It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay marriage: Right or privilege?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well I just thought I would get the opinions of ATS. Is gay marriage a right or a privilege? I have heard fairly compelling arguments for each side, and was hoping to start a dialogue and see where people's opinions differ on this matter. I will ask that responses are well thought out, and that we try to avoid the inevitable Christians vs. homosexual rants. Don't just say right or privilege, state how you came to your conclusion.

A little disclaimer before I am called intolerant:

Despite the red hue of my neck and conservative nature, I actually think that homosexuals should be allowed to be married. It is none of my business what people want to do as long as it hurts no one.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Modern Marriage is nothing more than a contract. No matter where you're married you have to get a Marriage License, issued by the state. It doesn't matter if it's being presided over by a judge/priest. But no matter what, divorce always ends up in front of a judge. If people want to claim there union, no matter there sexuality, the state should not limit that. Nor should they limit the benefits or incentives of marriage to sexuality(insurance, tax's etc..)

It's as archaic as the state of Virginia, and others, not recognizing the marriage between a white and black person in the 60's.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2-12-2008 by djpaec]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have to agree. Whatever the reason why a person decides/is born a homosexual, they have the right to marry just as I do in a hetrosexual relationship.

The Constitution protects our Rights and, lets face it, a same sex marrage does not affect our life at all.

Shoot... If there can be a Constitutionally protected Church of Satan, how can we say that homosexuality is over the line?

And to quote one of the best lines in a movie: "Don't be so suburban. It's the new mellenium now. Gay- straight. There are no more lines..."
Jay and Silent Bob

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
"Marriage" is an agreement between two people. The only reason it's a govt issue is due to tax breaks and the like. Since those are covered under Civil Unions how about we let the issue drop everyone is so blasted sick of it. If every gay couple in the U.S. got a civil union and then went on in life telling everyone they are "married" what's the difference?

My opinion: Marriage = privilege
Civil Union = right

That goes for both gay and straight. We could completely can marriage and only go with civil unions for everyone for all I care.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The tax breaks are for the classification of families and the rearing of children. But to consider oneself a family is a right. Do only heterosexual couples that produce children receive those breaks? And aside from the differing laws from state to state, homosexual couples often raise their own children, or adopt. It is a right people have, not a privilege.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Marriage is no business of anyones other than the parties to be "married."

Marry whoever or whatever the hell you want.

If it werent for the wholly oppressive and enslaving taxation we all live under government wouldnt care one bit.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
People take life way too seriously. These anti gay marriage people might cry for about 10 seconds if it passed nation wide, but on the alternative you have a couple that for a lifetime won't be able to feel "legitimate". Does it really matter? I can't imagine that it would have that great of an effect if gays were allowed to marry on anyone other than their own group. Which is why most sensible people don't care really either way, but considering it would make this group happy they are pro gay marriage.

Civil unions should be a federal right for all people. Marriage should not be a right because it belongs to the Church, basically a club as far as the government should be concerned. The club can deem its members any way it wants to, that's a fact. But this club status has nothing and should have nothing to do with the state or federal government. The reason this is such a hairy debate for some is because you wrongfully have this club status as something that is more than just a title; it actually affects peoples' lives. You can't see your partner in the hospital unless you are married, so gays miss out on that. You miss out on tax breaks, ect. This club status, AKA marriage, should have no place within our government and civil unions should be the only title given out by the government. Problem solved. Next.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
marriage is a privilege, clearly. it is a recognition of the relationship between two people by the state, as a function of the people, or a church, as a function of the congregation.

attaching the idea of rights to something like marriage opens a big can of worms that should probably remain closed.

weather it should be extended to homosexuals or not, personally i see no reason to limit the misery to straight people, although i would then require gay couples that wish to adopt to be married. (i would also wish this of anyone who wishes to adopt.)

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Marriage is a privilege regardless of your sexual orientation. Over the years the actual act of marriage has become so casual that it almost means nothing anymore. Hollywood celebrities treat marriage like a boring hobby. To them it is just a piece of paper and 6 months down the road they will just move on to someone else.

Marriage is a lifetime commitment to someone that you love and respect. Sometimes marriages fail after 30 years or after 3 days (Britney Spears).

The bottom line is simple, treat marriage like the privilege that it is. Take it seriously regardless if you are gay or straight. A right is my guarantee to vote not be married.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Just want to thank the last two posters for actually answering the question. As stated, I want to know if people think gay marriage is a right or a privilege.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Sorry for not explicitley stating my opinion(I thought bringing up an important Civil Rights case made it obvious). Just as American-Africans, have the right not to be segregated, or mary whomever they choose no matter what hue of brown they are. Marriage for everyone who wants there union, between two people(none of this polygamy, animal business), recognized by the state with the same benefits and rights that come with any 'normal' marriage. Would be a 'right' not a 'privelage'.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by djpaec

I wasn't actually referring to your post. I thought what you said made your point fairly obvious
. Thank you for elaborating though, well thought.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The issue of gay marriage has been discussed many times on ATS. Please do a search on the topic and add your thoughts to one of the many existing threads.

Thank You.

Thread Closed.

new topics

top topics

join