It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subject Matter Expert

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
There are many members here with the lable of "Subject Matter Expert"

Some here are very informative and some others are just as crazy as the rest of us.

There are many forums here and members may post in any forum they see fit. When "those" members post in a certain forum, it makes them look as if they are an "expert" in that forum Just because a member with that label doesn't neccessarily make them an expert in EVERY forum.

I feel labels should be changed to express what "expertise" or genre they have "expertise" in.

I find it very hard for anyone here to be an "expert" (I use that term loosely) in the following forums

Breaking Alternative NewsAliens & UFOsWar On TerrorismGeneral Conspiracy Discussion9/11 ConspiraciesOther Current EventsParanormal StudiesATS Skunk WorksConspiracies in ReligionsSecret SocietiesPolitical ConspiraciesWeaponryScience & TechnologyAircraft ProjectsNew World OrderSpace ExplorationRegional PoliticsFragile EarthAncient & Lost CivilizationsPredictions & PropheciesCryptozoology and Mythical BeastsMedical Issues & ConspiraciesBreaking Political NewsDecision 2008The Gray AreaPolitical IdeologyPolitical IssuesMilitary & Government ProjectsOrigins & Creationism ConspiracyEducation & MediaArea 51 and other FacilitiesSurvivalGlobal MeltdownPsychology, Philosophy and MetaphysicsAbove PoliticsDeconstructing Disinformation & DeflectionPeak OilPoliticians & PeopleMember PODcastsKatrina Conspiracies DiscussionATS MIX: InformationH5N1 Avian Flu IssuesMultimedia Uploads & Other ResourcesATS MIX: ShowsPopular Alternative TheoristsATS MIX: GuestsATS MIX: StudioThe Bully PulpitScott CreightonFOIA DocumentsThe View From MarrsFOIA Working ForumVideo

I think you get my point.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Thethingthatwouldntleave

If you click on the "subject matter expert" tag in the avatar it will link you to the forum that that member is an FSME.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well how do you like that!

Look how less ignorant I am today!

I'm still ignorant though.

I've got a long way to go!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The first step to becoming an expert is knowing and admitting you dont know anything.

It would be interesting to see how many are ready to admit that. And we have one in this thread who has. Your on your way to knowledge my friend!!

I too am no expert!! And I learn every single day. There is no limit to learning. And there is no definative line that declares anyone to be an expert because even an expert will run into something they know nothing about!!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I will rephrase a little.

Creditials would be nice.

Without them it's just an experianced opinion. Or a very opinionated opinion. Far from making anyone an expert!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

A lot of us would be more than happy to provide our credentials, but alas, there's a space limit!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Forum Subject Matter Experts are members that have been selected to serve as facilitators of positive and intelligent discussion within their designated forum. Some FSME's are highly intelligent professionals in their given field, while others are simply proven members who have shown their worth and proven to the staff that they can be a tremendous help in furthering great discussion.

FSME's are afforded the opportunity to applaud excellent contributions from members as well, within their designated forum.

How do you become one?

By posting excellent contributions to the board and being a positive member to the board. FSME's are invited, so it is not something you contact someone and ask for.

chissler

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Just because you show your worth in a positive and constructive manner does not make one an expert.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at.
ATS considers certain members as FSME and designate them accordingly.
No one is forcing you or anyone else to accept them as such if you/they don't want to.

And I have yet to run into one who is not humble about their level of expertise.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
[edit on 12/3/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Howdy,

Most FSME's have an introduction in thier particular forum sticked to the top. Some do indicate a background area of experience etc.

Just click on the FSME badge and check out the topic list.

On the other hand lack of a formal education or "credentials" does not mean someone is precluded as an expert either.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Hey, thanks, I alwayss wonderd that too.

I always thought it was awarded on the basis of participation in special research projects, or perhaps Tin Wiki contributuins.

Whadya know, I learned.

I would like to be a SME about germs and infectious diseases. I'm not a professional but i like to study that as a hobby, and often find myself handing out "germ advice."

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I'd be happy to discuss that topic with you. I lecture to MDs on Hepatitis frequently and have a slide show on all the types that I've been using since the mid-1990s.

I'm certified by the College of American Pathologists (have been since the early 90s). I've been a scientist, and lecturer in Transfusion Medicine for 25 years.

Start a thread in the Medical Issues forum and I'll join in.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Very nice. I have u2ued you.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

An "expert" is someone widely recognized as a reliable source of technique or skill whose faculty for judging or deciding rightly, justly, or wisely is accorded authority and status by their peers or the public in a specific well distinguished domain. An expert, more generally, is a person with extensive knowledge or ability in a particular area of study. Experts are called in for advice on their respective subject, but they do not always agree on the particulars of a field of study. An expert can be, by virtue of training, education, profession, publication or experience, believed to have special knowledge of a subject beyond that of the average person, sufficient that others may officially (and legally) rely upon the individual's opinion.

Wiki

A person with extensive knowledge or ability in a given subject.

So you see, nowhere in the definition it says an Expert must have at least a Phd degree or 97.56 years experience in a field. It's more about understanding the topic, interest and broad knowledge. And if you take a look at the FSMEs here on ATS you'll notice that there aren't that many of them. I can assure you the title isn't handed out left and right.

A person may be an expert by measure of the definition, but the person may not have the demeanour to work in a positive manner with fellow ATS members. Other "experts" may have the vast knowledge but lack the ability to communicate their thoughts well (although this is a minor "qualification").

I'd like to point out one part again: "They do not always agree on the particulars of a field of study", that means that two experts disagree.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Is a "Jack of all trades, master of none" tag available?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
So you see, nowhere in the definition it says an Expert must have at least a Phd degree or 97.56 years experience in a field.

So if you re-read, nowhere did I say this must have to be a qualification.

The original question was answered in the first post.

I didn't point out any names!

It seems by your almost defensive post, you question you own expertise. So does that make you an expert that you can quote wiki?

Kinda seemed like this was going in a positive manner.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Thethingthatwouldntleave]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yes. It's called "ATS Member". You should have one underneath your name in your mini profile.

J/K

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   

My response was more to this post:

Originally posted by Thethingthatwouldntleave
Just because you show your worth in a positive and constructive manner does not make one an expert.

It's midway through the thread and gave the impression that you weren't completely satisfied with the answers. My post was neither offensive, defensive, subjective, objective nor any other operative you can think off. It was made as a staff member, and has nothing to do with my FSME status. It was to state in general terms what is considered an expert, and in addition what may we be looking at here on ATS.

So, are you satisfied about the FSME tag on ATS and what it pertains?

Edit: Removed extra word.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Well, in kind of goes hand in hand with the "Conspiracy Master Forum" that was done away with. How can one be a "Master" of something that may or may not exist.

How about replacing that with a "FSME" introduction forum where newer members can get associated with "experts" to better understand their knowledge on particular subjects, so they can understand that the "experts" may know what they are talking about instead of "may or may not".

A lot about a person is lost in general text.

I have to go to sleep.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Thethingthatwouldntleave]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join