It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Spoiled Under Thirty Crowd

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'd like to say that I wrote this but I did not. It rings so true to my ears because I'm over thirty and remember those days so well. I got this in an email and wanted to share it with everyone. I have know clue to who wrote this so I hope I don't get in any trouble for posting it here. Those over thirty will understand and those under will never really know how hard we had it back then. Does this ring true to anyone over thirty? Does anyone under thirty have anything to say about this? And will those under thirty be able to say just how hard they had it in the future to their kids.

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning uphill...barefoot... BOTH ways Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up,There was no way I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it! But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a Utopia!
And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!! There was no email!! we had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there! There were no MP3' s or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances. We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your Imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and
faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a Little book called a TV Guide to find out what was On! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off
your tail and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no
Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning. Do you Hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons. And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove ... Imagine that! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

[edit on 12/2/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I am 23. My father had a very hard life growing up, and when my brother and I were growing up, he didn't want us to have to go through what he did. Though I would not say my brother and I were spoiled per se (that is, we rarely threw tantrums if we didn't get what we wanted, and we asked for less and less as we got older), we did have it very good. I realize this now.

Unfortunately I also realize that being spoiled hindered us as people. Both of us do not have the drive of the desire for success, because all we have known is our parents' generosity and love.

As grateful as I am to my parents for everything they have done, I am also resentful of the fact that my brother and I have turned into lazy people.

I have dreams of my own, and I am definitely intelligent enough to achieve them. The problem is, I lack any real motivation.

[edit on 12/2/2008 by prototism]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I'm with you on this! No email, no Internet, NO COMPUTERS!
Yes, I remember the old days. And no DVDs! I had to wait a year to see the Wizard of OZ! And I only got to see it once! No replay. No watching it over and over again. No Video!
Man, life was hard! Hard I tell ya!

thanks for sharing. The post was so funny, yet all so true.

BTH, this is Pamie at work (can't log on
)

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by prototism

WoW! I can see how your father wanted the best for you and your brother and thought he was giving it to you. I really hope you make your dreams come true and that you find the motivation you need to do it. Thank you for a perspective that I haven't thought about. I know when it all comes down to the end we all have it hard it one way or another.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
My gosh, I feel absolutely ANCIENT now.
Boy did that hit home.
What didn't help is that I was adopted at birth by a couple in their late 40's.
Talk about generation gap.
I heard my mom's stories of washing the soldiers uniforms (Norwegian) when she was a young girl. She even had love letters she had saved from a trist with a soldier.
I remember having a record player, 3 whole channels on TV..then we got cable when I was 5, and we got a whole 13 CHANNELS!
Saturday morning was cartoons from 6am till noon, and damn straight I was a couch potato for 6 hours. Then outside to ride my bike till dark.
Only video games were at the arcade with the pinball machines.I still love PacMan.
We cooked with a gas stove and leftovers were re-heated in the oven.
I remember when there were no VCR's, no CD players, No microwaves, and NO CELL PHONES!
I suddenly feel like my childhood was so deprived...NOT!
At least I developed an imagination.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Man that was great.

I can remember all of the things mentioned. We had the big floor model tv with the wooden cabinets that was broken...and on top sat the samll black and white tv. We had to use rabbit ears for reception and pliars to change the channel when the crappy knob broke off.

I remember the first time I ever saw the internet I didnt know what to make of it. It reminds me of my great uncle when he told me about the first time he ever heard a song on the radio...he thought someone was playing a joke on him.

We didnt have a microwave til I was in my teens, or a VCR. I owned an Atari 2600 and can honestly say I have owned almost ever video game system ever released...sans a few wierd ones like NEO GEO.

I remember when my dad got pissed one day because cigarettes went over $1 a pack. We bought these wierd things called cassette tapes when we wanted new music. My first computer was a Texas Instrument and it probably had the capacity of your average wrist watch these days...probably less.

I remember being in elementary school and seeing a computer for the first time, we played Hang Man via entering code. Cell phones were only used in the car and were as big as a hair dryer.

I feel old...lol....at 31. Imagine what the world will be like when we are in our 70's or 80's.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I remember when my dad got pissed one day because cigarettes went over $1 a pack.

I remember being 13 and they cost $2.25 for a pack of 20.
I also remember gas being 35cents a liter. DAYUM!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Now you all just made me feel old. I remember going down to the gas station a few blocks from our house and getting a pack of cigarettes for my dad. They were 50 cents a pack out of that machine you pulled the knob and down they fell. LOL BlackOps719, I remember the players turning the channel on the TV too. Remember the 8-track tapes that cut the song off half way through it and you had to eject it, turn it over to listen to the rest of the song. :bnghd: Man I hated that!

And AccessDenied, I spent most of my youth playing those arcade games. I liked Pac-Man, Defender, Asteroids. My favorite was Galaga with those insect like enemies dropping down and you shoot them with your spaceship. Then you can double your ship and double shoot. Those were the top of the line games back then. Now their ancient and I'm feeling ancient myself.
lol

And anonymous yes those TV shows I couldn't wait to watch every year, including the Christmas ones. Things sure have changed haven't they.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
Now you all just made me feel old. I remember going down to the gas station a few blocks from our house and getting a pack of cigarettes for my dad. They were 50 cents a pack out of that machine you pulled the knob and down they fell.

