascar

Most have the shape of a typical tropical frog... but some have some truly spectacular skin designs/patterns

A friend of mine was part of this team. I was sooo jealous when I heard she was going

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I may be completely wrong, but with all these people getting ticked off about how stupid it is to deny evolution, couldn't God have given animals the ability to evolve? Idk it just makes a lot more sense to me to stop everyone from freakin out at eachother

Leave god out of it and you get the same results. No need for the Great Sky Fairy.

A very accurate way of applying Occam's Razor (OR). Isaac Newton stated the rule of OR as... "We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances." Ernst Mach advocated a version of OR which stating that "Scientists must use the simplest means of arriving at their results and exclude everything not perceived by the senses."

Besides Anonymous ATS... if god is really behind evolution, s/he must be one cruel sadistic mofo. Survival of the fittest is a truly torturous process. I think it would be more relevant to state/study the evolution of religion... in that it plays on mankind’s greed, hopes and fears to gain global dominance.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Each year the International Institute for Species Exploration announces a list of the Top 10 New Species for the preceding calendar year.

Here is IISE's Top 10 New Species for 2008 and 2009.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Symbolically significant as well as fascinating in scale... from the 2008 list ... i found this high rez image of the Barbados Threadsnake (Leptotyphlops carlae) The world’s tiniest, quarter-wrapping only found in Barbados.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/155ad0f1bbea.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join