It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Einstein's Theory Proven

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

PARIS (AFP) – It's taken more than a century, but Einstein's celebrated formula e=mc2 has finally been corroborated, thanks to a heroic computational effort by French, German and Hungarian physicists. A brainpower consortium led by Laurent Lellouch of France's Centre for Theoretical Physics, using some of the world's mightiest supercomputers, have set down the calculations for estimating the mass of protons and neutrons, the particles at the nucleus of atoms. According to the conventional model of particle physics, protons and neutrons comprise smaller particles known as quarks, which in turn are bound by gluons. The odd thing is this: the mass of gluons is zero and the mass of quarks is only five percent. Where, therefore, is the missing 95 percent? The answer, according to the study published in the US journal Science on Thursday, comes from the energy from the movements and interactions of quarks and gluons. In other words, energy and mass are equivalent, as Einstein proposed in his Special Theory of Relativity in 1905. The e=mc2 formula shows that mass can be converted into energy, and energy can be converted into mass. By showing how much energy would be released if a certain amount of mass were to be converted into energy, the equation has been used many times, most famously as the inspirational basis for building atomic weapons. But resolving e=mc2 at the scale of sub-atomic particles -- in equations called quantum chromodynamics -- has been fiendishly difficult. "Until now, this has been a hypothesis," France's National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) said proudly in a press release. "It has now been corroborated for the first time." For those keen to know more: the computations involve "envisioning space and time as part of a four-dimensional crystal lattice, with discrete points spaced along columns and rows."

looks like we finally did it. took 103 years but now its proven. so what do we call it now?

cant be called Einstein's THEORY anymore can it? o well it was pretty interesting news to me.

news.yahoo.com...

here is the story ^^^

[edit on 07/17/2008 by N. Tesla]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
dug up some more websites

news.softpedia.com...

www.sciencenewsdaily.org...

einstein's theory proven with the "lead" of a pencil

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Incredible, Einsteins lucky guess finally vindicated!!!

I know it was just a guess because creationists have explained many times that according to the dictionary theory = guess.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
How can this possible be proven by "calculation"? It must be proven by "experimentation". Furthermore, Einstein used gravity in his calculation, did he not? And, since then we have discovered that there is no such thing as gravity, as noone has been able to find a graviton or the field responsible for it. "gravity", as we know it, is just static charge "cling". Get back to me, when you prove that the Earth is flat by calculating that the horizon dips into the distance because the "Ether" bends its light, mathematically.

I can't believe you posted this without experimental, unequivocal, resounding, proof that we can all test at home with little effort at home.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by roknhrdcor
How can this possible be proven by "calculation"? It must be proven by "experimentation". Furthermore, Einstein used gravity in his calculation, did he not? And, since then we have discovered that there is no such thing as gravity, as noone has been able to find a graviton or the field responsible for it. "gravity", as we know it, is just static charge "cling". Get back to me, when you prove that the Earth is flat by calculating that the horizon dips into the distance because the "Ether" bends its light, mathematically.

I can't believe you posted this without experimental, unequivocal, resounding, proof that we can all test at home with little effort at home.

You want an experiment you can easily perform at home in which you measure the mass and energy of quarks and gluons?

[edit on 2/12/08 by Kailassa]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by roknhrdcor

HAHAHAHAHA, wow your pretty funny. do you have a particle accelerator? maybe an electron microscope? Even if you had those things in your basement it would be like using google earth to inspect an ant hill.

This is not something that you can understand by visiting the mcdonalds drive thru lane; which is the equivalent of what your demanding.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by drsmooth23]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

yea when i read that i laughed pretty hard. its seems to me people don't know how hard it is to study what einstein was talking about.

physics isnt for the small minded

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

Lots of number crunching had to be done before the result could support the Einstein equation.

Btw, that topic already showed up about two weeks ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join