It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4000 Australian children under 10 prescribed antidepressants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

4000 Australian children under 10 prescribed antidepressants

www.news.com.au

UNPUBLISHED figures show nearly 4000 children under 10 were prescribed antidepressants last financial year, including 553 children under five and 48 babies.

The Australian reports the Commonwealth Department of Health statistics give an alarming, although most likely conservative, age-by-age breakdown of the national use of antidepressants.

However, leading pediatricians and psychiatrists can offer no reason why infants would be given the drugs. Depression expert Gordon Parker said the numbers were "beyond comprehension" and urged the Federal Government to ask doctors responsible for supplying scripts for young children to justify their actions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Oh look my baby is 'sad' i reckon it should be cheered up with a pill!

my question is what kind of parents would allow their kids (let alone babies) to be on anti-depressants. and more so, what kind of doctors are out there handing these things out? last i checked, ADD /ADHD meds had serious implications, and now giving something way more stronger to babies??? Isn't anti-depressant's the same category of meds which are widely criticised because they increase the risk of 'self harm' in patients?

i wonder if this practice is taking place in other countries as well.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Ya in today's world, everything can be fixed with a pill. Unfortunately, in the real world, that isnt the case.

But of course all the drug companies will tell you otherwise because that is how they make their living...selling pills.

And the doctors that say you or your child needs a pill..also makes their living on telling you that you or your child needs a pill.

Neat..isnt it!!

Cheers!!!!

join