It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wooden Plank Found On Mars -- Debunked

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Malfeitor

Look, do not get me wrong. I have no problem with NASA taking the time to alter photos. I do not believe everthing that they say ... but... I have trouble with the premise that was presented; being -

Feed transmitted images go through a software program that automatically replaces anything architectual with more fake rocks. I need to see this software, or anything even remotely capable. Like I also said, would it not be easier to just make up photos, kinda like the ones that you showed?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by riggs2099

Easiest way to be controlled is to have a closed mind and believe only that which is accepted as truth by the masses.

Dont be afraid to think out the box - all things truly are possible, and those that realize this get to pull the stings.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by angel of lightangelo

Quite right, I think. However, there is but one thought about the issue which bugs me. Once again, I find myself unable to provide a link...perhaps if I slept less often I'd be able to remember cool things like names.
When I was a child there was a news interview with a government agent of some sorts; I believe he was either NSA or CIA. He had recently retired, and was showing the reporter pieces of technology which had the government had kept quiet, but which had appeared on television anyway. He said something a bit troubling during that interview, that 'if you've seen it on t.v., the government's had it for ten years'. Things like retinal scanning were a myth not very long ago, but now we know different. Now, considering the fact that all technology-based companies, namely computer companies, have marketed their wares in such a way that we'll only see the new tech circa 2020... Well, I must wonder just how advanced the computers at NASA really are. Thinking about how crappy computers were fifteen years ago, and then thinking that the government may be aqcuiring technology on the other end of the curve...
I don't believe it, nor should you. But its worth considering nonetheless.

Anyway, if NASA really wanted to manufacture or edit a photo to screw with us, they'd put a Furby on MARS, not a plank.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

First of all, LOVE THE AVATAR! They have always claimed that the mil. tech. is at least 20 years ahead of what the rest of us know of. Unfortunately, working in image manipulation gives you an edge into the actual logistics that would be involved in such an operation without the time consuming human eye. I am not sure that I can explain it but technology that is decades ahead does not make up for a technology that is either
1 - impossible the way it is posited

or

2 - completely pointless when, as I said, if it takes a pic on mars and then sends back one that is 99% scrub of what it saw and replaced with computer generated rocks, then why not just give us pics of computer generated rocks to begin with?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I could certainly believe there are other forms of life which humans would not be able to recognize or detect. In fact, I think it is probable elsewhere in the universe.

But the presence of a board implies a fairly advanced tool-making life form. It takes tools to make boards, and probably some kind of arms and/or hands to chop down a tree and make it into lumber. In other words, a tree-chopping, board-making life form would not be an amoeba or a furby but most likely something humans could perceive.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Agreed. The notion is more than a bit rediculous; I was merely pointing out a few reasons which usually go without considering.
No, I think if the government were going to use such a technology for disinformation, they would more likely apply it to films or photographs which would actually concern the masses; while UFO evidence is quite interesting to me and to others, the general populace, which is the main concern of the government, doesn't care at all about the unknown. But this is leading more than a bit off-topic, so I'll stop before heading into a lengthy rant about the media.
Long story short, to believe that there is a plank on Mars is ludicrous and requires an avid imagination and an outstanding lack of logic. One may as well go hunting for Elvis.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

The presence of a board also implies the desire to import what is, to a more advanced creature, a fairly useless material across millions of miles of space. One may as well suppose aliens have an interest in giant faces; there is a rumor about a face on Mars somewhere, and I'm certain the people who believe it can rationalize it without any factual basis.
I do agree with one point you've made, though; a plank does imply complex structure and intelligence. It simply ignores motive, means, and source. And as I've pointed out before, Mars seems to have a complete lack of tree, wooden constructs, and life. Either they're masters of disguise or they're very illogical. I don't know any humans who've made planks for the sheer purpose of leaving them in likely landing spots for extra-terrestrial craft. But then, people are strange.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malfeitor

One may as well go hunting for Elvis.

Why? Have any leads?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

He's right, you can get a program to flag you up the appearance of geometric shapes in an image but to get it recognise structures in a 3D environment would require some sort of AI with the ability to run of object recognition. A very difficult task, just think about it, how do you recognise that something is a table?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Pronouns do very little to help when you are talking about more than one different point, more than one post, more than one person's point of view, and call them alll he. Are you trying to refute or back up something?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

Stuff costs more for the government. Still, look up some of the High Definition pictures taken on mars. They are amazing. The reason that many of the anomalous pictures taken on mars seem grainy I feel is because they were part of a larger huge set of pictures not meant for publicity, rather for scientific records. So many pictures, that when analyzed, may turn out something that people do not understand and end up seeing patterns in.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Great post, just want to say that no, mil tech is not 20 years ahead of what we know. They plan for 20 years down the road prototype-wise, but as for what they actually have... It's an annoying process and can be slow and frustrating leading to red tape and dead ends, competition, etc. Like the Commanche project. Until there is conclusive proof that they are ahead by twenty years, I'll believe the stuff we have now is what we are really working with, because what we have now can be proven more easily. Not to say that you cannot believe what you want though.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by newagent89

See, I guess I get confused because all my buddies in the military also love to brag about how they have tech that is 20 years in the future compared to what the civillian will know and yet...I watch any war footage that I can and I always seem to miss that vast array of technology from 2038 that is keeping them all alive and unharmed so well.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

NASA has debunked the belief that a photo taken on Mars includes a wooden plank, or anything like it. Turns out it was an outcropping of rock, which can break evenly as is shown in the picture. Seeing as there's no known life on Mars, and there's a lack of water except at the poles, it is unlikely trees can be found there to make a plank from. The only other possible conjecture is that it could have been imported by another visitor to Mars--but why?

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Of course they would find a wooden plank on mars. Didn't you know, the vikings went there first, long before the americans.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
It's amazing how EVERYTHING on Mars is a "rock formation"...

They should call it "the rock planet" instead of "the read planet".

Peace

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sator
It's amazing how EVERYTHING on Mars is a "rock formation"...

They should call it "the rock planet" instead of "the read planet".

Peace

What else would you expect to find on a giant rock?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Well, the Earth is also known as "the 3rd rock from the sun", isn't it?

And there's a little bit more then just rocks around here too.

Answering your question: What would I expect? More then just rocks, that's for certain.

Peace

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Sator

But what would you expect to find in a desert?

From all the thousands of photos from Mars that I have seen, I have never seen anything besides geological features, except those things that look like some liquid had flowed down hill, but even that can be a geological feature.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by Sator

But what would you expect to find in a desert?
[...]

Spiders, scorpions, snakes, microbial life, cactus and other flora.

Is it so weird to think about this?

Peace

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sator
Spiders, scorpions, snakes, microbial life, cactus and other flora.
Some deserts on Earth do not have any of those things visible to something like the rovers.

Is it so weird to think about this?
No, but if Mars never had life then we will never find those, at least native to Mars.

But if Mars had in some point in time (or still has) life, we may be looking at it and not even know that we are looking at living things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join