It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan 'should develop nuclear weapons'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Japan should consider developing nuclear weapons, the former head of the Japanese air force has said.

And if the country had atomic weapons in 1945, it should have used them against the Allies, General Toshio Tamogami added.

Sacked as chief of staff of the Air Self-Defence Force in late October for writing an essay in which he claimed Japan was tricked into the war and that Japan was not the aggressor, Gen Tamogami has continued to embarrass the government by going further with his demands.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

So what do you think? Personally, I think this guy is off his rocker. Could this be the beginning of a new asian arms race? I hope not...

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Japan was the aggressor.

But the US wanted it that way and new it was coming.

Nothing will come of this though...Japan and the US are buddies

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
As a fan of anime, video games, and Japanese culture in general, I believe that Japan has changed quite nicely over the years. That being said, China is probably the Asian culture one would need to worry about.

Younger Japanese citizens seem to have fads inspired by past American fads. Aside from that, a growing number of American teens have been embracing Japanese cultures. I don't believe that the Japanese government would risk that relationship.

As it turns out, if they were to start some sort of war where they were facing America/Canada/Europe, I'm sure they know their economy would go to hell. Those three countries make up a good portion of their companies electronics/animation sales. (Sony, Nintendo, etc)

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
if japan had nuks, it would not be an obedient buddy of US, but a independent competitor.

a people who denies truth of history and holds the ambition to develop nuk is real danger to the world.

chinese culture featuring tolerence and harmony has nothing worthy of worring about.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
This guy really needs to study his own culture

Japan, saves a ton of money and remains economically viable by sitting the arms race out.

When in peril and the world needs to be saved they skip right over nukes and develop:

Giant Robots

I should add

Giant Robots Controlled by pretty hot chicks that are completely immune to nuclear weapons and can vaporize whole fleets and cities with a single laser blast

Any "so called" Japanese Military Personal know that is the Nations plan and destiny

So this guy is officially out of his mind

In addition to Giant Robots

if needed

They also intend to Create Giant Monsters

and

Summon Demons with massive Penis Tenticle Lasers

Maybe this guy is just a dis info agent? But if he is he is way too late, we all know the nations inevitable military domination of the Earth will be made a reality after some horrible force (The Chojin) destroys the US Military.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
They could always release those genetically engineered Pokemon they've been saving to release into the wild.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The US already gave them 2 and look what they did with them.

a little silly to give them more.

I think I would prefer a world without any anyway

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Don't laugh... Japan is so far ahead with this stuff we are all doomed.

I hit a Feral pokemon with my car the other day, so they already have them inside the country.

Did 3,500.00 in damage to my front end then just evolved and flew away... Looked that some sort of Bear Pig Dog kind of a thing.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
All fun and jokes aside.

A nation like Japan in the position it happens to be in would be spending it's money to develop a post Nuclear super weapon of some sort. China actually has 7 in the works which is frightening as heck.

New wars aren't won with the best weapons of the old wars, they are won with newly invented weapons

Japan would be in a very good position with hardly any expenditure to go n that direction and I wouldn't be surprised if in secret it already has.

Might not be a giant Robot, but i would be surprised in the least if threatened Japan brought out something that made an a-bomb look like a toy in under 6 months if she was forced into doing so.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Ladies, Gentlemen, Giant robot fans et al......

The title of this thread, and thus the topic of the thread is....

Japan 'should develop nuclear weapons'

For the sake of world peace, and my sanity, please stick to the topic and not wander off down Tangent Boulevard, turning left at Off Topic Lane.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
No they should not... nor do they have anything to worry about...

Q: Do Germans have Nuclear wapons?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The idea of Japan developing nukes scares me a little. I mean, they are the only country to have nukes used against them, so they may still have a bit of an axe to grind. I would hate to see them settle the score.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Good point.

The only Nation on the entire planet in all of its history to recieve a nuclear weapon (or 2) and someone out there thinks its a good idea to send one (or 2) out there in return??

No bueno amigos, no bueno indeed

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
A couple of things to bear in mind:

1) The speaker has been recently discharged for his views. There's a thread on it somewhere here.

2) Japan is, to my knowledge, the only nation in the world without de jure Armed Forces - and the debate over whether or not Japan should alter the constitution to have an actual bona fide military AT ALL - let alone nuclear weapons - nearly toppled Koizumi's government a couple of years back. The public debate over sending a handful of JSDF engineers to Iraq to assist and observe ran on for months. There is zero chance of the Japanese pursuing a defensive or offensive nuclear option.

3) The Feral pokemon thing is well under control. Once people realized they were edible, it ceased to be a problem. I had a nice grilled pikachu donburi for lunch today (yakipikadon).

[edit on 4-12-2008 by vox2442]

sty

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

why giant robots? to target them easier? lol . I would say arrays of microrobots are better, raplace a giant robot with an intelligent group of let say 1000 small robots..

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
The US already gave them 2 and look what they did with them.

Naughty munkey66 - I should tell your mother on you, spanked bottom and no keyboard for a whole week - making fun of instant fried tojo...

It's north Korea or China that's the real threat to Japan, why don't Japan just allow the US to base some of their own missiles and bombers there - or do they already do that? - Same goes for Taiwan.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Japan already has the technical knowhow to produce nuclear warheads, and they have ballistic missiles with their H2A rockets developed for civilian use that can be easily converted to hold a nuclear tip.

Japan actually have the capabilities to produce a thousand of them within a few months and have had that capability for decades now. They also have the greatest reserves of weapons grade plutonium, and if they chose to convert it all into nukes they'd have a stockpile of nuclear weapons greater than that of the United States.

It hasn't done so because they don't want to start an arms race in Asia, but they may have to in the future, depending on what path China decides to take its military buildup in the coming years. It may be better for Japan to possess nukes than to try and match China pound for pound in military hardware.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Yes the US has some bases in Japan. I remember watching some anime where they had American soldiers posted in bases there so I looked it up. Heres a quote from Wikipedia!

The United States Forces Japan (USFJ, Japanese: 在日米軍 Zainichi Beigun) refers to the various divisions of the United States Armed Forces that are stationed in Japan. Under the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security between the United States and Japan, the United States is obliged to defend Japan in close cooperation with the Japan Self-Defense Forces for maritime defense, ballistic missile defense, domestic air control, and disaster response operations.

en.wikipedia.org...

Personally I think that's pretty cool. Another quote-

As of 2007
Important Topic Updates
, there are 33,453 U.S. military personnel stationed in Japan, and another 5,500 American civilians employed there by the United States Department of Defense. The United States Seventh Fleet is based in Yokosuka. The 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force (III MEF) is based in Okinawa. 130 USAF fighters are stationed in the Misawa Air Base and Kadena Air Base.
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Underbelly
Japan actually have the capabilities to produce a thousand of them within a few months and have had that capability for decades now. They also have the greatest reserves of weapons grade plutonium, and if they chose to convert it all into nukes they'd have a stockpile of nuclear weapons greater than that of the United States.

I did not know that.

Do you think you could pull up a few links please - I like to read more on that. Cheers.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by Underbelly

I did not know that.

Do you think you could pull up a few links please - I like to read more on that. Cheers.

Sure thing;

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Underbelly]

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join