It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Flying Reptile Species Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
A new flying reptile species has been discovered in Brazil. It had a wing span of 5 meters (16.4ft) and was named Lacusovagus.

The new species was named Lacusovagus, meaning lake wanderer

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

BBC: New flying reptile species found

3 December 2008

A researcher at the University of Portsmouth has identified the new type of pterosaur, the largest of its kind ever to have been discovered.

[---]

Mark Witton estimated that the pterosaur had a wingspan of 16.4ft (5m) and would have been more than 39in (1m) tall at the shoulder.

[---]

"The discovery of something like this in Brazil - so far away from its closest relatives in China - demonstrates how little we actually know about the distribution and evolutionary history of this fascinating group of creatures."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The lake wanderer would have flown in the skies some 115 million years ago. Interesting creature. Could any of them still be alive today? Imagine meeting this thing when you're out fishing. Any weird reports which could've been triggered by a sighting of this thing, or by some of his smaller relatives? I've heard rumours of attacks by pterodactyl-like creatures in Congo. However, there's no evidence.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Oh, you had me confused there at first. I didn't think it was an extinct creature you were talking about. I was like FINALLY!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MilitaryMan

Having lived in swamp lands at various times and having encountered things beyond my belief system, i have often thought about pterosaurs and find them to be a highly interesting subject.

Especially considering that man (yes, human beings) once lived side by side with them and once considered them to be the most antagonistic of adversaries (if so, then therefore...)

Good find

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I wonder what a flock of them looked like, and what they ate. Crocodiles? *laughs*

Or a lot of bird seed.

Wonder if they were flyers or gliders.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Kind of a misleading thread title, does the OP know that it's fossils that were discovered and not a living creature?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez

misleading thread title

It's the same title as the BBC article...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
There are a number of accounts I'm sure you can find rather easily.
I know one at Guantonamo by two service men. Fascinating read.
I will go as far as to say I live in the Calif. desert. One night something huge flew right over our car( my wife was driving) in the opposite direction. What ever it was
these two huge claws as big as my fists (I have big hands]were all that
lit up in the lights for us to see. It happened so fast it didn't even scare us.
I immediatly said "you see that?" yep, was all she said.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by randyvs]

new topics

top topics

join