I was in a restaurant a couple of weeks ago where they still have one of those machines – man, the rush of nostalgia that gave me! Cigarettes were $1.10 when I first started smoking I think, although they quickly went up to $1.35 and I swore I'd quit if they ever got up to $2.00

I did, too, sometime after they went to $7.50

But yeah, I remember no caller ID, no call waiting, no cable, no VCR, no answering machine ...

Computer "graphics" strictly made of ASCII art on 80-character displays

I don't know about better or worse, or easier or harder, but it sure was different when people expected to talk to each other directly instead of trading voice mail messages.

[edit on 12/3/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Aw man, this brought me back. I'm 28, but it all hit home. I remember I was never quick enough to hit pause, so all my mix tapes inevitably had either the DJ or the next song on it.

My mom would send me and my younger brothers to the store that was an entire 1.5 miles away. By ourselves!

I miss TV Guide. The saddest day ever was when they announced they were going to a magazine size format. I LOVED when my mom would buy one - I sill have the one from when Start Trek:TNG ended!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Compared to most on this site, I'm sure I would be considered a geezer but life on the farm on the high plains of Texas was pretty rugged. Out door toilets and no running water in the house. When we moved to town life seemed great. Paved streets even.

But I feel the need to pay a serious complement to the under 30 crowd I associate with.

They are talented, dedicated, professional, hard working, attractive, motivated and uncomplaining bunch of people and I feel lucky to be able to call them friends.

If they are any indication of the future of America; It will be a glorious place to call home and live.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

The purpose of the post is to look back and see what you had then and know. Compared to what we older people had, the younger have it all. Now thirty years from now those same under thirty will look back and see that they didn't have near as much as the generation growing up in their old age. It's just kind of funny to look back.

I wish I had the Internet while in high school. The wealth of information on the net is astounding compared to searching the library for it. When my children have questions that I don't know I just simply say " Ask God " which is the internet for fun. The only thing we could burn back then was camp fires, Mary J, cigarettes etc... Now you can burn Cd's and DVD's and now I here they're coming out with a fourteen layer Blue Ray disc that could hold up to 400 GB of information. That's just amazing to me.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Speaking of stuff you can burn, remember when Zip disks came out? Especially for those of us in college at the time, it was INCREDIBLE to hold 10 whole megabytes of data on a single disk!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Man forget about zip discs......we had the card catalogue at the library...hahaha. Thats right kids...it's the Dewey Decimal System....hoorah!!

I would wager there are kids out there 15 and under who have never actually checked out a book from a library. If I had a computer to help me when I was in school I have no doubt that I would have gone to Harvard....but because of the DDS and all of that damned required reading I settled for Princeton instead...(yeah right

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

I hear ya.

I remember before people died from aids... but died from coronaries & strokes that today very few people perish from.

I remember if you were over 50, you had very few teeth left.

I remember when people died from polio or were crippled by it.

I prefer to live one day at a time, and everyday is a reason to celebrate and party.

My conehead friends from Los Alamos tell me of research that seems impossible and terrifying.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!

[edit on 3-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
All hail the Dewey Decimal System! I was one of the cool kids (cough, choke) in grade school and got to work in the library because of my solid understanding of it. Eh, it was better than some other tasks. I was actually good at it too - I could practically shelve books without looking at the numbers.

Thought of something else, although it's really more something the younger set is missing out on - RECESS. I have no idea how I would have gotten through school if not for recess. Waaaay too much fun.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

ALL HAIL THE LIBRARY CROWD!!!

Me too!
I spent every lunch hour, grade seven and eight, helping out the school librarian. I loved her to death.It got to the point where she asked ME what books she should order so that everyone liked them.
To this day, I have all my favorite books that she read to me in kindergarten in my library for my kids.WOW! I'm getting all nostalgic..and stuff.
I also was a crossing guard every morning for the younger kids, and I sold milk at lunchtime for the band teacher.
Man, those were the days.
Nowadays kids collect some really expensive stuff too.
When I was 11 I had a sticker collection, that I kept in a photo album.
Glitter ones, scratch and sniff ones, puffy ones, fuzzy ones...
OMG! I miss that! We would trade them too!
And When I felt crafty we made "FRIENDSHIP PINS". These were safety pins that you put colored and decorative beads onto. Then you pinned them anywhere and everywhere. My shoes were covered in friendship pins.
I WANNA BE A KID AGAIN!!!!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

LOL...scratch n sniff stickers were awesome.

The slice of pizza....the ice cream cone...the dill pickle. Some of them smelled really weird and for all I know may have been toxic.

Good times

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by AccessDenied

LOL...scratch n sniff stickers were awesome.

The slice of pizza....the ice cream cone...the dill pickle. Some of them smelled really weird and for all I know may have been toxic.

Good times

My FAVORITE was the HOT BUTTERED POPCORN. The worst one I had, was the OLD SNEAKER.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
OMG I remember the scratch and sniff lol! And the library was a place I would get the " BIG " head phones and plug into that little record player they had there and listen to 45 records. Man O man I'm old. I remember the Bic pen that had Red, blue, green, black and I can't remember the other colors, but that was top of the line stuff back then. Just click which color you wanted and write or color. It was either a zippo lighter or a pack of matches back then too. And those silly mood rings. lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join