It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The disaster of "Magical Thinking."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
According to Wikipedia, "magical thinking is nonscientific causal reasoning that often includes such ideas as the ability of the mind to affect the physical world (see the philosophical problem of mental causation), correlation equaling causation, the law of contagion, the power of symbols, and the meaningfulness of synchronicity."

More at source:
en.wikipedia.org...

Magical thinking is EVERYWHERE in America. Look at the popular best-seller "The Secret," which tells us to think happy thoughts and avoid negativity. It can be seen in our politicians, like the neocons who proudly say they are not part of the "reality-based community" and rely on prayer and denial. It can be seen in our economy, where those of us who have been warning for years about the currently-unfolding crisis were castigated as "chicken littles" or "crackpots." The default move was to think happy thoughts and rack up another credit-card purchase. If your debt disturbs you, simply stop thinking about it and charge another latte! It can be seen in our schools, where real standards and useful knowledge are replaced by cheery little mantras like "you can do anything if you put your mind to it." It can be seen in culture, where looking like a million bucks becomes more important than actually having a month's paycheck worth of savings in the bank.

Magical thinking has always been part of America ("The American Dream") and a positive attitude is not always bad. But at the same time, when "don't worry, be happy" replaces critical reasoning and cold appraisals of the truth, it cannot lead to anything but ruin. Magical thinking has skyrocketed in recent years on every level. Will it continue to narcotize us and make us helpless to ward off doom, or are we finally waking up from our long slumber of idiocy?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Got a little confused here.
I would not admit that Magic and Ignorance equals each other. Nor Magic and Greed.

Maybe it is just the choice of expression that confuse me.

Everyone who knows somehing is familiar with that
"Demonic Magic is the Key to the Twilight Kingdom"
/Abigor- Nachthymnen

Just kidding...a little.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
There is a big difference between "magic" and "magical thinking."

Read the wikipedia link in the first post. Don't get too caught up in semantics.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Sorry bout that, I just glanced through it...hehe, how igonrant of me.

But I do see your point. And I am, just as many others, baffeled with how people who should be highly educated make such lousy decicsions. Decisions that affect our lives. It is greedy, cynical, cold and selfish to an almost demonic level.

I must admit, however, that I do believe in the fact that the more you focus on positive thoughts, the positive energies of the universe will focus on you, and vice versa. If you wallow in negativity, only bad things will happen to you.

But this no excuse to keep sustaining the life of a system that obviously just wants to lay down and die. The illusion has been shattered and trying to keep it alive is to furthur prolong the torment.
Live and let die...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I am proof you can do anything you set your mind to.

Everything IS mind over matter.
It seems as though everyone is out to shut down positive ideas.
Why must we live in a world of such negative ideas.
Everything does, in fact, happen for a reason.
I have proof of that in my pocket.
But since everyone on this board is so critical anyways,
it would be no use showing it in the first place.
Time is non-existant, this infinite loop of what we call reality,
has already happened before.
Deja vu is one of the few phenomenons that occur to
remind us we're just a historical replay.
There is no such thing as "magic" or "witch-craft"
there are, on the other hand, forces at work in which we have no control over.

Think of it this way, scientists have figured there are about 11 dimensions.
If we merely live on the 3rd one, then what about the other 8?
We think of the mysteries in this dimension but what of the ones in the next?
Living in a "third" dimension, why then, would the number three be of
importance to us? The Egyptians supposedly constructed their
pyramids with the concept of 3 in mind.
Before thinking everything you read on Wikipedia is the truth,
maybe you should do other research on other sites?
I have learned most of what I know today through experience outside
of the internet.

There are some things you can't learn through the internet, for, they are
experiences that words cannot be brought upon to describe.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The thing is, you can 'think' magically, -- but if you dont really 'feel' it, then no amount of magical thinking is ever going to do anything....

I agree with anonymous Ats....

the intenet is becoming like television....there are other ways to learn, but you just have to know how to look, and how to see with different eyes, its all there,,,,

everything is set up to stop us from seeing, and waking up, -- just as long as you accept that, and keep trucking on regardless, nothing should really surprise you too much,

....the magic is always there even in the darkest times,...

[edit on

new topics

top topics

join