It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we boycott gay businesses?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
reply to post by Jim Scott

What I have seen is a lot of idiots voting to remove a right from a minority. That is not acceptable in any democracy.

Def. of "right": a just claim or title, whether legal, prescriptive, or moral. That which is due to anyone by just claim, legal guarantees, moral principles, etc.

Do homosexuals have the right to marry?
1. They do not have a legal right until established by law. Therefore, we are not taking away their right.
2. They do not have a just claim or title, because no just (def. of just: in accordance with or aadhering to the principles of justice, or with correct principles) claim or title exists. Therefore we are not taking away their claim or title.
3. They do not have a moral right (def. of "moral": Of, pertaining to, or concerned with right conduct or its principles, or conforming to these principles rather than to law, custom, etc.) because homosexual sex is immoral, i.e., not considered by the majority as right conduct.

Homosexuals do not have the right to marry, therefore they are not being deprived of their rights. Until a law is passed to enable them to marry, the right to marry does not exist. Therefore, society is preventing the passage of laws that enable homosexual marriage.

If you are fighting for homosexual rights, you are not fighting for homosexual marriage because the laws do not exist and the act is considered immoral by the vast majority of the world.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Why don't we boycott something that's actually affecting all of us as a whole? Big banks monopolizing all of the financial resources, or boycotting archaic power plants by making your house energy independent?
Something you know... actually important.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Yes, let's get them, these gays and their gay businesses! They are bad, bad people, ALL of them! Quick, get the paint buckets!

Wow, that was an awesome post!

Yes, that picture says it all. A picture is worth 1000 words.

All it takes is one intolerant seed to grow into a big hateful tree.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

See, this is where I don't get it. It's ok for the gays to go after other businesses but it's not ok to go after gay businesses? When you use the same exact tactics that are used by the gays, it is like being a Nazi or something. Aren't the gays being the Nazis by going after the Mormons?

Is it okay for you to sit back and let people oppress and hate you, maybe hurt or try to kill you?

Is it okay for the Jews to just sit back and do nothing while the Nazis oppress and kill them arbitrarily?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

And again you have shown your ignorance.

You are making a very big assumption about "morality".

I see hatred against others who's choices do not affect you as immoral. I see religious fanatics trying to impose their will on others as immoral.

Morality is subjective, and not voted on by the masses.

See previous posts for the actual facts, they've been stated several times, but you refuse to accept them.

As such, it is pointless debating with the ignorant.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NettleTea
The reason such a boycott would fail is because the underlying principle of the action is silly. A few homosexuals protested in an aggressive manner to try and help pass some legislation. It is then a far leap to want to boycott all companies that are in some way shape or form “gay.”

Back to the OP, the gays started the idea of boycott. Please see the links. For example, the website dedicated to all homosexuals boycotting work on Dec 10.

As far as the "few homosexuals," sure looked like a lot to me. They were out in the streets in mass from New York to Los Angeles.

I believe you are correct in this point: don't boycott all companies. However, it is easier to generalize, like the homosexuals do, than it is to single out each demonstrator and find where he or she works, then boycott that particular business. The GAA and Act Up are much better at this than the average citizen, and far better organized. They have made a concerted effort over the past 20 years or so to be well-organized and hurtful to others.

Why don't you see that it is fair to do the same back to them? Why are you defending their tactics to discriminate against supporters of Prop 8? Why are you prejudiced against Prop 8 supporters? Why are you heterophobic?
See, it hurts when the terms commonly used by the homosexual movement are reversed on you.

I think people have blinders on. They have heard the gay movement bash the heterosexuals so long ('breeders') they are used to it, and the media is used to it. How do you think it would work out if the blacks were called 'breeders' or the latinos?

Again, I don't hate gays. I have love for them. I just don't like them trying to get my kids to accept their perverted behavior, or making it legal to be perverted. I especially don't like the tactics they use in the political arena. Many on this thread try to justify their hateful behavior by saying they deserve to hate non-supporters of the gay agenda because these people hated them. What ever happened to "turn the other cheek" (no pun intended), or "love your enemies, do good to them that despitefully use you." These guidelines are for Christians, on both sides of the argument. Both are behaving badly. "What the world needs now, is love sweet love."
How about a new gay group called "act down" or "love thy neighbor" or something.

