It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do we need school?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
reply to post by ConservativeJack

lol that was a great post. unfortuantely i most confess that i came to high school with the thought that i was there to learn 3 years later i feel as if im losing IQ points.

as for the classes thing i just might do that. i rather get a high grade in a stupid class then a low grade in a smart class. the diploma is the same and if anything it'll give me more time to actually learn something of use.

Definitely get a meeting with your Guidance Counselor. For the spring semester ask him if you can get into some lower level things.

You have to empower yourself you are at that age where you can make decisions for yourself. I know if I was you I would downgrade my classes. I took the MINIMAL amount of math you needed to graduate. Like 4 total classes. And every year I took science which was usually the only hard class,
so in 10th grade I switched the level to "academic" and the teacher talked to me like I had the IQ of a small child.

Needless to say, I got an A in science every year!

I took the on level political classes they were easy.
Below level math and science.
Below level spanish and english.
Electives I asked around and just through interaction I knew who were the easiest teachers and I took the easiest electives, guitar and some art class where you make stuff with clay. among a whole bunch of forgettable electives.

Yes my friend, high school is stupid and immensely non stimulating. But thats not a bad thing.

Sometimes you have to look at the glass half full.

You got it easy. You can have it even EASIER if you want to drop your class levels.

If your school lets upper class man leave school EARLY if they have free period 7th or 8th, you HAVE to sign up for that.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by ConservativeJack]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by N. Tesla

useless knowledge? I find nothing wrong with your criticism of school. I, for one, also found school to be full of redundancy and boredom. However, everything I learn and that I can continue to learn is beneficial for me as a person. This helps to think outside of the box, something that you say your teacher doesn't permit. How many game shows have you seen where the winner is somebody who able to answer a question with some useless knowledge? How many things have been invented because somebody had useless knowledge that they were able to connect to useful knowledge to produce a fine product? IMO, there is no such thing as useless knowledge. One may never use that knowledge, but it will always be there in case they have to.

True, my wife keeps telling me I need to go on are you smarter then a 5th grader because I have only missed one question since it started airing. The waiting list just to get screened is horrendous and then if you aren't lively or have an exciting story you won't get on.

My bad off topic rant...........carry on.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
People agree that's where Anarchists belong though.

so thats why im like this
. unforunantely these days anarchists means someone who hates the government. i think of an anarchist as a person who goes against the norm to benefit himself or society.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

People agree that's where Anarchists belong though.

so thats why im like this
. unforunantely these days anarchists means someone who hates the government. i think of an anarchist as a person who goes against the norm to benefit himself or society.

Yeah i'm both of those haha.

But I tried to learn and benefit from both HS and College. But if you have "different" beliefs, ways of thinking, or political stance people make it a helluva alot harder for you to learn or benefit from their structured way of learning.

Like I major in Psychology, and yet I have to take 2 math classes, and biology. I don't see how knowing what 2+2 is has to do with Psych.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Um I believe you are a junior in high school, not have a junior.

The thing that strikes me most about this attitude is that the things you are asked to do at school are not different than the things you will be asked to do for work once you are in the real world.

Being on time, showing up, doing the things you don't really want to do and aren't even in your job description, dealing with a jerk boss...all of those things translate directly from school to real life.

If you don't know your history you won't know why the world is the way it is today. History is all about context.

English is the most important class you have. Proper grammar, reading comprehension and analytical thinking are of the utmost importance when trying to succeed in the adult world.

A basic understanding of math and science may seem useless but they are building a foundation for both college and/or technical real world skills.

You don't need necessarily need traditional school, but you do need an education.

whether it is self taught, home schooled or done the traditional way in public schools.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

exactly my point. if you want to work with numbers go do math. if you want to be a psychiatrist go learn psychology. i dont see why everyone has to learn the same thing even if it has nothing to do with their career choice.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

you have to take math as a psych major because psychologists have to be able to read, create, and interpret statistics.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well, I'm from the UK, so I know my schooling life was different to yours. Only 6 hours a day for one...

But...

English: I can spell correctly (Most of the time
), I know how to organise things I write, I can read well, The list goes on...

Maths: I use this most days, for money and for games mainly.

Science: Well physics and chemistry don't help me immensly, but Biology does. I know how I work, and wehat can happen when I abuse my body with alcohol, ciggarettes etc...

French: No real use to me I'll admit.

History: I know what has happened in the past, and it gives me a great insight as to what is happening today.

Religious Studies: No real use I'll admit.

P.E: Need I explain?

ICT: Most jobs nowadays will require some sort of computer knowledge, this helps greatly. I know more than my father who works in IT.

Design Technology: Some basic skills in woodwork, will almost certainly come in handy at some point.

These are lessons I did after my options... So I no longer had to do, cooking, clothing desing, Spanish, Geography.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Well so do millions of other people who become Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers and Scientist!

Dont blame your lack of applying yourself on a school system thats a cop out!

Yes some school systems need improvement no arguement there

Look Man... The OP is trying to illustrate one point.... and one point only.

We all believe in a WELL-ROUNDED-EDUCATION... but by todays standards it's getting out of control.

Instead of being able work an extra three hours a week to help pay the bills, I have to study Greek Mythology and French Poetry instead?

I have to study Calculus for 5 hours a week instead of focusing on my real passion which is creative writing and journalism.

It's like telling a NFL quarterback that he needs to learn how to play Linebacker because somewhere down he road, he might want to change his job from throwing passes to tackling 220 lb. running back in the future.

