It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'they just didnt know what it would do'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Fifty years after the drug thalidomide was created, campaigners fear another baby could be born disabled in the UK.

Thalidomide was withdrawn in 1961 after around 10,000 babies had been born with disabilities such as the characteristic stunted arms or legs. Some babies were born with no limbs at all.

But the drug is making a comeback. It is being investigated as a treatment in around 100 illnesses including cancer, Aids, leprosy and arthritis, and 4,000 people are estimated to be currently taking thalidomide in the UK.

Freddie Astbury, whose mother took thalidomide, was born with all four limbs affected. He said: "The drug has come back to haunt us.

Thalidomide

Here is some more links for information on Thalidomide.

Thalidomide UK

The above link is run entirly by survivors of the devestation Thalidomide drug..there are pictures in here so a warning that some photos can be upsetting.

Just found another story that was broadcast June 02.. there are may more links to stories and information down the side of the page.

Story

To me this is one of the biggest medical science blunders...one version of the drug helped morning sickness and depression while the other cause severe limb damage in the baby and sometimes even miscarriage.

Views please?

gryff

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Good post. This could become a problem.

But I read the article about how the deformities took place. The drug stops the growth of blood vessels and new cells in developing babies.

So they were thinking, hoping, guessing maybe it would stop cancer growth.

I understand the drug has a horrible history, in that they used to give it to pregnant women with headaches, but maybe it could work for cancer victims.

I mean by the time you're battling cancer, you're probably facing chemo, and going to be sterile if you're not already... it's not unusual for cancer remedies to be as harsh as the cancer itself yaknow.

I don't know. I've seen what cancer and chemo does. If any drug could work, it's worth taking it while taking precautions to not get pregnant (if you even still can).

There's quite a few drugs out there they say DO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE OR COULD BECOME PREGNANT... so it's acceptable risk IMO.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Hi Gryff,
Sadlly our gov' are giving the 'green light' too.
P.

www.abc.net.au...

Gryff, what is the statement below the
flag in your ava'? I can't quite make it out. P.

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Its the album cover from Nahoo3 by a man called Paul Mounsey

Its 'Notes from the Republic'

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen
Its the album cover from Nahoo3 by a man called Paul Mounsey

Its 'Notes from the Republic'

Ta G, Nice graphics. I'll look up Paul M'.
P.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
here is another link to some more information not seen before...

Linky

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I missed out on this show that covers the thalidomide topic on channel 4 so ive found this link on the c4 website i carnt belive they want to bring this drug back in to circulation
link

When invented
Thalidomide was first synthesised in West Germany in 1953 by drug company Chemie Grunenthal. Scientists were unsuccessfully attempting to develop an anti-histamine at the time, when they noticed that the drug they were testing acted as an effective tranquilliser and painkiller. Its market value was exploited by the company and it became publicly available in 1957, proclaimed as a wonder drug for insomnia, coughs, colds and headaches.

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by SE7EN]

top topics

join