It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK 'closer' to adopting the euro

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   

UK 'closer' to adopting the euro

news.bbc.co.uk

The UK is "closer than ever before" to joining the euro, according to the president of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso.

Speaking on a French radio show, he said British politicians were considering the move because of the effects of the global credit crunch.

Mr Barroso has been told by British politicians they now favour the euro.

However Downing Street said its position on the euro remained the same.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Seems like an attempt at some NWO-style propaganda to me.

"The politicians fink is a gud idea, u shld 2 or ur dumb!"

The Global Crunch is doing good work for the European Union, it seems. I wonder who else will end up benefiting.

Anyone I've ever spoken to about it detests the idea, and I'll be honest, I do too. I like having the Queen's head on our currency, I like having Charles Darwin on a tenner, I like the Black Prince's feathers, Britannia, the Scottish thistle, and the NI harp on our coins. I like having St George on some of the celebratory ones.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
And sadly soon we will have the "Amero" over here in North America, and south america will have a common currency as well....dam we will see this starting up all around the world soon..

[edit on 1-12-2008 by lucidvisions]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I agree in a way, I don’t think the UK should take the Euro, personally I would prefer to see them removed from the EU all together, UK Citizens are happy to reap the benefits of the EU (freedom of movement – just look at all the Brits in Spain & France) but yet don’t like to be part of the EU (wont change to Metric, won’t change to Euro and whinge when EU citizens move to the UK).

Nothing to do with the NWO at all. Plus the UK only released a whole new set of coins this year, they have no plans on changing anytime soon. I wonder though, if Scotland get’s independence (possible referendum in 2010) would they keep the pound or adopt the Euro?

I have nothing against the UK (I’m also a British citizen), but to me It just seems the UK only likes the EU when it suits them.

You can’t have your cake and eat it!

Mikey

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mikey84
I agree in a way, I don’t think the UK should take the Euro, personally I would prefer to see them removed from the EU all together, UK Citizens are happy to reap the benefits of the EU (freedom of movement – just look at all the Brits in Spain & France) but yet don’t like to be part of the EU (wont change to Metric, won’t change to Euro and whinge when EU citizens move to the UK).

Nothing to do with the NWO at all. Plus the UK only released a whole new set of coins this year, they have no plans on changing anytime soon. I wonder though, if Scotland get’s independence (possible referendum in 2010) would they keep the pound or adopt the Euro?

I have nothing against the UK (I’m also a British citizen), but to me It just seems the UK only likes the EU when it suits them.

Mikey

I think Britain has been more pressured into it's current relationship than anything else. I think we would be happy to leave the EU, but at the moment we still contribute vast amounts of money, so we should be able to reap at least some benefits from it.

Scotland couldn't survive outside of the UK and maintain it's current standards of living (which are remarkably higher than England, with free medicines, free education etc) - it's not going to happen. They know it, they just don't like admitting it to us English bastards.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   

To be fair, I think that's the case with everyone within any of the European partnerships. Very few people like to be in deals where they actually lose out. I remember reading a fairly good analysis some time last year that concluded we get shafted on a fairly regular basis by our involvements in EU partnerships.

Unless you're the French and German EU members.

For example, just this week French have just spectacularly tried to renege on an agreement regarding farmers subsidies which cost the British taxpayer billions just to bring to the table. They've used their Presidency status to extend issues relating to CAP further than were initially bargained.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

Mikey

I think Britain has been more pressured into it's current relationship than anything else. I think we would be happy to leave the EU, but at the moment we still contribute vast amounts of money, so we should be able to reap at least some benefits from it.

Scotland couldn't survive outside of the UK and maintain it's current standards of living (which are remarkably higher than England, with free medicines, free education etc) - it's not going to happen. They know it, they just don't like admitting it to us English bastards.

Ahhh how true
I think there will be a time when its economically viable for Scotland too become independant,unless the SNP has some magical plan.I did vote for SNP though,but only because i knew they wouldn't get the vote for independance at this moment in time.But anyway,i think the euro is getting stronger all the time,and if it continues to i'd have no problem switching to it.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Ahhh how true
I think there will be a time when its economically viable for Scotland too become independant,unless the SNP has some magical plan.I did vote for SNP though,but only because i knew they wouldn't get the vote for independance at this moment in time.But anyway,i think the euro is getting stronger all the time,and if it continues to i'd have no problem switching to it.

