It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NDP, Bloc in coalition talks before fiscal update: tape

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

NDP, Bloc in coalition talks before fiscal update: tape

The New Democrats and Bloc Quebecois held talks to form a coalition party well before the opposition's uproar over the government's fiscal update, CTV News has learned.

NDP Leader Jack Layton was in talks with Bloc Leader Gilles Duceppe for a "considerable period of time," reported CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife on Sunday.

Layton held a telephone-conference meeting with his caucus Saturday morning that was recorded by a Conservative member. According to the audio tape, Layton appears to take credit for the possibility of a coalition.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cbc.ca

[edit: snippet & title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Canada just had a national election less then 2 months ago. Now since the Conservative Government is using a wait and see attitude the parties that lost are trying to oust them.

Normally this would be acceptable but in this case they have teamed up with the Bloc Quebecois a party that has already had votes in Quebec to seperate from Canada.

This in the USA would be "Treason"

Power grab a the worst possible time! Just watch the already shaky but stable in comparison to other G8 economy go down the tubes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
wow. alarmist title.

seperatists voting for secession is NOT treason in the states. some states are considering it. if the people of quebec want to seperate, it is their right. they live there. alberta has a lot of seperatists, too.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by unruly1
Canada just had a national election less then 2 months ago. Now since the Conservative Government is using a wait and see attitude the parties that lost are trying to oust them.

A coalition government is a legitimate response to the election results. More people voted against Harper than for him. besides, he already knows where all the washrooms in Stornaway, so I'm not gonna cry for him.

The BQ will not get any Cabinet seats. Harper had the same conversationl with them when he was in oppostion. Tough noogies.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The opposition parties are taking a completely legitimate step. In fact, PM Harper tried the same thing in 2004. It's nothing new. In fact, our constitution allows for it. The opposition parties represent slightly more than 60% of Canadian voters. In a way, this will allows for a better reflection of Canadian wishes than the current minority gov't.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Woah there... lol.

You were quick to start getting angry, but you didn't make it clear for our foreign members exactly what you're angry at.

So I'll give a little back story.

A couple of months ago, the Canadian Federal Election was held.
It was held early because of threats from the opposition "Liberal" party to enact a vote of no confidence, claiming that the Canadian public doesn't trust the Conservative party.
The conservative party in return, pushed to have the election early to see what the people want.
The people voted the Conservatives right back into power.
Conservatives 143 seats
Liberals 77 seats
Bloq Quebecois 49 seats
New Democratic Party 37 seats
Independents 2 seats

Obviously the liberals were wrong, and the people did trust the Conservative party. The Liberal party also lost seats due to that election.

Well, Stephane Dion, the Liberal leader, didn't take too kindly to this. He can't seem to get over the fact that the people don't want him in power, and he's been making the usual threats again. He's been threatening to start a vote of no confidence and take parliament by default... which is only supposed to be used in the event of corruption or failure.

People didn't like the idea of being told a party is trying to sidestep their votes, and well, their voices are being heard.

So now Dion is trying a different strategy (all his strategies involve him being prime minister).
Now Dion wants to unite the Liberal party with another party to gain seat control over the parliament.

Remember those numbers?
Conservatives 143 seats
Liberals 77 seats
Bloq Quebecois 49 seats
New Democratic Party 37 seats
Independents 2 seats

In order to outvote the Conservatives he would have to unite the Liberals with the Bloq Quebecois, AND the New Democratic Party.

If you think this would work, you haven't seen them bicker. It's like they just killed each others respective mother and sat down to talk about it... these guys don't get along.

(And yes, the Bloq Quebecois' main goal is to separate Quebec from Canada... how they keep getting seats is beyond me.)

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
From what I understand, Harper was trying to cut every party's budget. You know the money they get when you vote for someone.

In turn political enemy's turned into temporary allies to overthrow the decision. I say thats pretty close to Illegal practice. I even think their checking on its validity as a legal action.

We are allready spending way too much on these political partys that no one really cares about. Most of the people I hear around me.... are just voting for someone because they dont want to loose their vote. And on the last election, didnt vote for their favorite candidate but against the one they hated. Result: No change from Harpers last madate. Still in minority and on the verdge of being kicked out every time someone doesnt apreciate a decision. So what if they get less money.... were allready the most taxed people on the planet..... I say none of them deserve our attention until they start caring for health.

Most of you might not know this, but I know people that are affraid of taking a visit to the hospital. First theyre overcrowded and secondly some of them come out with C-DIFICIL or Whatever virus. People are affraid to consult a hospital here in quebec city..... And these pardon the expression.... but morrrrrons fight over who has power........

Well yup.... its an illegal procedure from my standpoint....

(sorry for all that rage popping out all of a sudden but it sure felt good...)

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by unruly1

Treason ?

No taxation without representation.

I vote for whoever I want. If they don't want the Bloc in the chamber, then we shouldn't have to pay any federal taxes either.

What M. Harper has made by taping telephone line, reording private meeting; would be called in the USA : NIXONISM.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Thanks for the clarifications! Mad as hell? You bet! Joining together to get rid of a bad party. Sure. But to have to unite with seperatists NO!

reply to post by johnsky

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by KpxMarMoTT

I'm happy KPXMARMO that you feel free now.

May I suggest that you are a little bit confused, Hospitals are provincial jurisdiction, not federal. I don't trust much political parties. That does'nt means I don't care about, since they will very take care about you......for your interrests, but mostly for theirs.

I don't see where your standpoint is, about a coalition governement being illegal ?

Her Majesty appoints a governement, this goevrement must work by confidence by having a majority of MP members to support it. That's all.

It doesn't matters how is composed the goverment has long, it maintains the Chamber confidence.

