It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP's Chambliss wins Senate runoff

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Come on Mods... surely the OP counts as political baiting...

Leave it out Democrats. You won almost everything else... Aren't you supposed to be supportive of democracy? The people have spoken.

A serious post could be warranted, but I think the "Waaaahmbulance" joke by sos37 sums it up with brevity and hilarity

[edit on 4-12-2008 by 44soulslayer]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Somehow I don't think your post would be the same if the winner were a Democrat and the video concerned a Democratic winner.

That shows how wrong your judgment of me is. I have laughed my butt off at Democrats, too. I am NOT a Democrat. I have voted for Republicans and Independents, too.

Funny Obama
Jib Jab Obama

Look, I know it was a grandfatherly hug. I know there was nothing unseemly about it. It was just a funny (to me) accident. It was like a wardrobe malfunction or Chris Matthews on Ellen.

My post wasn't even political. It was humorous (to some)

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
A reminder to keep all posts on topic. Do not remark on other posters.

And remain civil please.

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GamerGal

Except the majority of GOP voted for it. Bush called for it. McCain suspended his campaign for it. The GOP did every thing they could including releasing attack ads attacking Obama and the Dems for not supporting it.
* bold emphasis mine

Slightly off-topic, but just to clarify...

The crucial vote was 263-171, passing by a comfortable bipartisan margin. Most Democrats voted in favor (172 yeas to 63 nays), while a slighter majority of Republicans voted against (91 yeas to 108 nays). Every member of the House voted.

Seems you Are wrong on both counts, and perhaps that is what others have been trying to draw your attention to.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

Except Bush, a Republican, called for it. The GOP Treasury Wrote it up, McCain, the GOP Nomination for President made attack ads attacking the Dems for not supporting it, and the majority of GOP voted for it.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Annie Mossity

Then why did the GOP release ads attacking the Dems for not supporting it, AND Bush, a Republican President, called for it, McCain, a Republican Senator, Voted for it and suspended his campaign to make sure others did, AND the bill was written up by Republicans, AND the majority of Republicans voted for it.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GamerGal

How freaking stubborn can you get?

This is an official governmental record of the vote:

clerk.house.gov...

The majority of Republicans voted AGAINST the bailout.

I dont hold much hope for your intellectual ability, but do you know who this is:

uk.youtube.com...

Its Nancy Pelosi, House majority leader... ie a Democrat- who most vehemently supported the bill.

Bush isnt a true conservative and neither was McCain, so what they wanted is immaterial.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Oops, once again... Wait, didn't you know? Bush, McCain, the GOP, The Treasury Department, all Republican. Or did we forget that part? "Leaders of both parties said they were optimistic that they would be able to marshal more support for the Bush administration's $700 billion bailout " www.washingtonpost.com.../components BOTH PARTIES! Or are there more then just the Dems and the Reps? And I love how you ignore Bush, McCain, the Treasury Dept. and the GOP passing this. How else did it pass? It needed the GOP to vote for it, and vote for it they did. You claim it didn't pass, but oops, it did! And how? With the GOP, and BUSH Signing it. Without Bush and the GOP and McCain suspending his campaign, and releasing attack ads against the Dems, no passing. Amazing how short term memory can affect some people. It doesn't affect me though. I won't forget McCain cancelling interviews in New York, suspending his campaign, to go to D.C. and get it passed, with help from Bush and the rest of the GOP. "President Bush signed a $700 billion financial bailout package Friday, shortly after the U.S. House passed the rescue measure, in a vote of 263-171." www.npr.org... And look at that! The GOP voted for it, BUSH signed it into law! Without the GOP and Bush, no bailout. But let's ignore Bush's call for a bailout, his treasury department and the GOP writing up the bill, Republican's coming together, leaving the campaign trail, to pass it.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I cant be bothered with this.

Go and learn how to read...

Democratic Yea 140 Nay 95
Republican Yea 65 Nay 133

Do you understand that 133 is a bigger number than 65?

