It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All remotes have gone wonky...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I wasnt quite sure where to post this question;

Last night all my remotes didnt work properly or at all. If it was only one, I would have guessed it'd be the batteries, but they all work fine again this morning.

All of them just went haywire and didnt promt the command of the buttons I pushed.

- My tv had like a 10 second delay time on some of the promts like volume etc.
-My home theatre system wouldn't budge on any of the buttons except the volume, which also had a delay, but this was more like a 20 second delay.
-My set top box's either didnt respond, or only responded after pressing the remote buttons several times.
-My other TV's also had major responding delays.

Does any one have any ideas what could have caused this? I assume all remotes work on infrared, so it'd have to be somethng that distorts infrared I suppose!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by corvin77

Unplug all your components for 30 seconds then plug them back in and see if that helps your situation. Sometimes if a brown out happens this can cause strange things such as this with electronic equipment.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
some times the simplest answer is the correct one.

try to change the batteries.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Huh? What is a brown out?

I did check the remotes again this morning and they all worked fine, so it wasnt the batteries.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
A brown out is when you have a complete power outage that only lasts a second or so and everything flips back on. We have them here regularly in the summer when everyone's AC is on max.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Ok, just googled it and got this off wiki

Brownout A drop in voltage in an electrical power supply, so named because it typically causes lights to dim. Systems supplied with three-phase electric power also suffer brownouts if one or more phases are absent, at reduced voltage, or incorrectly phased. Such malfunctions are particularly damaging to electric motors. Some brownouts, called voltage reductions, are made intentionally to prevent a full power outage.

if my appliances worked fine manually, but my remotes didnt. Could this have been a cause of a brown out?

[edit on 12/2/2008 by corvin77]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by corvin77
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Huh? What is a brown out?

I did check the remotes again this morning and they all worked fine, so it wasnt the batteries.

A lot of times after a while it will sort itself out, however there are times it will require a hard re-boot of the equipment if you will. I have seen electronic equipment do very strange things due to brown outs. Many times you wont even notice when a brownout happens as it can happen in an instant.

Brownout
A drop in voltage in an electrical power supply, so named because it typically causes lights to dim. Systems supplied with three-phase electric power also suffer brownouts if one or more phases are absent, at reduced voltage, or incorrectly phased. Such malfunctions are particularly damaging to electric motors. Some brownouts, called voltage reductions, are made intentionally to prevent a full power outage.
en.wikipedia.org...(electricity)#Brownout

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Hey wow, my remote acted up too. It works fine in daylight hours, but after dark it acts up. The volume works fine, but the channel up/down very long delay or it'll lock itself into a fast channle up an wont stop unless you manual'y turn the unit off. I've tried rebooting the system/ batt's no change. interesting.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Really? has ATS become so paranoid that now remotes not working correctly deserves its own thread. i mean come on, not everything that happens in your everyday life has to be connected to a conspiracy.

omg i had diarrhea today the NWO put something in my water.

Stop It.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo

A lot of times after a while it will sort itself out, however there are times it will require a hard re-boot of the equipment if you will. I have seen electronic equipment do very strange things due to brown outs. Many times you wont even notice when a brownout happens as it can happen in an instant.

I hear what you are saying CaptGizmo, (Haha only noticed your username now) but not all the appliances were on at the same time, I tested all the appliances and their respective remotes at different intervals, and every time it was the same problem, the remotes weren't working (ie infrared distortion)

can any other waves distort infrared waves?

[edit on 12/2/2008 by corvin77]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

Im not saying it is a conspiracy, just that it is an occurance I do find slightly odd, and couldnt think of a better place to get answers than from fellow ATS'ers

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Well here in England we get those 'brown outs' all the time. Never called them that though.

We get them through out the year, quite often during the advert break of a popular tv programme when lots of people turn lights on in the kitchen and turn their kettles on to make a drink.

I have never had any sort of remote problem from that, and it probably happens at least twice a week, sometimes more.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I have searched the internet and can't find anything on the subject.

Anyone here know of any info/material on infrared distortion?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by corvin77

Don't know if this'll help, but Dish Network replaced my remote, thinking that might be the problem. Didn't. Called them back, replaced the box still same problem. The Tec they sent to check out my system said that they've got a few calls about this, but they can't find a cause. So now their looking into it.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Wow! When I saw the title of this thread I nearly fell off my seat. Remotes going wonky? Tell me about it. Last night my TV and satellite box remote both went dead on me and this morning the remote for my car (the fob which remotely turns off the alarm and opens the door locks) didn't work. So I used the spare and that Isn't working either. Is it just a weird coincidence or something more. . ?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
source
This isn't something I've studied but I wonder if lighting has anything to do with it?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Wow, I find that very intersting...but more than sure that there was no lightning yesterday or any day in the past moth at least!

Having said that, I did notice loads and loads of contrails yesterday...but please note, all who are reading this, I in no way intend to turn this thread into another contrail/chemtrail argument.

If possible, if anyone else were having troubles with their remote controles last night, could you perhaps state yo location/country and troubles experienced with your remotes.

Maybe, just maybe, we can contain it to a certain area and then come to some conclusion as to why these problems came about.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Ps. i live in london, and noticed that everyone with similiar problems were from the UK!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Yes, well our powerstations don't seem to be brilliantly made.

A few months ago in a storm, the lightening hit the power station/transformer station. The power went out immediately, but half the sky glowed neon blue for 5 seconds...now if that normally happens when a power station is hit ....awesome

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You might live somewhere with a lot of electro-magnetic interference. That could explain why it doesnt work at night well, many people could be using their remotes and internet. If you are in close-quarters living - this increases more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join