It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Alert System* Tell what weird possible Earthquake Animal, Sky or Water behavior is happening -

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Here is something else interesting.
Take a look at this interactive earthquake safety quiz

Its from a news station in the NW.

See how much you know!!!! HAVE FUN AND LEARN!!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Cairowoman

Never thought of canned vegetable, learn something knew every day. And the flat tire while driving was funny. When the last one hit here thats exactly what a lady who pulled into the parking lot said. "I think i have a flat tire" Nooo it was an earthquake.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by anotherdad

Never thought of canned vegetable, learn something knew every day. And the flat tire while driving was funny. When the last one hit here thats exactly what a lady who pulled into the parking lot said. "I think i have a flat tire" Nooo it was an earthquake.

I totally failed that thing. My friend from St. Louis sent me that after the quake earlier this year.

I am doomed!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

The quiz gives the wrong answers. It conflicts with the Triangle of Life article. Please take the time to read the article. It could save your life.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aislin

The quiz gives the wrong answers. It conflicts with the Triangle of Life article. Please take the time to read the article. It could save your life.

Did you see the snopes.com analysis from a prior poster...Triangle of life is wrong.

This is from MSM. Research the BELO corporation. Not that it makes it more credible...its just more credible than a guy who is accused of self promotion and making money off 9/11...

[edit on 4-12-2008 by Cairowoman]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by VelmaLu
I am posting a summary of potential precursors to an earthquake, based on observations by locals as well as legends, so take it with a grain of salt.

ANIMALS
Cats run away
Dogs howl, won't eat
Chickens cluck at night
Chickens fly onto roofs
Cows attempt to escape
Pigs root at a fence, snap at each other
Rats and birds seen in large numbers as if migrating
Snakes and frogs seen in winter
Fish seen on the surface of water
Aquarium fish burrow into the sand
Fish seen all pointing in the same direction
Goldfish leap out of their bowls
Fish making sounds, like crying
Violently thrashing catfish
Tortoises active in winter
Octopi seen at the surface of the ocean
Sea crabs go ashore
Dragonflies swarm in the same direction
Bees swarm out of their hives
Centipedes found dead
Earthworms active in winter
Sea gulls fly inland in huge numbers
Parakeets die

CLOUDS AND FOG (usually associated with very large earthquakes)
Fog as if a cloud close to the ground
Fog in good weather at the base of a mountain
Black-striped dragon-shaped horizontal cloud
Snake shaped clouds surrounding the sun in the morning
Strange clouds with no wind or rain close to the ground
Three days of clouds without rain
Stars said to "be close"
Localized, dense fog (epicenter of a quake) with clear weather around it
Sudden fog
Sudden change in atmospheric temperature
Strange appearance of the sky, yellow sky in early morning and red sky in the evening
Windless evening with high humidity and red sky
Halo around the Sun or Moon
Red Mood
Short vertical rainbow between two mountains
Scenery looks blurry

WEATHER
Hot humid weather
Wind blows up from the ground
No wind or clouds after an earthquake indicates aftershocks to be expected
Soil dries unusually quick

WATER
Water changes in temperature, level or turbidity
Well water becomes cloudy for more than a week
Increase or drop in the level of a well
Hot springs turn white
River or streams reverse
Sudden tidal withdrawal
Red seas

SOUNDS
Low frequency sounds emanating from the earth
Loud bangs like an explosion

PLANTS
Plants flower out of season
Early sprouting, early blooming, re-blooming
Fruit trees re-bloom
Leaf tips become pale yellow, white or have striped yellow horizontal lines

OTHER ANOMALIES
Magnets no longer working
Water not coming to a boil
Compass irregularities
Noise over the radio
Radios and clocks not working properly, lights dim
Electronics not functioning properly
Barometers behaving erratically

WOW thank you for such wonderful information!
I think I can say for everyone - we appreciate such great information.

