It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper to address nation on crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Golly! this is starting to get interesting

"OTTAWA, Dec 3 (Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper will address the nation on Wednesday night as speculation heightens that he will ask for a temporary suspension of Parliament to try to prevent the opposition from taking power."

www.reuters.com...

I am not Harpers biggest fan he is big oil all the way. Still the Majority here seem not to like the idea of a Government take over. And well I guess you have to stick up for the majority in a circumstance like this

[Mod Edit: ex tags]

Please Review: New Site Tag For Quoting External Sources

[edit on 3/12/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
if he prorogues, then he is a dipsh*t

it would put parliament on hold until January

so for 30 days or so nothing would be done to fix the economy

go Conservatives....not

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
There is a lot of Grey area regarding this. Ethically speaking of course.
I sense a disturbance in the force

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
They are all just desparate for power.I find this all funny.I don't really care for politics as I find it moronic.
I will be following this one tho.
I still think its a basic do you want to get screwed standing or sitting??

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
They are all just desparate for power.I find this all funny.I don't really care for politics as I find it moronic.
I will be following this one tho.
I still think its a basic do you want to get screwed standing or sitting??

I agree
it's pretty pathetic really

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of a coalition. The people have made their choice. That said Harper shouldn't be strong arming the other parties. He's forcing their hand. I see this as an attempt by Harper to sway public opinion to gain a majority.

I'd feel a lot better if there wasn't a precident for coalition gov'ts in the past.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The latest Angus Reid polls say that 37% of my fellow Canadians would let a coalition Gov. form and 32% would prefer another election while 7% would let a coalition govern by accord. Only 25% are comfortable with Stephane Dionne as PM. With 64% uncomfortable with this. I'm in that 64%. Although I think they should give a coalition a shot.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I believe there is precedent in 1926. Anyway thats what I read in the paper yesterday.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

64% of the public did not vote for Harper.

Its funny how the Conservatives keep saying its un-democratic to form this coalition when they tried to do the same thing in 2004 and 2000. They also keep saying how evil it is to join with the seperatists. They did the same thing in 2000.

Pot calling the kettle black.

They just dont want to loose power.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I think that if they had another election the numbers would be the same or slightly different. I don't think Harper would come close to a majority government.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

they will never ever have a majority

unless they legalized pot but hey that will never happen

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
I think that if they had another election the numbers would be the same or slightly different. I don't think Harper would come close to a majority government.

I wouldn't lay money on that. Canadians are tired of elections and the money that is wasted on them. They might give him his majority just to end this stalemate. I think that's what he's counting on. Forget the fact that HE called the last election and is pushing the other parties to react in this way. Damn, he's a helluva politician. Gotta give him that.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I think they are all being so slimy that it is absolutely shameful to see.
What ever happened to the people vote (laugh laugh) and thats the guy.
I think its wrong for the others to form a coalition.Thats not what the people voted for.
Democracy is a bit of a joke and this proves it in my eyes.
I don't really care who wins.Politics is a lying mans game.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Ok, I have a very out there theory on this. Just read it and tell me what you think.

I listened to a lot of talk radio and keep an eye on our news channels. Yesterday and today, I heard or watched at least 15-20 members of the Conservative caucus talk about this. I also watched a bit of Question period.
I stopped counting at 67 times today that the Bloc Quebecois where referred to as the Separatists.

Not once were they referred to by the Party name. Even Duceppe was called the Leader of the Separatists, not Mr. Duceppe. The callers into the radio shows also never once refered to them as the Bloc. The ones that support the Conservatives anyway. Always the Separatists. The full force of the Conservative Propaganda machine is in high gear. No don't get me wrong, they are separatists, but in all my years of following politics, I haven't seen anything like this. They always had the courtesy to call them either the Bloc or the BQ. They always called the leader Mr. whatever. Bouchard, Gauthier, Duceepe.

Now if this onslaught works in changing some members of the NDP and the Liberal caucuses minds, there is a distinct possibility that some of them could cross the floor to avoid this coalition from happening. Especially if they start to feel the pressure from their constituents.

Harper gets his Majority without having to go back to the polls and the Liberal and NDP parties are ruined, al a the PC party in 1993.

Harper only needs 12 MP's to defect from their parties. I think this is a real possibility. There will be alot of back room discussions going on over the next few days.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I don't really follow politics but keep some interests on it like whats happening now.... but anyway.. how is stephane dion going to run for pm when I swear after the last elections he was going to step down as the leader of the liberals?
Maybe I should pay more attention...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

That's not as far out there as you think:

Prime Minister Borden hoped that a coalition government consisting of Conservatives and Liberals would help overcome these growing divisions within the country on this issue. Wilfrid Laurier, then leader of the Liberal Party, was opposed to conscription; he refused to lead his party into a coalition with the Conservatives. Many English-speaking Liberals, however, disagreed with their leader and left the party to join Borden in a coalition commonly referred to as the “Union Government.” Ultimately, the Union Government was successful in wining the general election of 1917 and eventually pushing conscription through Parliament.

www.mapleleafweb.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I saw a news clip where they talked to Monsieur Duceppe and he said he was in it for the furtherence of his party. And he said ,after all, we are seperatists. That being said , I don't think the bloc are some evil party, it seems to me they were alright when they were the official opposition. I don't think a coalition can do that much damaga in 18 months.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Would they have to cross the floor or would they vote against a non confidence motion? Do they have to have a non confidence vote before they take this to the Governor General? By the way, just joined but have been on this site alot so Hello friends. I'm from N.B. Canada. Still the best country in the world! imo

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This was talked about before the elections even happened, people were forecasting what would happen and this was one of those forecasts, at least I know I was talking about it....

This is garbage, another stalling tactic until Obama gets into power, .. all smoke and mirrors, without the smoke or the mirrors.

Canadian and American politics are like strange bed fellows; secret meetings where weird and unusual things take place.

We the people are in for a bumpy year!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sheant143

They say that Stephenne would only be PM until the Liberals can elect a new leader. That's what they say but who knows, if he gets the job , he might like it. Now that is a scary thought.

top topics

join