It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No wonder U.S. cars suck - UAW reveals 'jobs' bank

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
This sounds alot like severance pay to me. Based on our contract if I get laid off the Hospital will have to pay me 7 months of my salary .

The jobs bank sound alot like this to me.

lil' different situation here...

you go off to new job...

they go back to work...usually same plant within a month...

nothing wrong with the bank...

they just need to reduce the cap on length...

look up 'GEN' in the contract...general employment numbers

[edit on 6-12-2008 by OldThinker]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Examples:

You hand me a blank card and ask to sign my name because we are doing a raffle at work later. Then I find out that card was used in a card check,

Ok, WHY would you sign ANY blank piece of paper? Raffles aren't run that way. That would just be stupid. And card checks have very specific rules that they must follow. The intent and purpose of the card check has to be plainly stated on the card or it cannot be counted. Please try not to simply make things up that supposedly support your position.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter
This is a video of a new Ford plant in Brazil. One look at this and you will be able to tell why there will probably never be another one built in the USA. It will also point out why more assembly plants will go offshore. And.. Pay attention to the last few words, it says a lot!

info.detnews.com...

Wow... that video was very interesting. What I gathered from it is that it's not that Ford can't get rid of inefficiency, it's because the UAW won't allow them to.

Like you said I think as long as the UAW is here, you will never see a plant like this in North America. They will continue to move plants elsewhere, and I applaud them.

Edit to add.

On that same page as the video of the most advanced car plant in the world, there is a link "South of the equator, Ford and GM prosper" of a list of articles talking about how the South American Market is booming and how these factories have to be the future of plants in North America if they want to be competitive in the future.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Cool Hand Luke]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
9 billion to pay suppliers
3 billion for other supply expendatures
900 million for employee wages
900 million for health care and benefits
900 million for operational costs

this is how the money will be allocated at chryslers. it seems to me that the unions are not the issue, and the sheep are still listening to the big government in turning its citizens against each other. but yea you can all still blame the unions. do not get me wrong, there are still some people who abuse the unions as in any job enviroment, but they do not last long in the uaw.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Apparently the UAW revelaed that is has a jobs bank that allows laid off workers to receive up to 95% of their pay after being laid off. In some cases workers are laid off for as long as a year while still receiving their pay.

GM is going to lay off more workers.

GM To Lay Off 2,000 More Workers At 3 Factories

The worsening U.S. auto sales slump claimed another 2,000 workers Friday as General Motors Corp. announced layoffs in Lordstown, Ohio, and at two other factories.

So, are these workers still going to receive 95% of their wages?

And if they do, is this what part of the bailout is going to be paying for?

Can you really call it a "lay off" if your still paying the workers 95% of their wages?

Sorry 'bout that, but it seems that all I've got are questions!

[edit on 12/6/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

thejobbanks have been being taken away for the past few years. please look at my earlier post. when in a job bank, u report to your local union hall the same time as u would start your work day. they they give you an assigment. usually community service, that MUST be done in order to recieve your pay. all this is only when there is no avaliable work. you can be asked to relocate up to 2 times while in the job bank. on the third you lose your job if you turn it down. you do not sit around and play cards all day. again the job banks have been going for tha past few years. at my plant our job bank was depleted 2 years ago. we have just recieved 40 union workers from NY this past month. i am in detroit. when you recieve the "95%" of your pay, it is half unemployment and the other half comes from thecompany. it is 340 a week unemployment and about 280 a week SUB-pay.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by dooperNo bailout. Let GM, and Ford go under, the UAW is out of the picture, and someone with some damned business sense can come in and start over. And keep the UAW out!

Excellent! Throw out the last of your manufacturing sector, and you can all work at Walmart and spend your off-hours shopping there, too. That'll keep the milage low on your KIA.

Nah, Toyota and Nissan will still produce cars in America and employ American workers.

Just, they have better business models that prevent the kind of losses seen by the Big 3.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Nah, Toyota and Nissan will still produce cars in America and employ American workers.

Just, they have better business models that prevent the kind of losses seen by the Big 3.

Let's just hope that their business models include a wage that
allows their workers to buy their product.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Let's just hope that their business models include a wage that
allows their workers to buy their product.

Well...i drive a Tahoe, and we also have an Avalanche. My wife and i both average around 14 an hour (give or take). Doesn't seem to be that hard, as the Tahoe and the Avalanche are neither considered "cheap" in the price category.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Imo, this is complete B.S waste of money! I know of a few G.M employees that were laid off that were placed in this "job bank" that still went to work everyday except that they did no work, only stayed in the employee lounge playing playstation and chit chating with other job bank recipients. This just goes to show you another example of of the influence that unions have on the american industries.... complete waste of money! if you look at the overall hourly wage of an entry level auto worker it's like 40.00 dollars an hour...sigh, just to what put like 4 screws in a door frame for 8 hours a day, come on any schmo moron could do that it just happens that the avrage person would have no chance at employment at an auto plant unless they knew someone on the inside or were relater to a foreman or something..lame! I hope they (the auto makers) as well as the employees had lot's of fun with all of that wasted money

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

wish we had an employee lounge with playstations and all that. not at chryslers, and i would love for you to come and try to do a job at an assembly plant. you would be crying and running to medical every hour.

you get about 45 seconds to do your job, and it is alot more then 4 screws in a dashboard or whatever you said.lol you build about 5-600 vehicles a day.

and all that wasted money that the employees "wasted" went straight into your economy.

but i do agree. it is a big waste of money. the auto makers should have disreguarded the big oil tycoons and developed alternative fuels years ago. implemented electrical cars when they were first invented. in what? 1947?

but i'm sorry. i work dang hard for my money. there isn't a day that i do not come home and my entire body aches from being on the "cake walk" assembly line.