Idiotic nationalism aside, its not viable. You'd be losing out on a huge sum from the rest of the UK and you'd have to pay money to the EU. Scotland's standard of living would plummet.

I think you're in the minority, thank goodness, because unity made Britain great. Without it, we achieved little.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Ahhh how true

Idiotic nationalism aside, its not viable. You'd be losing out on a huge sum from the rest of the UK and you'd have to pay money to the EU. Scotland's standard of living would plummet.

I think you're in the minority, thank goodness, because unity made Britain great. Without it, we achieved little.

That is why i said its not economically viable right now if you had read my post...and it has nothing to do with nationalism.I'd like scotland to govern scotland, devolution is great and all but not enough.And again...i already said its not viable right now so how am i in the *minority*,i dont want independance right now...in the future,yes.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
It is more liekly because of the credit crunch?
Thats a lie.

The recent tax drop...cost businesses hundreds sorting out computer systems, pricing etc.

My mother works for a relatively small business, perhaps 100 packages a day shipped out. (Though they are worth a fair bit) . She told me it took 2 days and hundreds of pounds to make things work. And they have a dedicated IT team.

Imagine changing the currency completely. Not only is it not just a case of changin £1 to 1 Euro, nor a matter of changing £1 to 1.19 Euros. Prices would have to match very closesly that of France at least... or many companies would lose lots of business as people buy from abroad now there is no hassle of changing currency at all.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Ahhh how true

That is why i said its not economically viable right now if you had read my post...and it has nothing to do with nationalism.I'd like scotland to govern scotland, devolution is great and all but not enough.And again...i already said its not viable right now so how am i in the *minority*,i dont want independance right now...in the future,yes.

I didn't mean to touch a nerve, here, but Scotland gave us the current Prime Minister, so it's not like you aren't getting a say, is it?

And I said I think you are in the minority (note I'm not emphasising this to demean you, or anything as silly, which is what you seem to be implying by over emphasising it) because more Scottish people think it's smarter to stay in the UK and reap the benefits, than make plans to leave.

I also think you need to remove the "right now" from your post. It is just not economically viable for Scotland to leave the UK and join the EU. You can't afford it and have the same quality of life as you enjoy now.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Ahhh how true

I didn't mean to touch a nerve, here, but Scotland gave us the current Prime Minister, so it's not like you aren't getting a say, is it?

And I said I think you are in the minority (note I'm not emphasising this to demean you, or anything as silly, which is what you seem to be implying by over emphasising it) because more Scottish people think it's smarter to stay in the UK and reap the benefits, than make plans to leave.

I also think you need to remove the "right now" from your post. It is just not economically viable for Scotland to leave the UK and join the EU. You can't afford it and have the same quality of life as you enjoy now.

Future i said,right now or even in 15 to 20 years time we couldnt become independant without our living standards dropping signifcantly i understand what you are saying,but when our economy is stronger,and our population actually passes 5 million i think it would be feasable...anyway going off topic,more powers for our parliament right now wouldnt hurt though.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Economically, it is suicidal for the UK to leave the European Union. Most of our commerce and industry is linked to Europe, eradicating the link to Europe would have disasters consequences for the United Kingdom.

Our entry to the Euro will occur soon. We have no choice, the Sterling is no longer a strong currency and the United Kingdom economy - especially manufacturing - needs the Euro.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I haven't heard any wobbles here at work about the Euro lately (I work for the Bank of England) but there was a couple of years ago though, we had to clear a couplf of vaults out in case we started stocking Euro notes.
I can't see it happening yet though , but to be honest everythings up in the air here at present.

I Can see the UK accepting the Euro (under duress - like the European weights system)( which if you don't use you can be prosecuted which is bollux ) , it will pave the way for a single world currency as the 'credit crunch' is a fabricated means to make the populace panic and then the Governments can step up and say "Dont panic , we'll save you" but in order for them to 'save us' we'll have to adopt their way of thinking like the good little sheeple we are.

I for one love my country the UK , but see it divided by the rich vs the poor , it will be liek the victorian times when the rich told the civilians what to do, and the civilians took what was given grudgingly.

