It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did ATS become a place to ignore debate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
When did ATS become a place to ignore debate?

I have seen a tremendous amount of threads started in the last few months that either begin with or contain dismissive statements or qualifyers that attempt to rule out debate on a particular subject. I think this should fall under some rule on this forum and if it doesn't already, xpand the rules to include identifying it to the rest of the membership.

Sort of like all of the nice stickers many users get like "Off Topic", "Road Closed".. that type of thing. Maybe a nice "Pontificating & Postulating" sticker or something?

I am not sure exactly how to explain what is going on correctly but anyone who has been an active viewer here probably knows what I mean. The poster will take a subject say for example:
UFO's and then start the topic by saying:

"UFO's are real, we know that, this topic is about...blah bah.. so no one needs to debate UFO's here..."

Or

"Ok, we all know now that God isn't real, so lets move on to deunking the bible verse by verse"

This is happening with 9/11, UFO, NWO, and just about all other topics. There are a few examples on the front page today. We are being beseiged with anti-debaters, people who loathe anyone challenging what they put forth. These people KNOW what they are doing, they are getting many replies from like believers who derail any debate whatsoever.

I would like this to be monitored just a tad bit? Is that asking for censorship (I don't think so)

Is it right that someone can pose something as fact in a thead topic title or first post and dismiss any comment preemptively? Shouldn't that fall under the same kind of header that baiting, off topic or otherwise anti-ATS talk does?

I know everyone has ever right to comment regardless of what the original poster states or requests, that is not my concern. My concern is that we are allowing a belief to become "fact" by virtue of not.

I could be over reacting,
Am I?

[edit on 1-12-2008 by gormly]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gormly

I've notice it too, but you know if your looking for a well structured debate, perhaps you might consider applying for Fighter Status? The debates are based on facts and provide great reading too

- Carrot

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by gormly

Yes it's annoying. lol

More than anything, it's a poor choice of words. I have no issues with someone who says 'THIS is the specific and targeted topic of this certain issue so please let's not rehash the tired old issue of Issue A vs. Issue B.' Especially when there's 100 threads already on the A vs. B debate. So in that sense it is understandable but when they specifically say, 'We all know that THIS is true so let's go on from there,' is a whole other story.

Not sure if it should actually be censored but it is annoying. Not sure if you have seen this thread, Gormly, but it might help:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is loosely about the issue you bring up. Springer is the first one to reply with an answer. I understand you are not bringing up this precise issue but it is similar.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
There is nothing in the T&C that keeps anyone from responding to "We all know" or "It's an accepted fact" etc. with.....

"You're wrong, dodo" or "in your dreams, knucklehead" or "you wish, yahoo" or perhaps "to me that sounds...retarded..."

maybe there is something in the T&C about that kind of response but I see them all the time....maybe they are allowed to slip thru just to keep the debate lively and entertaining.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
You may have also noticed that those types of threads that seek to avoid debate generally flame out rather quickly with limited response.

That's because when a member see's a statement such as that, they quickly realize that the OP is not looking for discussion, but is just trying to bait people into their trap.

Most often the types of threads you're talking about don't last very long. Sometimes they do though and I can see how it can be rather frustrating.

Of course, you could always do what I do in that case, and ignore them.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
case in point
I don't give a damn ..........

There certainly appears to be accounts made who then post "Facts" that are not open to debate, and then within a few days their accounts get banned due to breaking T&C, and then within a week or so another troll pops up to take over.

top topics

join