Go ahead, believe what you want to believe. Its rather distressing that you have a say on which man can occupy the highest political office on earth when you don't even know the fundamental concepts of numbers and logic.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   

And can you read how THE PRESIDENT and the Presidential Nominee and the Republican Treasury and the Republicans in the Senate and the Republicans in the House voted for it? 65 in the house, the majority in the Senate. If no Republicans voted for it you'd have an arguement. But nope, the Executive Branch wanted it, called for it, said pass it or America dies. The Senate and the House voted yay on it. Without them, no bailout. But keep ignoring them, keep ignoring the GOP voting for it. Also, Majority of the Senate Republicans, the Majority! And 65 House Members, not 0, not none, 65. So once again, GOP voted for it.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by GamerGal]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   

What the hell kind of retarded logic is that.

Democracy works on majority determination. I mean if you can't grasp that concept then why even bother debating things?

What a crass generalization...

How is condemning all republicans as "supporting the bailout" on the basis of a MINORITY voting for it (ie 65) any different from saying all black people are criminals based on one black guy committing a crime?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

And you still ignore THE FREAKING PRESIDENT! And the Senate, and the 65 GOP who voted for it. How can you ignore the GOP voting for it? How can you ignore your President, your Senators, and your Reps voting for it?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Lol Im British, those guys have nothing to do with me.

As I said, Bush and McCain aren't real conservatives.

Bush was trying to save his own arse; McCain was trying to get the bailout over and done with in the hope that people would stop talking about the economy.

The fact that some GOP members voted for the bill doesnt mean jack. The party spoke clearly, and those facts are reflected in the numbers.

Ill concede that the senate republicans voted for it- probably swayed by some sort of incentives etc.

Overall the Republican party was against this move. Now hear this:

The ordinary rank and file members of the GOP are the real republican party. Those who wrote in to their congressmen asking them to vote down the bill are the real republican party.

The Democrats did jack all. At least the House Repubs voted it down once.

Stop trying to defer the blame onto the GOP. The bill came directly from Bush. I know why you are trying to demonise the GOP... because once Bush leaves, you will no longer have a scapegoat for everything and you will have to face up to the cold hard reality that it has been the Democrat party who have been in charge of the levers of power for the last two years.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Because it falls on the GOP! They held the power. They held the steering wheel of the car as it went over the cliff. They sully Ron Paul's reputation every time they destroy another part of America. Ron Paul knows he can't leave the party or else he won't be elected in the state of Texas and then he'll be powerless.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

BS.

Bush has been a lame duck president in 2006.

Power in both the Senate and the House was with the Democrats.

Bush may have been holding the steering wheel, but the Dems' feet were on the accelerator and brake pedals. They could have chosen to brake, but instead they floored it.

And you said it yourself... Ron Paul was the greatest opponent of the bailout. Ron Paul - a minimal interventionist, libertarian Republican! Compare that to the arch-democrat Pelosi who tried to bend the House GOPs over and shaft them with the bailout bill.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Power how? They couldn't pass anything because... Bush vetoed it! Bush Vetoed every thing after not vetoing anything for 6 years. So he drove, and pushed the accelerator at the same time. When ever a cross guard tried to stop him he ran them over.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Im trying to stay true to the promise made in my avatar so I wont launch a stinging retort...

All I will say is that take a good hard look at the political machinery of the USA in total. Analyse it impartially. There is no use being partisan.

In my opinion, blame for passing the bailout lies with:

1. Bush

2. Paulson and Bernanke

3. Pelosi and Reid

4. All those who voted for the bill the first time around; and especially those who succombed to pork and changed their vote for the second bill.

Democrats and Republicans, both were responsible for bringing the bailout into effect; and the Dems more so since their majority allowed them to make a decision.

Only a true conservative like Ron Paul is free of guilt.

Don't worry though. When the automakers bailout comes into congress and is pushed forth by the Dems no doubt you will find some way of woefully ignoring reality and blaming that too on the Republicans while leaving the Dems scot free.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
can someone please ban this person. she hates facts and her only reality is her own. it is embarassment to this site that is supposed to deny ignorance

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

I dont think theres any need to ban her...

I just cant figure out whether she is finding it difficult to grasp the concepts or if she is partisan to the point where reality doesn't make a difference.

Nonetheless, neither warrant a ban.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Since this is a thread about Saxby Chambliss winning his Senate seat...

I just want to take the time to thank Sarah Palin for doing her part in helping Chambliss retain this seat for Republicans.

I also want to thank Ludacris for securing the defeat of the Democrat!

Saxby Chambliss has come to his senses, after his disasterous vote for the bailout...Now the rest of the Republicans need to do the same!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join