It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "Fringe" question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Hello,

I am primarily an aircraft forum guy but have had my day in the 'X-Files' era and now 'Fringe'.

I have been lucky enough to see a few mind blowing things with my stunt in the Navy but I am not gullible to new ideas at all....however, since watching these shows I do have to ask if there is any basis in reality?

What I am mainly talking about is the latest story where they can manipulate solid objects with sound vibrations! I know that truth is stranger than fiction so there must have been some experiments done that had this as their foundation??

Anybody help with me with info on this topic??

Thanks, Peace,
Mondo

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I would have to research it, but I remember seeing a documentary where a bridge that had been built, I believe it was in the Norther US, had to be demolished before it was finished because vibrations made it too unstable. I did not see the latest episode of Fringe, but I know that manipulating objects with vibrations is based on fact.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I found it (was quite easily actually, just googledhere "bridge" and "vibration") here is a link to the story in question: www.vibrationdata.com.... It was in Tacoma in Washington State.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I tend to agree with you on this topic. Fringe deals with some very unusual subject matter. I know for a fact that UWB (Ultra Wide Band) can see a persons heartbeat through a wall, but matter penetrating other matter is a whole other ballgame. With technology what it is, it would not surprise me to find out its real. The question I have is.. how real is reality?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
On a website called "HowStuffWorks" you can find some good articles about sound vibration and levitation of objects:

Unless you travel into the vacuum of space, sound is all around you every day. But most of the time, you probably don't think of it as a physical presence. You hear sounds; you don't touch them. The only exceptions may be loud nightclubs, cars with window-rattling speakers and ultrasound machines that pulverize kidney stones. But even then, you most likely don't think of what you feel as sound itself, but as the vibrations that sound creates in other objects.

The idea that something so intangible can lift objects can seem unbelievable, but it's a real phenomenon. Acoustic levitation takes advantage of the properties of sound to cause solids, liquids and heavy gases to float. The process can take place in normal or reduced gravity. In other words, sound can levitate objects on Earth or in gas-filled enclosures in space.

Acoustic levitation allows small objects, like droplets of liquid, to float.

Further reading and more articles here:
science.howstuffworks.com...

(To ajmusicmedia: The vibrations in the bridge was caused by wind, not sound.)

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
sound waves can have a very real effect on matter in any state. The vibrations in the sound can effect the osilations in the atoms and molecules themselves. I have watched the first to episodes of fringe and cant wait to see the rest it is a great show.

video.google.com...

this video is of sound demonstrating its very real interaction with matter in the form of salt. Im sure most of you have seen this but i find it has relevance to this thread.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by constantwonder]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

OMG its gallopping girdy.

I still can't drive over bridges without having a panic attack because of that video.

People worry about whats on tv but its the real stuff that freaks me out. LOL

I watched that fringe episode last night. One of my new favorite shows.

Even if the technology isn't accessible now, it doesn't mean it won't be some day, like the transporter(which will be my favoriate all time invention ever, I hope they are working on it)

And sadly, we have to wait till Jan to see more of Fringe.

P.s. I think that the pschiatrist in charge of Walter and others reallyl works for massive dynamic, and helped supress their memories and ruin their minds so that massive dynamic can use their work. And that is how they knew where the lock boxes were.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Nickolas Tesla is supposedly to have taken an old steel bridge and started a vibrational pattern that shook it apart in a matter of minutes. I forget where I read that, perhaps in one of the few biographies written of him.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I'm sure everyone's familiar with the sound weapons the military can use that when directed at a person gives them a severe sense of naseua. If sound vibrations can cause this there has to be an "opposite" where sound could make someone feel good (other than Luther Vandross) and prehaps even heal.

And a favorite pyramid theory is the blocks where levitated and set in place by sound vibrations.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies so far! As I mentioned, I was a Navy guy for a while, and yeah I believe, actually I know, that truth is stranger than fiction.
I like the show and the fact that there are technologies based on real ideas and experiments.
I have read about a theory that the pyramids may have incorporated sound in the movement of stones???? Maybe a stretch here, but sometimes we try to make things much harder than they need to be, so maybe they did use a very simply but effective technique that we are just coming around to again!?

How though, is it possible to change a solid object at the molecular level? If it is, or were possible, wouldn't it also mean that by passing through that field, you would also be changed at the molecular level? Sort of Star Trek here and I know that I am no theoretical physicist, at least not by trade

But as said in the show, "You have violated the laws of physics....and Mother Nature is a Bitch!!!"

Peace,
Mondo

[edit on 4-12-2008 by Mondogiwa]

top topics

join