[edit on 12/6/2008 by keeff]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I just find it very strange that the UAW staffed American auto manufacturers can't make it, and the Japanese car makers, including Toyota, Nissan, and so on can build plants here in the US and seem to make a profit.

Let's see. It isn't the horse, it isn't the saddle - oh - it must be the jockeys. In this case the UAW who's had it all their way now for decades.

GM and Ford operations abroad are quite successful. Just close the American operations down, get shut of the UAW, and later, if they think they need to, they can always expand in the US, away from their old UAW dominated haunts.

Come to the south or southwest, build your plants here, and you'll get good labor at good prices, which are reflected in the costs of producing a car. Those cost savings are in turn passed on to consumers, who can make a competitive product. Concentrate more on quality and less on imbedded worker costs.

You know what's a real bitch? I know a guy who owns a successful company, and if GM were to give him either an old EV or their "Skateboard" chassis, he could have either one of them running from coast to coast without any fuel or stopping to recharge. But he won't even talk about his technology until GM or Ford get the union leeches off their backs. He absolutely refuses. He says even if they had this technology, the UAW would still bleed these companies dry, and the quality would suffer, and he wants no part of it.

Well, you UAW folks got your people in office. You have both the Senate and the House. You have the President.

But you don't have the American people, and the House, the Senate, and yes, even the President elect knows that starting in two years, many are up for reelection. And since it looks as though the UAW won't be around in two years - well, no use cutting your own throat for another who's already cut their own throats.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by dooper]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by keeff

wish we had an employee lounge with playstations and all that. not at chryslers, and i would love for you to come and try to do a job at an assembly plant. you would be crying and running to medical every hour.

I didn't mean for my post to be taken as an attack, sorry if anybody took it that way. The information that I gave was obtained from close friends of mine who Work(ed) on lines at GM I can't tell you how many times they told me how mindless their jobs were that's all, in responce to what I quoted I think not, as a former soldier and current correctional officer I'm pretty sure I could handle the production line without running to medical as I often experience real physical danger in day to day job related tasks. Imo, the auto workers are grossly overpaid in relation to what they do of course I respect the job you have and it's a shame that your Armani clad leaders have lead you and your fellow workers into this current situation...Best wishes.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by keeff
reply to post by Keyhole

thejobbanks have been being taken away for the past few years. please look at my earlier post. when in a job bank, u report to your local union hall the same time as u would start your work day. they they give you an assigment. usually community service, that MUST be done in order to recieve your pay. all this is only when there is no avaliable work. you can be asked to relocate up to 2 times while in the job bank. on the third you lose your job if you turn it down. you do not sit around and play cards all day. again the job banks have been going for tha past few years. at my plant our job bank was depleted 2 years ago. we have just recieved 40 union workers from NY this past month. i am in detroit. when you recieve the "95%" of your pay, it is half unemployment and the other half comes from thecompany. it is 340 a week unemployment and about 280 a week SUB-pay.

That's all well and good, but my co-worker on Friday said she read that there were GM employees in the job bank up to three YEARS without having found a replacement spot - that's three years being paid for doing nothing! I'm trying to find a source to verify that - worse comes to worse, I'll have her raid her browsing history for Friday.

If that's confirmed, then how many other workers did the same? It's a waste of epic proportions and both the UAW and GM ought to be ashamed and disgraced that such was allowed to go on. No wonder the company is a sinking ship!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

thats all well and good,. but like i stated before . when in the "job bank" you MUST report to your local union hall where you are assigned community service that MUST be completed each week in order for you to recieve your pay.now lets not forget that at ANY job, after working a certian amount of time, then you are elegible for unemployment status when you are laid off, injured, or let go under good terms. the only difference between a union worker and EVERYONE else that collects unemployment. is a union worker MUST complete community service to recieve thier SUB-PAY.

SUB-PAY makes up the difference between UNEMPLOYMENT and the rest of the 95% of pay.which is about $280 a week.

also in order for one to be elegible for SUB-pay , you MUST work a certian amount of weeks in THAT year. 22 weeks, that does not include change over, holiday,vacation, sick leave, or personal absence.

[edit on 12/8/2008 by keeff]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Do certain automotive companies even deserve tax payer handouts?

www.brasschecktv.com...

In the late 1990s, General Motors sold an electric car that traveled 300 miles on a charge, could be fully charged in an hour, and could be operated for the equivalent of 60 cents per gallon.

No oil filters, no oil changes, no emissions, no trips to the gas station.

So what did they do?

When it became apparent the marketplace actually wanted these cars, it rounded then all up and destroyed them.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join