It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Russia to Upgrade Missiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Report: Russia to Upgrade Missiles

www.nytimes.com

A top Russian general is quoted as saying the military will upgrade its missiles in response to U.S. plans to deploy weapons in space.

Interfax news agency quotes Col.-Gen. Nikolai Solovtsov as saying Russia's intercontinental ballistic missiles will be modernized to protect them from prospective space-based components of the U.S. missile defense system.

Solovtsov is the chief of Russia's Strategic Missile Forces.

Russian officials have criticized U.S. plans for space-based weapons, saying they could trigger a new arms race. Washington has resisted efforts by Russia and China to negotiate a global ban on weapons in space.

Solovtsov also reportedly said Monday that the military will commission new RS-24 missiles with multiple warheads.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The Russians were right in stating that the Poland missile shield is aimed at Russia. I think the Ruusians have acted in self defence.

Why is the US not agreeing to a space based weapons ban? If US decides to deploy missiles in space I am sure Russia will have no choice but to follow suit.

US is also trying to court ex Soviet states, we have an example in Ukraine and Georgia.

The only solution I see is that US addresses its Iran threat without using it as an excuse to deploy missiles against Russia.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The Cold War chess match has begun.
They will now wait for our new fearless leader to make the next move.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
The Cold War chess match has begun.
They will now wait for our new fearless leader to make the next move.

yup from statements made already the push here push there is starting to heat up again.

Try and push the new guy around didnt work with Kennedy wont work with Obama

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It's not a cold war chess. Now the US is superior and NATO is real, not like in the cold war where Europe would have been crushed easily by the soviets.

Now NATO is clearly at an advantage, that's why Russia changed their war doctrine. Their new doctrine is that they will use nukes in response to any attack on their forces by precision weapons... Like a F-22... or a cruise missile... or a JDAM...

Because they cannot match US army forces, to counter-balance, they'll have to use nukes... which makes nuclear war more likely.

And now that Obama's advisors will be once again in the White House, Brzezinski, the Russian hater, we can bet that the missile shield will be bigger and that Ukraine/Georgia membership to NATO will be proposed.

Their final aim is to destroy Russia. With a missile shield in it's final deployment phase, it will have thousands of interceptors... which goal will be to stop the Russian counter attack after NATO pre-emptively nuke Russia.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
All I know is that I'm ready to pack up what I need and head out to the countryside at the first serious mention of war between Russia and the U.S. to avoid the rain of nukes that would ensue. Then out of the country at the first mention of the draft.

[edit on 12/1/2008 by InterestedObserver]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
It's not a cold war chess. Now the US is superior and NATO is real, not like in the cold war where Europe would have been crushed easily by the soviets.

Would or could. NATO was more real then because France wasn't bollocksing around.

Now NATO is clearly at an advantage, that's why Russia changed their war doctrine. Their new doctrine is that they will use nukes in response to any attack on their forces by precision weapons... Like a F-22... or a cruise missile... or a JDAM...

Right, I'm British and don't want to hear unwarranted talk of nuclear attack. Who is going to attack them?

Because they cannot match US army forces, to counter-balance, they'll have to use nukes...

Right, you. Is that your people or just the little dictator walking around inside your head?

which makes nuclear war more likely.

Nah, thankfully you're not in government.

And now that Obama's advisors will be once again in the White House, Brzezinski, the Russian hater, we can bet

That is the operative word: 'bet'

that the missile shield will be bigger and that Ukraine/Georgia membership to NATO will be proposed. Their final aim is to destroy Russia. With a missile shield in it's final deployment phase, it will have thousands of interceptors... which goal will be to stop the Russian counter attack after NATO pre-emptively nuke Russia.

I've never heard such bollocks in my life.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by redled]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Would or could. NATO was more real then because France wasn't bollocksing around.

Still. Europe would have been crushed in a conventional war.

Right, I'm British and don't want to hear unwarranted talk of nuclear attack. Who is going to attack them?

Well, who started the war in South Ossetia? Georgia. Russia even moved nuclear weapons in the area and warned the US of any interventions or it would be war, nuclear war.

Right, you. Is that your people or just the little dictator walking around inside your head?

Maybe you should read their new military doctrine?

Nah, thankfully you're not in government.

I don't nuclear war either dumbo.

That is the operative word: 'bet'

Yeah, you don't know Brzezinski, otherwise you would know that he hates the russians above everything else, he lives to hate them.

I've never heard such bollocks in my life.

Well maybe you should read documents on the missile shield. And the RAND corporation suggestions to attack Russia to start the economy...

I'm not saying it will happen, i'm saying that Russia thinks it's possible, that the USA is going down a slipery slope with this missile shield. Russia won't be a US vassal ever. And also, history showed that Russia is only talked to when they are important... and the only way Russia is important is when they are at war or are a military superpower.

It seems like you think I want this to happen, are you crazy? I don't want anything like that to happen, I'm just saying that's why the russians are worried.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Well maybe you should read documents on the missile shield. And the RAND corporation suggestions to attack Russia to start the economy...

RAND is so John Nash. Try these videos, we're on your side.

Episode 1 (Worth Ten Minutes)

www.rewtube.com...

Episode 2 (The Theory)
www.rewtube.com...

Episode 3 (How we f**ked Russia and Iraq too!)
www.rewtube.com...

I'm not saying it will happen, i'm saying that Russia thinks it's possible, that the USA is going down a slipery slope with this missile shield. Russia won't be a US vassal ever. And also, history showed that Russia is only talked to when they are important... and the only way Russia is important is when they are at war or are a military superpower.

Obama has more of a point to prove to the white man than the Russian, don't sweat it.

It seems like you think I want this to happen, are you crazy? I don't want anything like that to happen, I'm just saying that's why the russians are worried.

We all are mate. Try the links.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I don't have time to watch your videos. Sorry for that.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

There were later points. Don't have such a sense of persecution. We allied against the aggression of the Communist State as seen in Eastern Europe, but Russia is a country and most of us wish you well and are unlikely to unite against you, no three hour viewing of films or not.

xx Democracy.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Reflecting Russia's suspicions about U.S. intentions, Solovtsov alleged Monday that the United States is considering a scenario of a first nuclear strike that would destroy most Russian missiles. A few surviving Russian weapons launched in retaliation could then be destroyed by the U.S. missile-defense system.

Solovtsov said the concept was not feasible.

"The Americans will never be able to implement this scenario, because Russian strategic nuclear forces, including the Strategic Missile Forces, will be capable of delivering a strike of retribution under any course of developments," he said, Interfax reported.

www.themoscowtimes.com...

This General sounds like he wants to go to war tomorrow. I'm getting the sense that a new Cold War is just about inevitable, the is a growing sense of pride in Russia, specially in the youth, I was reading the other day that young russians are really coming to dislike the U.S., so give or take 15 or 20 years and U.S./Russia relations could really hit a new low.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Well especially when they don't engage.

new topics

top topics

join