It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do we need school?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
It's wild to see this thread, started in 2008, dropped and then picked up again!

A lot of us are still wondering about this question. Though the OP seems a little overly provocative.

FIRST: There is a DIFFERENCE between SCHOOL and EDUCATION.

If you go to school, you might get an education. Or you might not. Depends on a lot of factors. These days, most of us aren't "farm boys" any more. If you can get on the internet you can get some sort of an education.

But schools go beyond that. They arose out of a strongly-held belief that youth need guidance and mentoring from wise adults if they are to do well in the world. In many cases this was a class thing, too. A school was a way of testing the child to see if he could make it in the same social echelon as his parents, and if so, what the basic rules were. I think the education factor was there mostly just to keep the kids coming, because most kids like to learn stuff. At the level of idealism, it is considered important that citizens be "well educated." However, what is happening in many schools these days indicates that we have lost site of this ideal.

Whether you want to be a programmer, a theoretical physicist, or a bum, there are things you need to learn to survive in your chosen role. You can learn some of those things in school. If you are raging against LEARNING then you are (usually) in trouble! Most people need to learn more than they know now to do well in life. Part of this is because things change and part of this is because people forget life-to-life and need to be reminded. There are some notable exceptions to this "rule", such as the girl who could paint professionally at about the age of ten. Yet even she revels in learning and wants to learn more.

If you "make it" though school you have passed a kind of social test. It's not about the subjects you studied. It's about your willingness to toe the line. If you want to be a rebel, be my guest. I very nearly dropped out of high school and didn't go to college, though I qualified. And now I'm unemployed. I learned from my choices, but don't tell me I didn't warn you!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by l_e_cox
It's wild to see this thread, started in 2008, dropped and then picked up again!

A lot of us are still wondering about this question. Though the OP seems a little overly provocative.

FIRST: There is a DIFFERENCE between SCHOOL and EDUCATION.

If you go to school, you might get an education. Or you might not. Depends on a lot of factors. These days, most of us aren't "farm boys" any more. If you can get on the internet you can get some sort of an education.

But schools go beyond that. They arose out of a strongly-held belief that youth need guidance and mentoring from wise adults if they are to do well in the world. In many cases this was a class thing, too. A school was a way of testing the child to see if he could make it in the same social echelon as his parents, and if so, what the basic rules were. I think the education factor was there mostly just to keep the kids coming, because most kids like to learn stuff. At the level of idealism, it is considered important that citizens be "well educated." However, what is happening in many schools these days indicates that we have lost site of this ideal.

Whether you want to be a programmer, a theoretical physicist, or a bum, there are things you need to learn to survive in your chosen role. You can learn some of those things in school. If you are raging against LEARNING then you are (usually) in trouble! Most people need to learn more than they know now to do well in life. Part of this is because things change and part of this is because people forget life-to-life and need to be reminded. There are some notable exceptions to this "rule", such as the girl who could paint professionally at about the age of ten. Yet even she revels in learning and wants to learn more.

If you "make it" though school you have passed a kind of social test. It's not about the subjects you studied. It's about your willingness to toe the line. If you want to be a rebel, be my guest. I very nearly dropped out of high school and didn't go to college, though I qualified. And now I'm unemployed. I learned from my choices, but don't tell me I didn't warn you!

Strongly Agreed ^

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
why not try home schooling? Or have your high school student take the GED and get a useful job like plumbing or mechanics.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You do not need school! That is a lie! You need education and knowledge. The school system is set to work against you, in that it propels you into a life of servitude.Few ever break the cycle!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I used to be smart; I used to finish assignments before the teacher had finished handing them out to the entire 30 student class.

I would get bored and read my text books. I would read anytime there was nothing else to do in class, which was very often. I can't help but feel that had I gone straight to college, rather than attending high school, I would still be smart. High school rotted my brain.

For instance, as a senior in high school I took anatomy and physiology. One day in class we were given a paper with a visible human drawn on it. The organs of the digestive system were labeled. The teacher told us we were to memorize these organs and their basic functions. She then handed out crayons and told us to color each organ a different color because it will help us memorize them. Now, myself not being a simpleton felt like I was being talked down to... all I heard was... Here waste your time coloring like a damn kindergarten class while I sit behind my desk and watch the clock!

I refused to color, and instead stared at the paper for about 5 minutes, closed my eyes and tried to recall the organs and their functions. I had it all memorized no problem! She asked why I wasn't coloring and I said I didn't need to I had it memorized. She insisted I color, I refused and asked if it would be graded. Of course it wouldn't be graded. I said "This is retarded." and walked out of class to go hang out down the hall in Physics.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

I always thought of high school as a demo.
You get to take classes that are pretty short in the grand scheme, figure out the stuff you like, and then once out of high school, you get to pay to go into more depth!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I agree with Tesla, in school, they teach you useless things. They also teach some very important things, i understand. BUT... if i wanted to be in construction, i should be taking, math, tech, etc.
NOT biology, science, history, geography.
I just think the way they have changed the schools is complete Bulls*.
You should be able, at lets say the middle of public school, decide what you want your career to be.
Then, the schooling system decides whats the best courses that you NEED (not what they want you to learn).
And from then on, you are on your war to becoming what YOU wanted to be. not what THEY want you to be.
Im not saying everything is bad about school, im just saying that the way they have people making money and getting jobs (school) is idiotic. We shouldn't have to rely on school to put food in our bellies in the future.
We should be able to learn to live, a different way, like my ancestors did. Hunt, and fish. If i had've grown up, with my dad taking me out everyday to learn more about tracking and hunting, id have no problem living. But today, pffft what a JOKE.

What are you going to eat, when the grocery stores are gone, theres no internet and you dont know how to hunt,track,trap an animal to put food in your stomache.
ask yourself this.
DID SCHOOL TEACH ME?

And thats, why i pity today's society, and who made it what it is.
This is just my opinion.

SORRY DIDNT CHECK THE DATE ON THE POSTS, DELETE IF I SHOULDNT OF POSTED IN THIS THREAD.

edit on 8-9-2011 by Anishnaabe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join