It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joining the armed forces is ones choice!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Joining the armed forces is ones choice. With all the backlash I hear and read I thought I had to state my opinion on this. People make a choice to join one of our armed forces for education and training with the possibility of going to war. The parents and the enlisters know this in advance when they sign the papers. The gov't fullfills their responsibilties and so should the men and women that enlist. So war breaks out in Iraq and Afganistan and now some of the men and women who joined are upset with this. Upset yes...who wouldn't be? I wouldn't want to go to war but there are no free rides. The gov't can't say ok you don't want to go...fine. A contract was made between the gov't and the enlisters and must be fullfilled or we would have no military might and no protection for our communities. I feel the pain of the parents and ones who have lost loved ones in war but they need to fullfill their obligations. No I havn't personally lost any loved ones thankfully at this time but the possibility is always there and was known as soon as they signed on. I still support our armed forces 100% in this matter although I won't say I support the decision of war. Support our troops people...they need it in these times.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Joining the armed forces is ones choice!

Maybe so, Not for long. Soon We will be at war with other countrys, Draft will be reinstated.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
My only pet peeve are these good ol' boys that have been on the dole in the Reserves for freaking ever complaining now that they actually have to earn their money.

I hear it all the time from reservists families. Like "This is BS; Bubba didn't sign up for no year in Irock"

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
True enough...

But, this group actually have grounds to complain about. Things like not having enough weapons to go around, and poor living conditions, should not happen in the world's most advanced military.

Knowing many in the armed forces, I will certainly agree it is a choice, but I'm failing to see the point of what you're bringing up here???

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
What I'm bringing up here is the fact that they made the choice to enlist. Did they enlist for free education and training? Then they made a huge mistake by not thinking of the consequences of their actions. If they didn't want what is in effect now then they should have thought about that in advance because I'm sure when they signed in the gov't didn't tell them they weren't going to have to go to war. They made the choice and have to deal with it. Like I said before...I feel for the ones who have a loss but they should have not signed in for the wrong purpose.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Its ur personal choice if u wish to sign up or not...no one can choose for u.

I have no regrets...it has taught me a lot and shown that i have the guts to go and do what is needed to be done.

It has changed me...some for the best and some for the worst....but again no regrets as it has made me a stronger person.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I joined but back then if you were "white trash" you were either drafted or wound up in front of a judge that gave you a choice.....Army,Navy,Marines or Prision.

I chose Army

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Currently it is a personal choice to join the armed forces of the United States. A draft could change that though. Mitigating social factors also bring some people into the military such as familial financial situations. Though being in the military is primarily voluntary.

I think one of the major problems for many soldiers and opinionated consituents of the United States is that the Iraq invasion/occupation has been revealed to be less on the side of truth and justice and more to be about financial security of the United States. Many people who join the military and who support it want it to do good, especially if they happen to be a part of the United States which for a long while now has attempted to show itself as a leader in good, freedom, and human relations. That ideal certainly has been shattered for many and this is what leads to soldiers like Camilo Mejia giving up their military service.

However, they are duty bound to what they agreed to, right or wrong. Unfortunately for many, the wrong wasn't what they wanted to be a part of.

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
im in the air force right now. i leavefor basic on august 10th and i am fully aware that i might get sent to a place where people might try and kill me. its part of the whole deal. if you just enlist for the money for education, get the # out!

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
the main peace of advice i can give anyone thinkin about it...think hard about ur descision!!!!

Speakin from personal experience...been over to iraq 2x...wounded...seen some sick #e and i still came back albiet a few missin marbles....but i now feel stronger mentally and physically.

ur choice...dont let anyone else choose for u

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
KrazyIvan,

RIGHT ON! If you can't hack the system, you shouldn't have tried.

new topics

top topics

join