It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK 'closer' to adopting the euro

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
How in the world...!?!?!?! Jeeze! How many times do the citizens of Europe have to shoot this thing down?!

Every time it comes clost to voting for this, the media spews forth how great it is and how every other person in Europe want and need this, however, it gets shot down. But it stays on the books. If this is not a true sign of the New World Order... I don't know what is!

Yes, it's sad, but we too in America will soon be hearing about this same issue. The sad part, I think it'll pass first time. It's depressing, but I think it will.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by TSOM87
On Topic: Can anyone tell me why UK turned down the Euro in the first place?

It's down to the 'Five Tests' as laid out by Supreme Leader Gordon Brown.

There's a wiki page here.

I would say that under the above FIVE TESTS guidelines that the UK will in NO WAY be adopting the Euro in the near future. I would not be surprised if a few European nations decided to opt out of the Euro over the next coming years.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
I would not be surprised if a few European nations decided to opt out of the Euro over the next coming years.

That’s not an option, all EU members who joined since 2004 and any future members have an obligation to adopt the Euro, Sweden also must eventually adopt the Euro. They agreed to it and MUST adopt the currency. Some of the new countries have already adopted the currency (Slovenia, Malta, Cyprus) and Slovakia gets it in 1 month.

The only countries that had opt-out agreements were Denmark and the UK. Denmark have said they will eventually take it when the Danish people want it (referendum expected in 2009/2010) and the remaining EU countries without the Euro, Sweden, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, have to take it. Most have set dates already (latest being 2012).

So UK will eventually be the only EU member without the currency.

Mikey

[edit on 1/12/2008 by Mikey84]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikey84

So UK will eventually be the only EU member without the currency.

Mikey
[edit on 1/12/2008 by Mikey84]

Thank God. I like having our sovereignty.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Currency is a basic expression of sovereignty. If the UK adopts the Euro, the Westminster Parliament will surrender so much of its powers & influence to the EU it might as well just cease to exist. By us adopting the Euro the European Commission would quickly start extending its powers in many areas of our public life, the health system, social security, common security, tax & revenue raising. Without that brake which Westminster currently provides the EU will change the UK in ways we couldn't possibly imagine.

It's a decision which can only be taken once ... for once we adopt the Euro it'll be damn near impossible to extricate ourselves from it. And by adopting the Euro, Parliament would be binding the hands of future governments by preventing them from overturning the decision. That is anti-democratic and unconstitutional.

Perhaps being so incompetent with all things economic, the Labour government would be all too happy to see such matters passed to the EU ?

On Wednesday the State Opening Of Parliament takes place. In that ceremony a Parliamentary officer, Black Rod is sent by the Queen to summon members of the House of Commons to attend her in the House of Lords. He famously has the door slammed in his face as he approaches the Commons chamber ... a symbol of the independence of the Commons. Why are so many MP's so keen to give that up ? Who's lining their pockets ?

Independence is what the UK will lose by adopting the Euro, the ability to make decisions for ourselves. Independence is a great thing. That's why I'm a Scottish nationalist, I want the same independence for Scotland that I want for the UK, certainly when it comes to the Euro. It matters not whether we're richer or poorer by being independent ... the important thing is being able to decide things ourselves.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join