It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One out of ten Americans using food stamps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I do not have anything to back this up. It was on the Cable News Networks, that one out of ten Americans was on the food stamp program. I thought that was a very high figure for this country even in these tough times. I have used the program myself before when I was injured and not insured. I did not like it but I was grateful for it.

This must be from the high unemployment rate right now.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyb98201
I do not have anything to back this up. It was on the Cable News Networks, that one out of ten Americans was on the food stamp program. I thought that was a very high figure for this country even in these tough times. I have used the program myself before when I was injured and not insured. I did not like it but I was grateful for it.

This must be from the high unemployment rate right now.

It couldn't be folks that are out of work, because way back when I tried to get foodstamps (in 2006), they told me that I had to work for them, and that they pay you for the work in food stamps. I was in Ohio at the time.

Once they cleared that up, I decided that the food stamps idea doesn't work for single guys like me. I had to work my way back up on my own.

I take it that these food stamps folks are chics with kids and stuff getting money from their baby's father's paychecks (that's how they do the child support these days, they take it out of their paycheck, had someone show me where they left him with just about nothing) and then getting the stamps.

What they really need to do is find a guy that can pay they're bills and give them a brighter future, but they clearly choose otherwise since they prefer the stamps and getting money from some poor guy's measly paycheck.

Ten percent isn't that many, really, since if there's 300 million people, then that means that 30 million are on the stamps.

There's also the people that get social security that get food stamps, too. Yup, you can get Social Security and also get food stamps (as far as I know, my mom does it). There's the 30 million right there.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Thats a good point Megacurious. Single males who can walk probably wont get food stamp help, The only reason I got help once was I was on crutches for a long time and had zero income. I remember that most of the people at the DSHS office were mothers and old folks or down and out looking.

Being homeless sucked, being homeless and crippled REALLY sucked. I made it through though and have more empathy for the sick folks.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

How many millionaires are there in the United States?

reply to post by tommyb98201

There are literally millions of millionaires in the United States. In fact, according to this 2005 article from MarketWatch, 8.9% of Americans are millionaires.

Seems high huh?

How about the number of millionaires? You know more people became millionaires in 2007 then in 2006?

How many stories on this did you see?

None??

Why?

People like misery stories about the U.S. because they like to believe that we are the problem in the world and not the solution.

We will grow, get stronger and flourish. Times are tough. Just like 1929, 1970 and so on.

Stop with the misery stories.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I don't know if it is 1 in 10, but I do know that they gave food stamp cards to those in counties in Indiana, and I would imagine other states as well, that were declared emergency zones after the wind from Hurricane Ike made it up here back in September. A lot of people qualified for it so that helped bump up the number using food stamps I would say.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
According to this article .. about 10% is correct.

Dismal projections by the Congressional Budget Office in Washington suggest that in the fiscal year starting in October, 28 million people in the US will be using government food stamps. The first article predicts 30 million by the end of 2009

www.washingtonpost.com...

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 30-11-2008 by infolurker]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The welfare system in the United States chaps my buttocks. Welfare recipients breed more welfare recipients and on and on for generations.

I do agree that we have a moral obligation to help the ill and handicapped. They have no choice in the matter of providing for themselves.

I owned and operated a large rental community as well as commercial rental property. I did this for 40 years so I got up close and personal with the public. I have seen children of welfare parents have children that have welfare babies at the early age of 15. They, intern get their welfare from the state.

One case in particular makes me very ill. The daddy got shot in a drug deal gone bad. He gets disability that he has never paid a dime into the system for. He also get free medical care, and his drugs are paid for by the government. He then sells his hydrocodone and xanax. This man is married to a woman that has 4 children to add to his 3 children. All the children receive government disability checks as they are mental wrecks.

They get free dental and medical care also. They are all drug users as their father pays them for chores in drugs.

And you guessed it........their middle child at 15 just had her very own welfare baby. It's a never ending cycle.

Somethings very wrong and needs to be fixed.

I Started receiving a disability check July of 2007, the year I sold my business. My investment advisor talked me into it. I had never thought to apply for it as I want no handout. He reminded me that I had worked all my life and have paid in more that I will live to collect. It is not a handout in this case. I still felt uncomfortable applying for it. I received it upon my first application and had no hoops to jump through.

Maybe we should have a work program for the able bodied welfare recipient. Train them and turn them loose to take care of themselves. These are the kind of people that will need internment camps in a Styx as they exist at the whelm of our government. Their only way to survive would be to rob others who have worked for their provisions.

Forgive my rant. This is a very disturbing subject for me.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

How many millionaires are there in the United States?

There are literally millions of millionaires in the United States. In fact, according to this 2005 article from MarketWatch, 8.9% of Americans are millionaires.

Seems high huh?

How about the number of millionaires? You know more people became millionaires in 2007 then in 2006?

How many stories on this did you see?

None??

Why?

People like misery stories about the U.S. because they like to believe that we are the problem in the world and not the solution.

We will grow, get stronger and flourish. Times are tough. Just like 1929, 1970 and so on.

Stop with the misery stories.

I suggest we tax those millionaires. They can spare a bit.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm curently receiving SSDI and previously hadn't any desire to jump through hoops every couple of months to get some food stamps. I make do with I get every month rather than expect more from the system as if some drug addict. My brother said I was stupid for not doing it, just because it was available. Some people haven't any problem taking from the system because they believe it owes them that and much more anyway. I personally find it insulting to grobble and drool for it....precious food stamps? Not.

I prefer to keep a low profile and not appear as if I'm double dipping, yet others may wonder why. Then they might think I'm working under the table? I just don't like being in those types of buildings sitting for hours for a few dollars worth of food stamps.

I am trying to keep my stress level down to a minimum by limiting my exposure to people that play games.

I lived in Wisconsin where I was made to look like the bum living off my wife and the system, even though I was working. My hatred for the state of Wisconsin hasn't ever waned.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

And what will you do once you've punished all the people with money for being successful? What happens when they decide to move elsewhere and employ people in other countries because they are tired for being punished for their efforts?

Then you will have even more people on food stamps, but you'll feel good about it because you stuck it to those evil people who dared generate wealth for themselves.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Ever try to sleep on an empty stomach? All you dream about is food..

All I can say is that I am glad that people have an avenue for food when necessary. Go to the classy restaurants and see how much food is thrown out.

I donate time to our local soup kitchen, and believe me, those people in line need the food and are very grateful for it.

We are the breadbasket of the world. No need for anybody to go to bed hungry.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I know many 'working poor' families right now, you cannot work enough hours to feed and clothe a family anymore on low wages, so to supplement they apply for stamps, and even that doesn't feed the families for the whole month, but they are a help. I have one freind who is a single mother, a registered nurse, she was laid off, her office laid off one employee per dept recently, she took a lower wage job (which was still more money than the unemployment office offered her) but she just can't make it the whole month. She went for the first time in her life to get public assistance, she cried all day about it, the office considered her situation an emergency since she no longer had any savings in her account, and got her stamps to her in 3 days. She felt that for a family of just 2 the amount was more than needed, but found out it wasn't enough.

top topics

join