Anyway, they started the boycott thing. It's the political sword they wield to force businesses and groups to conform to the gay agenda. If we do the same to the individuals responsible for this hateful behavior, then why are we the bad guys?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
Today's news shows gay activists pressuring the Mormons.

www.foxnews.com...

Tomorrow, maybe the blacks and hispanics, or maybe your business or your neighbors. They railroaded one of our best entertainment industry persons in Sacramento right out of his 25 year career when they found out he was for Prop 8. They also interrupt meetings here of anyone they deem is anti-gay by coming to the meeting and making so much noise that no speakers can talk.

I hate to suggest lowering myself to these standards, but they are effectively intimidating select groups. For example, the media is distinctly pro-gay, as is the entertainment industry in general.

I consider it very unfriendly they way the "act up" against others, spreading claims and using buzz-words like "homophobic" to get their way.

What do you think of the idea that turnabout is fair play? What if we were to identify the gay businesses and businesses that support gays and boycott them? Seems fair to me, what do you think?

This would be a particularly effective time to boycott a business, since the economy is having a tough time anyway. Maybe the gay movement could get a little friendlier if their livelihoods were threatened.

Umm.. no. I see no reason to boycott gay businesses. How about we just just allow homosexuals the same rights that we allow everyone else instead and maybe they won't be so pissed off

Can someone give me a legal reason why two people shouldn't be married, that of course doesn't involve religious objections. Because we all know that there is supposed to be a separation of church and state in our law making?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Supposedly, gays are a small percentage of society. Additionally, that small percentage wants to feel like they are a very big percentage, and have impact.

Yes...Yes they do. And while this idea seems to irk you, I see it as fundemental principle of the USA.

As a matter of fact this is one of the most unamerican posts I have seen in a while.

Are we to limit freedoms afforded citizens in this country depending on what percentage of the population your ethnicity, sexual persuasion or religion your "small percentage" represents?

Start to parse it down and we are each minorities to the Nth degree. We are each individuals after all.

Boycott gay businesses? I assume the Mormons aren't frequenting Gay Businesses to begin with and I assume the activists who have confronted the Mormons on this issue aren't worried about losing Mormon customers.

What you would like to do is make it a divisive battle for all Americans.
Has Karl Rove really had such a lasting impact on our thinking?

I fear that some Americans have had the mantra of division and intolerance so thoroughly drummed into their heads that they view everyone through a lense of them and us....when they should be asking who is them and who is us? Americans are better than this "lizard brained" divisive propaganda.

In California the Mormon community ran a strong campaign to pass Proposition 8. They Gay communtiy responded...both as a community acted within legal and democratic processes.

They "Gay Movement" will recieve their equal rights soon. Statistically they have done better on these propositions each time they appear and despite the passing of Prop 8, it was much closer than similiar measures in the past. Time is on their side and appropriately so if America is what it claims to be.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Why don't you see that it is fair to do the same back to them? Why are you defending their tactics to discriminate against supporters of Prop 8? Why are you prejudiced against Prop 8 supporters? Why are you heterophobic?
See, it hurts when the terms commonly used by the homosexual movement are reversed on you.

I think people have blinders on. They have heard the gay movement bash the heterosexuals so long ('breeders') they are used to it, and the media is used to it. How do you think it would work out if the blacks were called 'breeders' or the latinos?

Ok, I'll bite.

Yes, I have seen so many examples of Gay people shutting down straight businesses, gay people refusing you straight people the right to marry, gay people refusing you straights medical care, gay people refusing you straights equality at work, equal pay, protection from physical abuse...

Do you see where I am going with this?

For the last century gay people have had to fight and argue just to be treated equally.
Where was your fight to be able to work? When did you have to fight to keep your job if they found out you were straight?

When was the last time one of your straight buddies was put into a coma by a gang of gay neanderthals becuase he was straight, while the Police stood by and did nothing?

You really do have a completely warped view. And it is clearly driven by a basic Homophobia.

With every post, you are just reinforcing the fact that you are homophobic, grasping at straws in order to justify your views.

