It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

besides me, who thinks hendrix was overrated??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
He wrote his own songs,kind of changed the way music was at the time,was magician on guitar,what more needs be said,he was an innovator

a lot of people did what you just described and his being a 'magician' is up for debate

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I tend to think Hendrix was overrated and over popularzised. And, I think this was to his defict and likely wasn't what he wanted to happen to the soul of his music. He played for himself. When people went fanshot over him he played for them. They are two different coins.

I think Santana is overrated musically, but I love the hell out of his philanthopy and attitude.

I don't really play anything. I just have an opinion.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish

edit*
here is a much better vid

www.youtube.com...

Never heard of him before. Thanks for the link!

He was never my favorite but I never thought Hendrix was overrated though. He had some of the greatest riffs ever.

Really there is no greatest of all time..., 'cept maybe Robert Johnson (with SRV a close second.) But, Hendrix should definitely be on any list of the greatest. Just ask all those 'greats' who covered his stuff.

Gonna go check out some more of those Bramhall vids at YouTube. Thanks again.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by Rren]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
No way Hendrix rocked man

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
As I've said before, there is no best, only favorites .Was Jimi the best technical player ever? No. Was he an innovator? Yes. Did he personally pioneer new territory. Yes. I feel he is overrated only in the modern technical sense.
Remember, he , like all of us , was a product of his times. Greatist ever? That's up to you. Best innovator/pioneer? I would agree with the latter.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
ok so what did he innovate?
feedback? thats about it. he was not the first to play lefty or the first to play with his teeth.

the more i think about it the more i think robert johnson should have the default top spot.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Zappa gets short shrift because his music was not as accessable as Hendrix's music was. Yeah he was phenomenal, but hired stunt guitarists to play his music in the band.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

You ever listen to Charlie Patton? The guy who taught Robert Johnson how to play guitar?

I do not think you should compare historical guitarists with modern ones.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Zappa gets short shrift because his music was not as accessable as Hendrix's music was. Yeah he was phenomenal, but hired stunt guitarists to play his music in the band.

he didn't hire stunt guitarists his entire. just in the early 80's..he had steve vai and mike keneally. i don't see what that has to do with anything though.

so they could play an 'impossible run' but could they go out there and sculpt a solo out of nothing 8 or 9 times a night, night after night?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish
ok so what did he innovate?
feedback? thats about it. he was not the first to play lefty or the first to play with his teeth.
I'd say his chords were generally innovative. His fingerings and use of open strings, cascading runs, etc. As a songwriter, "Little Wing" stacks up there among the "perfect" chord progressions. What he did in two and a half minutes has been covered by other bands on more than 30 commercially released albums. (Not talking bar-band covers, people actually putting his stuff out there on labels...)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

didn't he use Fm7 a lot? i think that is the 'hendrix chord'...i'd have to look on the wiki and don't feel like it right now. maybe F#m7

oh screw it

en.wikipedia.org...

In music, the dominant 7 # 9 chord, now known among guitarists[1] as the Hendrix chord

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Yes, he was hell of a guitarist and hell of a songwriter. The only point i don't like about Hendrix... he totally lacks of variety. If you know one of his records, you know the rest. Which doesn't mean you don't have to own 'Are You Experienced ?' and 'Electric Ladyland'

Best guitarists in my opinion still are Neil Young, David Crosby and Pete Townshend...

<< 1   >>

join