It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wireless connection Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Ever since I turned on my wireless using the free network where my job is i always get the "identifying network" message a lot longer than before. Is there anyway to reset my adapter other than using the standard Vista commands?

Also, is there any type of cable I can use to extend the reception of my wireless? My apartments installed free wireless near the pool and i'm close enough to get about 2 bars but it'd be nice if I could get more.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
You can buy directional antennas, that could help you pick up more than 2 bars - but it's not guaranteed... Idealy you would want to boost the power from the wifi hub - but considering it's not your that's not much help.

lol check out this cool you tube vid for a home-made one

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

I think that wireless repeaters could help you boost your signal strength as well. While I haven't had much success with them, a few coworkers of mine have been pretty successful using them.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I have the same problem of long connecting times at the university I go to. I have reasoned that the long connection time is because the router/access point is burdened with a lot of people using it. There's no real way to fix that unless you can get the apartment complex to install a better access point.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Sounds like your computer may be looking for your wireless connection at work. Maybe there is a setting where it automatically looks for it. Perhaps it has defaulted to your work connection, then if it cannot connect to it, it searches for other networks. Maybe this is where the extra time is coming in.

Without researching, it's a guess.

Troy

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
thanks, do you..off the top of your head; know how to reset wireless connections other than using standard vista commands such as "diagnose" and "properties"?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

Suppose it depends how you mean 'reset'. Cos I can physically push a pin into the little reset hole at the back of my router - but then again I can also pull the power.

Other than that you can dial into the router from your internet browser - usually something like 192.168.###.### - google your router model

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
i'm on free wireless from my apartments, and a laptop to boot. can i unplug my adapter somehow? i've removed/refreshed the device and it still reacts the same way.

after using the free wireless at work ONE TIME i get the message "identifying network" for a minute, sometimes two when connecting. it never happened before and seems to be affecting my connection since then.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
You did un-install the driver for the device in "device manager" right? Then re-install?

What about the wireless router software, besides the driver itself? Maybe this is holding the settings as they were. I think DELL has Quick-Set, which has other functions than just wireless settings. Other companies have their own software, I guess, and the Network card may come with it's own software other than the driver. You can also check the settings or un-install this software.

What it sounds like is it's set to "always connect to" or something like that.

See if you can check the properties of your different connections and see if there is a setting somewhere about "default connections," "always connect to," or something like that. You may be able to un-check a box that says, "remember this connection." What this does is automatically connect when it see this connection; maybe it's being buggy.

I don't use wireless very much at all. I have a wired connection, unless I bring in a laptop or something with a wireless connection to fix in my "shop." I'm just trying to steer you in a direction of things it might be.

So, basically if you can't fix things with settings. Just un-install the driver and the wireless card software, and put it back. I would think this could reset everything.

Troy

[edit on 7-12-2008 by cybertroy]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Here's a thought...

Have you compared your signal against others?? From one of your posts it sounded like you apartments also supplied the laptop?? (cos that sounds like a sweet deal ) - But that would also mean there are plenty of the same model laptop hanging around! - try yo get someone to log on in the areas you get low signal and have a look at theirs. You could have a bit of a hardware problem. If that is the case think carefully before you try to get it fixed under warranty! cos I used to fix Acer laptops that were sent back under warranty, some customers lost the use of their brand new laptops for like 6+ months the smallest problem - in your case you could get a USB wifi dongle for like £10-15 (or in american IDK)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
my work network was still set to auto connect.

click, done. hehe

thanks guys

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

Originally posted by Mozzy
Also, is there any type of cable I can use to extend the reception of my wireless? My apartments installed free wireless near the pool and i'm close enough to get about 2 bars but it'd be nice if I could get more.

.....as I sit here and watch the cold wet snow falling outside my window..

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Great to hear. That's somewhere along the lines of what I was thinking.

Troy

top topics

join