It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen shows up bruised, chained at Calif. gym

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Police are questioning a couple after a bruised and half-naked 17-year-old boy showed up at a gym Monday with a chain locked to his ankle, claiming he had just fled his captors, authorities said.

Matt Robinson, a spokesman for Tracy police, said authorities believe the teen was held against his will in Tracy _ a city about 60 miles east of San Francisco _ after he ran away from a Sacramento foster home in 2007.

Robinson said authorities are questioning a couple in their 30s, but that they have not been arrested or charged.

He said the emaciated boy was confused when first approached by detectives, unsure where he had come from and how long he was being held against his will.

"The wounds he had and his physical condition as well as having a chain around his leg corroborated his basic statement that he was being held against his will," Robinson said.

Chuck Ellis, a manager of the In-Shape Sports Club in Tracy, said the boy came into the fitness center Monday afternoon wearing only boxer briefs, covered with what appeared to be soot. Ellis says the teen was scared someone was going to come after him and asked to be hidden.

"He said, `Don't let them get me, don't let them get me,'" Ellis said. "He was totally terrified."

Ellis said the teenager told him he was picked up after running away from the foster home to look for his family and that he was held for almost a year. Ellis said he looked like he was between 10 and 12 years old.

Source

Wow this is just a scary story in general ... supposedly got kidnapped running away from foster home? i would freak out if i saw the kid in the gym with the chain around his ankle and covered in soot ... wow i feel sorry for this kid ... and hope that his captors get due punishment...

[edit on 2-12-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
What a nightmare. They go so far as to say he appeared prepubescent! That means he was probably malnourished as well as tortured.

I hope the foster parent(s) answer for this. A foster home is supposed to be a refuge and safe haven provided by willing guardians who want to care for and nurture those in need.

Instead we constantly see profiteering people using the system and abusing those they are bound to protect.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
it was not the foster parents who did this, just to clarify. it was another 'couple' who picked the boy up while he was 'on the run'.

all the same what horrible experience, i hope those who committed it will be brought to justice.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Good find! A tormenting story.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
it was not the foster parents who did this, just to clarify. it was another 'couple' who picked the boy up while he was 'on the run'.

all the same what horrible experience, i hope those who committed it will be brought to justice.

I just saw on the news that the couple has 4 children and the woman is a girlscout leader. Unfortunately, those kids of the couple will now suffer tremendously, if they dont already. Sad and sick.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by inked up]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Here is an article on those evil people..

cbs5.com...

A girl scout leader and her husband are also in custody. They were booked on suspicion of torture, kidnapping and child abuse after the bruised, terrified teen turned up half-naked late Monday afternoon at the In-Shape Sports Club on Tracy Boulevard in downtown Tracy.

The couple's four young children, two of whom were home when police arrived, have been placed with Child Protective Services, authorities said.

On her MySpace Web page, Lau described herself as a stay-at-home mom and said her husband worked as a contractor. She posted many photos of her family, friends and pets.

Lau started serving as a local Girl Scout leader sometime in September, according to the head of the group's regional chapter.

A background check performed before making Lau a Scout leader turned up nothing to cause concern, said Pam Saltenberger, chief executive of Girl Scouts Heart of Central California.

The family's tidy two-story house was decked with two large Christmas wreaths on the front doors. No one answered Tuesday when reporters knocked on the front door.

According to neighbors, the couple seemed to lead lives that revolved around their kids

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
This astounds me that it happened in Tracy. I was born and raised there and even babysat for Chuck Ellis who is the manager at In Shape City. It horrifies me that adults can do this to children.

The mother claims she feared for the safety of her own children because she feared the young man's aunt. What mother in their right mind would allow abuse of another child in their own house?

The parents and the aunt should be locked up and the key thrown away.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal

His Aunt has been arrested now as well. Any idea the connection between the Aunt and this couple?

I know I heard something about the parents earlier this week but I was driving and only half listening. I am astounded at the shortage of coverage to be found on this considering AM radio has been discussing it all week.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Stories like this one creeps me out because the ‘scout leaders’ are supposed to be in good standing with the community and yet these supposed ‘good’ folks turn up to be felonious to some degree. I know! Perhaps, a thorough background check, annual licensing and/or the periodic oversight would help to ensure that our children won’t be harmed by these abusive adults.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Ramirez had become the teen's guardian after child-welfare officials took him from his abusive father three or four years ago, police said. After Ramirez was arrested for allegedly abusing the boy, he was placed in another foster home, which he fled in late 2007, police said.

However, Ramirez was arrested last year for allegedly abusing the boy, and has had a felony warrant out for her arrest and been "on the lam for the past year and a half," Robinson said.

The boy was then put into the group home in Tracy where he had allegedly been burned, beaten with baseball bats, choked with a belt and starved before escaping Monday, police said.

What a horrible life that boy has had. First abused by his own dad, then by his aunt, than again at his second foster home, than he gets kidnapped and tortured for a year...

Humans are one #ed up species...

new topics

top topics

join