I think you can easily eliminate 40% of average American's high school education and redirect that time saved to focus on the strengths and needs of that particular individual.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I know where I live there is a Vo-tech program for kids who have a clear goal in mind career wise. As a junior and/or senior you take your basic credits like math and english during half of the day and the other half you are doing something like Child development or culinary school, or drafting and design or mechanic classes, even medical field classes By the time you graduate you are certified to some point and may even have quite a bit of college credit.

link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

that's a very nice analogy with the quarterback and thats exactly what i mean. if you know what you want to do in life then why must you spend your time doing something that will never benefit you.

and its not even that. students who are geniunely good at something are forced to toe the line to make it look as though the other kids are just as good.

link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Well so do millions of other people who become Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers and Scientist!

Dont blame your lack of applying yourself on a school system thats a cop out!

Yes some school systems need improvement no arguement there

Look Man... The OP is trying to illustrate one point.... and one point only.

We all believe in a WELL-ROUNDED-EDUCATION... but by todays standards it's getting out of control.

Instead of being able work an extra three hours a week to help pay the bills, I have to study Greek Mythology and French Poetry instead?

I have to study Calculus for 5 hours a week instead of focusing on my real passion which is creative writing and journalism.

It's like telling a NFL quarterback that he needs to learn how to play Linebacker because somewhere down he road, he might want to change his job from throwing passes to tackling 220 lb. running back in the future.

I think you can easily eliminate 40% of average American's high school education and redirect that time saved to focus on the strengths and needs of that particular individual.

No offense to you but

You dont HAVE to take Calculus unless you are a calc major.

Take a LOWER LEVEL math.

You just have to FILL OUT the REQUIREMENTS.

Dont take Greek Methology, that's REDICULOUS! Take a POLITICAL SCIENCE .

Who is advising you to take such hard GEN ED classes?

Because for your MAJOR, you have to take GENERAL EDUCATION credits, but you do not have to take SUPER SPECIAL classes. Take the BASIC Gen Eds.

Unless the class is a MAJOR REQUIREMENT CLASS (Theres only a few of them), like Psych 100 would be for you, DONT TAKE IT. I know for a fact Greek Meth and Calculus are not requirements for Psych.

Go to ratemyprofessor.com

its your best friend. I have saved countless hours of work by scouting ahead of semester and picking the EASIEST professors and most LIKED.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by ConservativeJack]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This is an interesting post! Started by someone I have grown to keep an eye out for here on ATS! It's a 50/50 standing. I think most would say that education is good, but to learn ONLY what "they" (school) tell you to iss not. I'll try to give my take on a joke...

A guy is working at McDs and the manager brings him a mop and says "Can you mop the back room?" The employee says "I graduated from college with honors..." The manager retorted "Oh, let me show you how then..."

I think learning is obviously needed. But I think to limit the general knowledge gained from school is a bit narrowing. School rarely allows it's students to think anymore. And how can anyone take a testing seriosly called SOLs?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

damn jack you should write a book on this stuff. scouting ahead jumping though loop holes its almost like "they" sent you. all good advice that i will try to keep in mind

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

You can't compare work and school haha. People tell me that all the time.

What exactly are you getting out of high school? Ask any teenager. They can't give you an answer.

Now working at Wendys everyday what are you getting out of that? MONEY. Big difference. I'm encouraged to show up to work on time, and do a good job, because their paying me.

I learned that I have gotten more out of working 40 hours a week at wally world than high school ever got me.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

reply to post by gluetrap

You can't compare work and school haha. People tell me that all the time.

What exactly are you getting out of high school? Ask any teenager. They can't give you an answer.

Now working at Wendys everyday what are you getting out of that? MONEY. Big difference. I'm encouraged to show up to work on time, and do a good job, because their paying me.

I learned that I have gotten more out of working 40 hours a week at wally world than high school ever got me.

if i was paid to learn i wouldnt leave school. money is a major factor. i would do alot of things for a reward. but spending 8 hours a day in a place with no reward of of any beneficail value well thats just uncalled for.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
May I ask what you do for a part time job after school and on Saturdays? You seem so bright and have all the answers I am sure you've had many offers for work. Have you not?

What are your chores at home? Do you do the very best you are able to to complete those chores efficiently and with a good attitude?

I think you are a lost puppy that has no idea how to get where you want to go. You want something , like freedom of choice for your future vocation, you must be smarter than the average person and outsmart the public school system.

If you are as intelligent as you think you are then you should make perfect grades all the way in every class.........no exceptions. It is very possible to skip grades and graduate from high school early if you excel.

My parents understood that I absolutely hated school. Early on I knew I had to make good grades and go to college, not get pregnant out of wedlock and give them no back talk. I knew adhering to their rules was my only profitable way out of a miserable situation.

Stop complaining, get with the program, keep thinking out of the box but let your educators and parents think you are conforming. You will gain a quiet pleasure knowing you are playing the game by your rules and using them to your advantage.

Life is a game.......play by your rules with no one knowing you are doing so until the time is right to rise above the crowd. If you are smart enough to do that then you will have accomplished your original goal.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

damn jack you should write a book on this stuff. scouting ahead jumping though loop holes its almost like "they" sent you. all good advice that i will try to keep in mind

Haha I would write a book but nobody would want to read it.

I'm going to class. But I think you know what you should do. Stick with it. Life is about doing some stuff you don't want to do in order to get what you want.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

But a Doctor who studied hard all the way through school and went into further education will have gotten more out of school than you did from your work at wally world.

It all depends on how you treat it.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye

But a Doctor who studied hard all the way through school and went into further education will have gotten more out of school than you did from your work at wally world.

It all depends on how you treat it.

but not everyone wants to be a doctor.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join