This vote was wrong.
Gay people deserve equality under state law, regardless of religious or social opinion.
Gay people have the right to choose a socially aware and responsible company over those who support dictatorship values.

Just as you are entitled to support businesses who do accept a dictatorial system of governance.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

And again you have shown your ignorance.

You are making a very big assumption about "morality".

I see hatred against others who's choices do not affect you as immoral. I see religious fanatics trying to impose their will on others as immoral.

Morality is subjective, and not voted on by the masses.

See previous posts for the actual facts, they've been stated several times, but you refuse to accept them.

As such, it is pointless debating with the ignorant.

"who's choices do not affect you" is an interesting assumption, not borne out by the news. Go to your local school library, see if you can find the books about homosexuals. See what moral training about homosexual tolerance is being taught in schools---a religious teaching. Separation of church and state is not promoted in this case by the homosexual movement. They want the teaching in schools to change the opinions of young minds, the future of America, to accept perverted behavior.

Def. of morality: conformity to the rules of right conduct,; moral or virtuous conduct.
Def. of moral: behaving according to such principles; not immoral or amoral. Virtuous in sexual matters; chaste.
Def. of principle: an accepted or professed rule of action or conduct; a basic law, axiom, or doctrine.

Imposing will on others is not immoral. Laws do that, and we establish the laws.

Our moral principles were derived from ancient laws from many cultures worldwide which were established for the general good of civilized society. Laws against homosexual behavior were made thousands of years ago. Today, gays want to claim those laws as unfair and immoral principles, to the point of redefining marriage. Does this make sense? Had we followed these ancient laws and moral principles today, would we have 33 million people infected with AIDS worldwide?

This thread is not about gay bashing, it is about defending the common moral principles by returning the pressure to the gays that they are putting on businesses and individuals. Decades ago, the gay movement decided it was moral and justified to return hate for hate. See refs. on this thread. If it is ok for gays to return hate for hate, why not the other way around? Why bash the heterosexuals for wanting to use the same tactics as the homosexuals? Same tactics. Fair is fair. S*a*m*e tactics. Get it? So, every ounce of hate you pour on this thread should also be poured out on any pro-gay thread, 'cause they started it. This is just a normal defensive reaction. I think people in general are tired of taking it from the homosexual movement. I think they want to defend themselves from the propaganda onslaught perpetrated through the media and the demonstrations and the boycotts and the belligerent actions of pro-gay groups.

But then, there are those who do not want to defend their rights to a peaceful coexistence. There are those who would let a gorilla loose from the zoo and not want it caged because it has a right to be free, no matter who it hurts.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

they are effectively intimidating select groups. For example, the media is distinctly pro-gay, as is the entertainment industry in general.

I consider it very unfriendly they way the "act up" against others, spreading claims and using buzz-words like "homophobic" to get their way.

This is a terrific example of handicapped thinking. Is everything binary in your world? Everyone and everything either "Pro-Gay" or "Anti-Gay"...do you understand that there is a very large percentage who just don't care whether someone is gay or not?

I'd be interested in further "examples"...so far you have reduced the Media to simply "Pro-Gay" as well as the entertainment industry. Who/What else in America is Pro-Gay? And who/what else is Anti-Gay? Really this says volumes about how you see the world and I hate to say it, but you seem a little pre-occupied with the issue? Anything you want to share?

By the way..."act up" was standard lexicon for complaining about the civil rights movement. In the south it was most often "uppity" and in racist circles that pretended to be intelligent those seeking equal rights were called "agitators"...you know riling up those minorities getting them thinking about equality, freedom and what America means and such.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by maybereal11]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Look, sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but just exactly how are the actions of two consenting adults just trying to live life hurting you, Jim Scott?

How does it affect you in any way?

Is anyone trying to take away your personal right to heterosexual marriage?

No.

And, the gay protesters were protesting against the Mormon church, correct? The ones who sponsored the bill, correct?

Unless you are one of those Mormons, then how does this affect you one way or the other?

[edit on 12/2/2008 by chickenshoes]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Perverted behavior? Can you please define that?