Everyone (almost everyone) has been providing great information and constructive post that I believe we can learn from and maybe even convience people in the areas to head out for a few days next week.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Here is my quake related observation to add.
Monday all day my senior dog was hiding and shaking under my desk like she does during storms. But there were no storms and no fireworks and not even any loud work crews in the area. It really worried me that she might have been having seizures, but she has not done it since.

I started reading this thread tonight and was clicking on links and saw that there was in fact a small earthquake in oklahoma city, about 100 miles from our home, on monday.

It was much too small for us to feel it that far away, but she can sense storms coming from halfway across the state, so I would not be suprised if some sort of weirdness or rumblings or who knows what affected her on monday.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I don't know about that, if you think about it, it makes sense, that the safest place is actually next to something instead of under it.

Look at pictures from quakes, things are always smashed down - it is the voids next to those people survive in.

As far as snopes, I don't think they are always right. It is a husband and wife who run that out of their home.

So I will take expert's opinions instead of theirs.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by questioningall]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

I don't know about that, if you think about it, it makes sense, that the safest place is actually next to something instead of under it.

Look at pictures from quakes, things are always smashed down - it is the voids next to those people survive in.

As far as snopes, I don't think they are always right. It is a husband and wife who run that out of their home.

Well who says he is an "expert"......LOOKS LIKE THE AMERICAN RED CROSS and FEMA pretty much agrees with my source. And at least we KNOW that they have actual experience with them....

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

haha, FEMA..oh they love to help dont they?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm sorry this has taken so much room away from the main topic...Can a moderator move this to another place along with the replies? Thanks...

I have to admit that I forgot to link that so let me dig it up....

Where to be during anearthquake---important info Remember that stuff about hiding under a table or standing in a doorway?? Well, this guy has a completely reverse opinion.This is very interesting, different from what we were all taught. Is this ever an eye opener. Directly opposite of what we've been taught over the years! I can remember in school being told to, 'duck and cover' or stand in a doorway during an earthquake. This guy's findings is absolutely amazing. I hope we all remember his survival method if we are ever in an earthquake!!! Please read this and pass the info along to your family members; it could save their lives someday! EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE: 'TRIANGLE OF LIFE' - that space between objects that can save your life.

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake. I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a member of many rescue teams from many countries. I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years. I have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous disasters. The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake.

www.twine.com...

Here is the snopes article as well....

www.snopes.com...

[edit on 4-12-2008 by schiass]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I'm not a member but read on the forum every night. There are so many threads and so much information so I don't understand why a very few people would be so offended by what is being attempted here. If I see a thread that I think is bogus or I don't agree with then I just move to the next. If you think this is all bull why waste time here?? Of course, I mean this with the upmost respect. Time is too short to intentionally argue over things you have control over.

I for one am divided on the webbot thing but find all of this fascinating. If it happens we have all been part of something and if it doesn't...oh well.
Thanks for starting this....great thread...very informative with all the links. It's not like we'll be leaving without learning something.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I just remembered something that my husband and I saw the other day, it may be nothing, but it was strange to me. We were on our way home a few days ago and I was laughing at the sight of 3 cats laying on the roof of a neighbors house. I had never seen that before. They were laying up there all in a neat little row watching us as we drove by.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cairowoman
Did you see the snopes.com analysis from a prior poster...Triangle of life is wrong.
[edit on 4-12-2008 by Cairowoman]

I don't think it's wrong. It makes a lot of sense.

You, of course, should do what you think makes sense.

People should read all the info they can find on earthquake safety and then make a decision that seems right to them.

FEMA? I don't have a lot of confidence in that organization.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

While I appreciate the premise of this thread (gathering of a specific type of information and hypothesizing as to whether said information works as an indicator re: 'quake location), I have grave concerns regarding whether it's the correct thread for discussing life-saving measures that one should take in the event of an actual earthquake.

