This thread serves to summarize the "Ancient Astronaut Theory" (AAT), also called the "Paleocontact Theory" by scientists such as Carl Sagan.
It will also examine objections against the theory and rebuttals of those objections.
Images Posted in this Opening: Some Depictions that are popular within AAT Circles
AAT say that earth has been visited by ETs and/or technologically superior humans in very ancient times and that these events have been recorded as
encounters with "Gods", "Flying Chariots", "Wars of Worlds" in ancient mythologies, legends and religions.
The general publics resistance against the Ancient Astronaut Theory derives from the fact that it appears
to contradict two very fundamental
pillars of societies belief-systems:
* Religious Creationism
* Darwinist Evolution Theory
As I will show in other posts, it does not actually contradict Creationism or Evolution, but as it appears
to it is met with resistance and an
ongoing smear-campaign perpetuated by certain circles (I will go into this later in the thread).
It will however require us to rewrite large portions of our textbooks on religion and history...and this is why its emergence into the mainstream is
moving along very slowly.
AAT is not the same by every researcher. Zecharia Sitchin (originator of the theories surrounding the Sumerian Annunaki) for example believes we were
not only visited
by extraterrestrials but actually created by them. Others say we were only ocassionally visited by ETs throughout history.
Another theory, that is almost unknown, even among UFOlogists is the "Mimicry-Theory" which proposes an intelligence that shows up in different
forms basically "posing" according to the general belief-systems of the time. We will examine this too.
The best work on AAT today is, in my personal opinion, published by the Swiss "Ancient Astronaut Society" which unites hundreds of scientists and
researchers presenting their latest findings in journals. Many of these do not make it to the bookstore although they contain true gems of AAT. Some
scientists do not want them to become too popular as not to diminish their reputation in academic circles.
Some of the evidence AA-Theorists use, which we will be examining in this Thread:
1. The similarity
of ancient accounts, mythologies, cults and religions from all around the world, all basically describing "Gods" that flew
around, performed technical "miracles", created things, destroyed them, taught humans skills, etc. In AAT we propose that our ancestors were
describing technological events they didnt have the right vocabulary for. So saying "flames came out of the flying serpent" could very well be the
description of an aircraft...for example.
A good example of Global Correlation in regards to a "Goddess" I posted a while ago in this thread:
Tara - Extraterrestrial Goddess
In that thread we could see Goddess "Tara" showing up in Buddhism, Hinduism, with the Druids, the Cheyenne of America, South America and Polynesia.
2. Out-of-place & Out-of-time Artifacts: These are archaeological findings that contradict the conventional doctrine of ancient history and/or hint at
more superior knowledge of the ancients. The book "Forbidden Archaeology" by Michael Cremo is an example of a researcher focussing on OOPA
3. Cargo-Cults: Indigenous tribes that had supposedly never been in contract with our civilization were known to mistake sailors and discoverers for
“returning Gods”. This points out that these tribes had probably been visited by such “advanced Gods” at an earlier date.
4. De-Evolution. Some cultures display evidence of De-Evolution rather than progress-over-time. The best example is ancient Egypt which is known to
have started at its height and descended from dynasty to dynasty instead of developing. The more mediocre the Pyramids are, the later they were found
to be built! This indicates a higher level of technology in earlier times than we even have records for.
5. The Missing Evolutionary Link: AAT can provide the so-called “missing link” in Evolution-Theory. While much of Evolution Theory can be proven
and demonstrated, some things are unexplained, for example just where intelligence suddenly came from. According to AAT evolution could have been
influenced from outside sources, such as extraterrestrials. While this doesn’t solve the problem of where ETs got their intelligence, some
scientists do believe they have found evidence for different types of “interference” within our evolutionary history.
6. The Missing Link between scientific evolution theory and religious creationism: For Science there are no Gods and for Religion the Gods were
something unexplainable or almighty. AAT closes the gap between Science and Religion by saying, yes the Gods existed, but no, they are not what you
think. Unfortunately neither Science nor Religion will welcome the obvious with open arms. It should be obvious to all but the mentally challenged
that there can also be a Supreme Being ("Almighty God") in a Universe full of extraterrestrials and that the existence of extraterrestrials does not
contradict evolution-theory in any way.
7. Mythological Accounts turning out to be true. This is where it gets interesting. One example: In my Thread
The Rainbow Serpents
it was shown that some of the very ancient Mythology of the
Australian Aborigines concerning geological data of the way places looked ten-thousands of years ago was verified by scientists.
Therefore: Who are we to dismiss their accounts as "fiction" (which is already implied by calling their historical accounts "Mythology").
Presenting my case for Ancient ETs will take up to 5 article-length posts, to be continued in the next posts
Reference to Evidence posted throughout the thread:
* Questionable Tactics against Ancient Astronaut Theory
* Signs of Ancient Genetic Engineering
* Reports of Ancient Space Flight
* Reports of Ancient Time Dilitation
* Similarities in Global Mythology
* Mythology turning out to be scientifically verified
* Odd Skulls
* African Mythology confirming how the Gods "descended from the Sky" to interact with humans
* Exodus 19: "God" appearing with smoke and lightning, on "the wings of an eagle" and wanting people not to see his aircraft
* More Biblical passages indicating the association with flying craft connected to smoke and fire.
* Abydos Helicopter
* Winged Discs
* The Mystery of Mawangdui
* The Validity of AAT as a Theory
* Ancient Astronauts: Picture Gallery (including the ancient drilled hole)
* Elohim: A Plural
* The Mimicry Theory
* Nazca Lines Part 1 - The Official Versions
* Book Burnings: A Cause of lost Wisdom?
* Magnetic and Electric Anomalies on, at and in the Nazca Plateau
* The Missing Links in Ancient Agriculture
* Ancient Nano-Spirals
* Non-Human Prehistoric Skulls
* The Ancient Mahabarate & Ramanyana confirm AAT.
Chinese Archaeologists ask: Why was our culture more advanced at its beginnings than in later Dynasties?
The only known stone pyramid in China is in a place called Qufu.
Any relation to the Egyptian Khufu, who is said to have built the Great Pyramid of Giza?
[edit on 30-3-2009 by Skyfloating]