Confidence may be removed, on a motion by opposition, on financial bill such as budget, or by will of the governing side.

Losing it....leads Her majesty or Her representative to ask if some parties could gain the confidence of the chamber in such a way that they could form a new government for a reasonnable time. If not, an election must be called.

We would'nt be to that point, if Harper had respected is OWN word and OWN law about elections in oct. 2009.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nimrod
Treason ?

No taxation without representation.

I vote for whoever I want. If they don't want the Bloc in the chamber, then we shouldn't have to pay any federal taxes either.

Oh please. We all have to pay our federal taxes. And guess where a lot of mine goes? Right, Quebec. This mentality is what's got our nation in the shape it is in now. As far as I'm concerned this issue was settle on The Plains of Abraham. That said, we are ALL Canadians, it's about time we ALL acted like it.

What M. Harper has made by taping telephone line, reording private meeting; would be called in the USA : NIXONISM.

You're surprised? I'm not.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by KpxMarMoTT
Well yup.... its an illegal procedure from my standpoint....

From the front page of the Toronto Star, Sunday, Nov. 30, 2008:
2008:September 9, 2004
"We respectfully point out that the opposition parties, who together constitute a majority in the house, have been in close consultation. We believe that, should a request for dissolution arise this should give you cause as constituional practice has determined, to consult the opposition leaders and consider all of your options before exercising your constitutional authority"
Excerpt from a letter to then Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, signed by all three opposition leaders: Duceppe, Layton and Harper.

Which is to say that Harper and his Tories should quit crying because the tactic they had contemplated using on a Liberal minority is now being considered for their own government.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
They're all crooked little people with their dirty little fingers grovelling over the money we make to line the pockets of their cronies.

They should all shut up, do their jobs and work for the betterment of the country.

I hardly believe any coalition containing the Bloc will do that.

Mark my words . . . if this comes to pass, the next government will be a clear and undeniable Conservative majority.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Nimrod thanks for asking..... I do feel a lot less weight on my shoulders.

As for the hospitals being funded by provincial or federal... you are right on that mark that maybe I got a little carried away. Just seems like its a bit weird that we would have to vote again.... Each time this happens we loose a lot of money. Im not quite sure how much is given away to make it possible. But I believe this is a considerable amount.

If we look at the financial issues we allready had, I feel that it is a waste of time and ressources. I know harper is not that good a PM. But even so doesnt it strike out as odd that they all converge all of a sudden. The liberal party was playing a game of chicken with the PM.... Now that they have placed foot in mouth; They can no longer back off.

correct me if im wrong cause as you may have allready acertained... im not that good with politics.... just thought id try to say something.......

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
[Oh please. We all have to pay our federal taxes. And guess where a lot of mine goes? Right, Quebec.This mentality is what's got our nation in the shape it is in now. As far as I'm concerned this issue was settle on The Plains of Abraham. That said, we are ALL Canadians, it's about time we ALL acted like it.

[You're surprised? I'm not.

But, I am most surprised about Harper showing publicly evidence of illegal activity from his part....He is been reported being a control freak. That is Nixonism with a Bush minding....no way.

On the other hand, I am not all surprised, not at all, by your comments since I know where your taxes go.

Why don't you ask the greeks being Turkish, since it should have been settled in 1453. May I politly suggest you some revision of our magnificent common history.

I know many would say: a coalition with the separatist NEVER.

IF it may bring to you some confort, I am less than happy to support M. Dion and I am sure not be alone.

Times are too ''heavy'' to leave Harper in place. We will have to deal this issue togheter.

That's what I call National Unity .

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky Stephane Dion...can't seem to get over the fact that the people don't want him in power, and he's been making the usual threats again. He's been threatening to start a vote of no confidence and take parliament by default... which is only supposed to be used in the event of corruption or failure.

Excuse me, but did Harper not spend the last 3 years taunting the Liberals to make a move? I know they did because Dion drove me nuts by sitting on his hands. Harper's bluff finally gets called and Tories weep. Jeez, if I could get over Harpers re-election without peeing and moaning, the Tories should be able to get over the potential of him being legally and constitutionally dumped.

Why was it not an issue when Harper supported that process in '04.

Get over it.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

My problem with all of this is that the PCs have been in power a total of 6 days. How is this not sour grapes?

If some of the ideas that the Liberals and NDP had during the election come to pass at the cost of Alberta and Saskatchewan, there will be backlash.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
If some of the ideas that the Liberals and NDP had during the election come to pass at the cost of Alberta and Saskatchewan, there will be backlash.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Where was this concern for the regions back in the 80's when the economy of the Eastern provinces were sold to international interests for the good of the country? Everyone wants their own. Suck it up and realize that we are all in the same boat. Or, go to Nova Scotia and see if you can make what you are out west. Not to mention having to your home to make a living.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

My problem with all of this is that the PCs have been in power a total of 6 days. How is this not sour grapes?

I just want to point out that the Conservative party of today is not the PC party. Very far from it.

On topic, I don't agree with this move at all. The Conservatives won the election, let them govern.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Where was this concern for the regions back in the 80's when the economy of the Eastern provinces were sold to international interests for the good of the country? Everyone wants their own. Suck it up and realize that we are all in the same boat. Or, go to Nova Scotia and see if you can make what you are out west. Not to mention having to your home to make a living.

Um...no we are not in the same boat. The West is treated as a colony for Eastern Canada. As far as conditions out East, if you don't like it, leave, simple enough. No one is forcing you stay there. I know lots of people who have done it.

Maybe we are in the same boat, but then wouldn't that mean that everyone that supports this should suck it up and live with a Conservative government for the next 2 years.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join