Whether or not Doug Copp's "Triangle of Life" works effectively in ALL situations, I feel that the merits of those who reference the snopes.com article shouldn't be thrust aside solely because they're from a "husband/wife who run [the site] out of their home" or b/c the snopes.com article disputes Copp's "Triangle" theory. Besides snopes.com substantiating their article with information from FEMA/American Red Cross, deeming Copp the "expert" b/c he claims to have field-experience versus the non-expert @ home/internet snopes.com team strikes me as particularly anachronistic. No offense to anyone here, but how much of the "research" done regarding earthquakes, water-drop offs, etc. have been done by people outside of their homes? The internet's a vast trove of information, and Cairowoman as well as the original snopes.com poster were correct (again, in my opinion) for calling Copp's credentials into question as well as his "Triangle" theory.

At the least, I suggest both the American Red Cross/FEMA's traditional theories (stand in doorway or take cover under a desk to avoid falling debris) be set forth alongside Copp's "Triangle" (shelter next to sofa or bed as the cushioning materials of either will absorb impact of blow from roof collapse and form a "triangle" of space around you). A brief search led to this article: experts in opposition to Copp cite the latter's failure to take into account the disparity between building codes in 3rd World/developing countries versus the more stringent codes of the US/Canada/etc. The comments section of the piece has a fair amount of back and forth that lends much to the main discussion and essentially advocates that each person choose one plan or the other, but make a choice prior to the actual event. (Of course, each side thinks s/he/they have the correct way, but people should read/research/make an informed opinion based on their own interpretation of the arguments' merits).

As long as people can agree to disagree as to the nature of Copp's versus FEMA/ARC expertise and both theories are put forth for members/posters to peruse, we can avoid the potential of lost life in the event of an earthquake. I can't imagine I speak only for myself in saying that I've learned a fair amount reading this thread, am appreciative it's here on ATS and had no idea what to do during/after a quake until reading here.

Full disclosure: I basically put zero stock in FEMA as an organization and as a result, question everything they say in guidelines, etc. This comes from growing up in a hurricane prone area of the US and having seen Ike's devastation first-hand (coupled with FEMA's inept response). However, I put more stock in the safety suggestions of FEMA/ARC in light of the US building codes (vs. 3rd World, et al.), especially considering the ongoing investigation into the possible fraudulent nature of Copp's 9/11 claims.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by bulgari20]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Thaught your thread may like this.

www.youtube.com...

I hope it has not been posted.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
ill add this to the thread.

i live in se iowa. the small quake on the new madrid fault that happened earlier this year was felt by many in this area and even woke people up.
the week or two before the earthquake my dog crapped on the floor a couple diffent nights. i havent had this problem with her since she was a puppy. that would be a two year time span.

after the quake i started thinking she knew something was happening that us humans couldnt detect and maybe the comming earthquake scared the # out of her.

if she craps on the living room floor anytime soon, ill be sure to reply asap.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by elitegamer23]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Memphis Tn 12-04-08 beginning last Sunday 11-30-08, My 140 lb Rottweiler has been acting very strange. We always walk around a park near our home, and always has been nice for us both a 1 mile walk. Sunday he began looking up.. then back towards home, and resisting more and more as we walked. Looking up like talking to someone up there, and then back towards home. then resisting going any futher. He kept looking back, and then looking straight up over and over. Sitting down so I couldnt make him go any further. then I said "Lets go home" at which he really began to pull on the leash looking up and back toward home. Got home and he ran to find the wife, then all through the house, finally calming down, but still looking from time to time up. We tried to walk Mon, Tue,Wed and Thurs, same actions each day. He has always been a great Walking Buddy for 3 years, and all this activity by him is totally foreign. Cant find any Medical prob, so What does he know that I dont..

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Also remember for those a little concerned/scared heres a 6.8

www.youtube.com...

Yes concerning during but all ended well.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Just curious....

What are the chances of warning tremors? I know that they may not happen, but has anyone felt any slight tremors?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join