The credit crunch was down to poor management from various companies and Governments , I know for a fact that the UK government wastes millions if not billions a year on bogus scams to line their own nests. A few examples - FACT - 3 £1500 sofas for an office that no-one uses, to be thrown away , FACT - a guy ( I wont say what deptartment) DEMANDS an air purification system for his office ( as he has 'breathing problems' , The Dept. spends £25,000 getting it set up and then the guy in question has to open the window 'coz its too hot', FACT - a cleaning company charges £10,000 for a meeting with this deptartment which lasts an hour, the Dept. pays up ( I will not say what Dept, as someone I know works for them).

And thats not even including all the money wasted on benefit claims thieves and people who have applied for 'winter bills' reclaiming even though they are living in Spain?.

This country prides itself on being a civilised country that worries about its population but look at the facts of the ineptitude and waste, An Afghan family given ( now taken out of ) a million pound home and given £15,000 a month in benefits, A homeless English soldier not being given any help at all ( because he doesn't have a home. The troops abroad fighting for our freedom not having the right equipment or enough ammunition yet families claiming social benefits in teh thousands a month. Does that sound like professionalism on behalf of the Government?.
The Credit crunch is all down to wasting money hand over fist to 'look' good when they should have been watching what they were spending, too much bad management allround if you ask me. The Euro isn't strong or reliable enough to be issued to the UK , but I still say its another step to a single world currency. I know that President Brown and The Governor made ripples about a single world currency a few weeks ago , and if they do we'll all gonna be lined up to the foodqueues , ready to recieve what the state wants to give us, Long live the Communist state of England, erm I mean the UK and its green and pleseant land...

[edit on 1/12/08 by DataWraith]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lucidvisions

"sadly soon we will have the "Amero" over here in North America"

Canada's banking system is the 'soundest' in the world. Any merger would bring de facto ruination to our system automatically rendering one of the worst in the world.

Canadians are far more patriotic than Americans - they won't allow the takeover of their country as easily as you think. (A prime example is what happens when a soldier dies and We line the roads and highways in the thousands as they return home.)

You are also discounting the Quebecois, who would never join any such union and who would likely break away and become their own Nation-sate.

Canadians would not allow this to happens and would foresee it - enabling them to make the appropriate decision and take the action necessary to prevent any such merger would act a a precursor to the separation of Quebec.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by Canadianduder]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Our entry to the Euro will occur soon. We have no choice, the Sterling is no longer a strong currency and the United Kingdom economy - especially manufacturing - needs the Euro.

We have "manufacturing"? Cripes! Just how long was I asleep for?

I don't think we have any option either, but it's not hard to see centuries old grudges being played out under the heading of 'European Union'. You'd think it was 1808 rather than 2008 given what comes out of it.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I thought about this Months ago, I mean their obsticle has mainly been convicing the British Public, the reason why they didn't have a referendum in the 90's when Gordon Brown then was pushing for it was the general feeling was the UK, espcially England didn't want to loose our heritage or independance. Hmmn, funny isn't it, that it is surfacing again when public can't really afford to disagree when there put in a position where the alternative is like committing financial suicide. I think it was all planned!

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980
I thought about this Months ago, I mean their obsticle has mainly been convicing the British Public, the reason why they didn't have a referendum in the 90's when Gordon Brown then was pushing for it was the general feeling was the UK, espcially England didn't want to loose our heritage or independance. Hmmn, funny isn't it, that it is surfacing again when public can't really afford to disagree when there put in a position where the alternative is like committing financial suicide. I think it was all planned!

Most of the world-changing events of the past century or so have been planned, I suspect. There are just too many coincidences, and too much money being made by the people at the top, who work so hard to keep their identities secret.

I don't want to go all David Icke on anyone, but, if the shoe fits...

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Off Topic: I have allways thought that Scotland going Solo would harm them big time! Me as Scotsman would like to see the UK stay intact! We are stronger together! Oh...and i don't hate the English!

On Topic: Can anyone tell me why UK turned down the Euro in the first place?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TSOM87
On Topic: Can anyone tell me why UK turned down the Euro in the first place?

It's down to the 'Five Tests' as laid out by Supreme Leader Gordon Brown.

There's a wiki page here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join