Is the act of love a perverted behavior?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by djpaec
Why don't we boycott something that's actually affecting all of us as a whole? Big banks monopolizing all of the financial resources, or boycotting archaic power plants by making your house energy indee]

Luckily, I can do more than one thing at a time. However, that would be on another thread. This one is focused on homosexual pressure being returned back upon them.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

"who's choices do not affect you" is an interesting assumption, not borne out by the news. Go to your local school library, see if you can find the books about homosexuals. See what moral training about homosexual tolerance is being taught in schools---a religious teaching. Separation of church and state is not promoted in this case by the homosexual movement. They want the teaching in schools to change the opinions of young minds, the future of America, to accept perverted behavior.

You are so incredibly wrong in every way possible!

Tolerance is being taught in schools.
You cannot "make" a person gay!

You are so terrified of gay people "changing" your children that you've lost all intelligence and reason.
Children are being taught to respect people and their right to live how they wish.

Had we followed these ancient laws and moral principles today, would we have 33 million people infected with AIDS worldwide?

Fact, Christianity refusing the use of condoms in regions of Africa has caused the rampant spread of HIV and AIDS globally.

Young heterosexualpeople are sleeping with each other indiscriminately on a scale never before seen in Human history. More often than not they are not using any protection.

This is a global problem brought about by religious rule and general irresponsibility, it has nothing to do with homosexuality, at all.

Again, I feel you are doing most of the work in discrediting your intelligence and opinions for me. I really don't need to say much else.

It's an easy argument when your opponent is so obviously sans intellect.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

Perverted behavior? Can you please define that?

Is the act of love a perverted behavior?

Def. of perverse: willfully determined not to do what is expected or desired; contrary. Turned away from what is right, good, or proper; wicked.

This thread is not judging the perverse acts, it is suggesting the equal reverse of boycotting and demonstrating against gays as they are doing to non-gays. Basically, if they can boycott businesses and individuals that supported Prop 8, for example, then supporters of Prop 8 can boycott businesses and individuals that were against Prop 8. Fair is fair, right?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

You are so incredibly wrong in every way possible!

Tolerance is being taught in schools.
You cannot "make" a person gay!

You are so terrified of gay people "changing" your children that you've lost all intelligence and reason.
Children are being taught to respect people and their right to live how they wish.

Had we followed these ancient laws and moral principles today, would we have 33 million people infected with AIDS worldwide?

Fact, Christianity refusing the use of condoms in regions of Africa has caused the rampant spread of HIV and AIDS globally.

Young heterosexualpeople are sleeping with each other indiscriminately on a scale never before seen in Human history. More often than not they are not using any protection.

This is a global problem brought about by religious rule and general irresponsibility, it has nothing to do with homosexuality, at all.

Again, I feel you are doing most of the work in discrediting your intelligence and opinions for me. I really don't need to say much else.

It's an easy argument when your opponent is so obviously sans intellect.

Sorry, but I am going to have to press the "ignore" button. I am getting tired of your personal attacks.
The blanket blame on Christianity is absurd. For example, Bill Gates gave 100 million dollars to fight aids in Africa. Christians are leading the fight against the problem caused by homosexuals. The majority of America is Christian, and the majority of America is heterosexual, and the amount of tax dollars spent on fighting AIDS from these Christians is staggering.

I do not see the teaching of tolerance for an immoral act as a good thing.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

True, I hope everyone is able to multi-task(especially with more and more finding themselves under-employed or not all). My point is instead of directing so much energy to threads like this, as inflammatory as it is. It should be directed at the money trail of the world wide economic crisis, that could be worse than the depression. Or focusing on ways to be energy independent so we don't have to worry about peak oil. Heck even discussing whether Obama is the Anti-Christ/Not a natural born citizen, the galactic federation, prophecies have more merit than a discussion like this.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Fair is fair, right?

Where have you been for the past decades? Have you forgotten how much the homosexuals have gone through?

The homosexuals have the right to be angry.

Def. of perverse: willfully determined not to do what is expected or desired; contrary. Turned away from what is right, good, or proper; wicked.

Well then homosexual behavior is not perverted because it is natural.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Surely you know that heterosexuals can get AIDS as well, right?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join