It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Alamo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Recently I was forced to watch a preview of a movie called The Alamo in the theater. This preview pissed me off greatly. To tell the truth, all movies about the battle of the Alamo I've seen have pissed me off. What's the #ing deal? Why have I been fed the myth of the Alamo for my entire life?

As a child growing up in Houston, Texas I was forced to visit the San Jacinto monument in the outskirts of the city many times. Everytime I went there, I was regaled with stories of the brave Texans fighting off the dastardly Santa Anna and his army. A nice story, right? Well I've learned subsequently that things were not as they seem. Yes, I've learned that the Texas were actually not the "good guys" (gasp!).

By out modern standards, the Texans would be considered the treacherous, murderous bastards rather than the Mexicans. The government of Mexico allowed Americans to immigrate to the Tejas territory in order to populate an empty land. They asked only that the Texans pay taxes and learn Spanish...things demanded of all Mexican citizens.

Of course the lowbrow, racist, Dixie bastards refused to do so. They wanted to claim Tejas as their own and form a new nation. The ungrateful shytes declared war on Mexico and attempted to break away. They attempted to steal Texas from the people who invited them in the first place.

We modern Texans hear today how the "evil Mexicans" slaughtered all the Texans at the battle of the Alamo. Well in truth, the Mexicans spared the women, children. and freed the slaves at the Alamo. Yes, that's right, SLAVES! Texans were slaveholders whereas Mexico had abolished slavery long before. As far as I'm concerned this makes the Mexicans the "good guys" and the Texans the "bad guys". The death of slaveholding bastards, coonskin cap or not, can't be a bad thing right?

What gave these slaveholding, dirtgrubing, theiving bastards the right to steal Texas from Mexico? Nothing!! Nothing other than the color of their skin and some pseudo-patriotic values. God forbid they bend a knee to any government but one run by Anglos!! If only the Mexicans had won the Tejas War....the world would be much better place. Maybe then we wouldn't have idiotic movies glorifying a force of evil.

But history is written by the victors I suppose.....

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I can't say anything about the Alamo itself as I wasn't there and have no info outside of what I was taught in a school. but, I often fantasize about how different history would be if Texas remained Tejas under Mexican rule.

maybe there'd be no bush. no crazy oil tycoons. decreased right-wing religious fanaticism.

I think the movie itself is a big stinker anyway. usually movies about the past are made due to a severe lack of artistic talent (writing, directing, acting, etc).

billy bong (or bomb. you pick the slanderous noun replacement for his middle name) thorton is a piece of crap for an actor (oK! so Im jealous that the hideous creep gets to sleep with one of the hottest women alive!!! bloody sacrificies and kinky lifestyle or not, angelina is beautiful!), and I just plain don't like him. Whenever I see his ugly mug, I think of that "unnnh-hmmm" phrase of his from Sling Blade. To me, that's Billy, and always will be billy. that guy is a big freako in real life anyway.

"unmmmmhmm"

[Edited on 4/3/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Having studied the history of the Alamo. Yes it was wrong the Texians (Texans) to have taken over the alamo and fight against Santa Ana and his men. I don't think it was so much fighting the "evil mexicans" that brought americans together in order to take Texas overall, but rather, it was the fact that the Texians were greatly out numbered in order to keep the alamo, even though they lost disastrously. Yes woman and children were spared, because they were hiding and later surrendered, I believe there was one slave there, and he ran away. But anyways, you've also got to remember that they spared the life of Santa Ana a few weeks later. If you're look at the issue of how Texas was stolen from the mexicans, you also have to look at the view of how the mexicans stole it from the native americans, history does in fact repeat itself, it's how you interpret history that will cause it to happen once.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Wouldn't that be something if Mexico had Texas and the Soviet Union kept Alaska.

America would be the world's cotton supplier! But that's about it. Hmmm, no we'd grow tobacco and oranges too.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Since Bush is from Texas, he wouldn't be the President because he'd be Mexican.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ranger

The thought of a Mexican Bush brings up all kinds of hilarious images in my mind....

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ranger

LMAO!!! A Mexican Bush! Scary...

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
If you're look at the issue of how Texas was stolen from the mexicans, you also have to look at the view of how the mexicans stole it from the native americans, history does in fact repeat itself, it's how you interpret history that will cause it to happen once.

You make a good point there, one I didn't consider.

However, (I don't know this for a fact)I'm sure the Mexicans' treatment of the Indians was far better than what they received from the Americans. Don't forget that all of the "Wild West" was part of Mexico until the Americans took it in the Mexican-American war. The Indians seemed to have lived peacefully under Mexican rule. Under the United States on the other had.....well we all know what happened there. :shk:

new topics

top topics

join