It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odour of Sanctity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Hello Everyone,

For all our British users I hope you have been watching "Apparitions" on TV at the moment, its a really interesting series and has re-ignited my interest in Religion.

One thing that I found really interesting and intriguing is the fact that almost everyone mentioned in the series is based on real life fact and it is these facts I have been researching and wondering about.

Couple of questions for you all;

1.) Do you believe in the odour of sanctity? i.e. the smell of a strong fragrance typically likened to that of flowers when a saint dies

2.) If the bible says its wrong to hate, then what do Christians feel towards supporters of the Devil? Surely they must hate him?

Thanks in advance and be prepared for more questions, as I have said this series has really brought the subject of Religion & Good Vs Bad back into my attention!

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Do you believe in the odour of sanctity?

yes. And I have had the honor of smelling it a few times.

We know a very holy old man - a priest - who is now 'stationed' in Italy.
About a dozen times or so we smelled 'roses' when we were near him.
The first time was during Holy Mass when he processed in.
He's very holy. Also - he has locutions.

So yes - the odour of sanctity is very real. I am very sure.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Okay thanks for that. What do think about my second question, being a Christian yourself (I presume) ?

The series also talked about Maria Goretti (Patron saint of rape victims) as an ethical question do you believe it would be right to choose death as opposed to rape due to the belief that rape is unholy?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
1/ no.

2/ I don't give a monkeys what the Bible says.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

do you believe it would be right to choose death as opposed to rape due to the belief that rape is unholy?

There is no shame upon a rape victim. Only the rapist.

The child -Maria Goretti - was killed in a violent rape attempt.
Even if she had not struggled back, he would have killed her.
I don't think she picked death.
But she didn't fear it when it came either.

If someone decides to jump out a window instead of being attacked - that's up to them. If they submit and save their life, that's also up to them. Either way - no shame (or sin) comes upon the rape victim.

BTW - later in life the (attempted) rapist converted and I believe he was actually present at the ceremony when she was cannonized. I read that somewhere. I'm not sure of the exact facts ...

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Hello Everyone,

1.) Do you believe in the odour of sanctity? i.e. the smell of a strong fragrance typically likened to that of flowers when a saint dies

As far as I'm aware, this phenomena, whilst occurring in Christianity, isn't wholly specific to it. I'm fairly certain I've read similar things attributed to Buddhists.

From what I've seen of the Apparitions series, I wasn't keen to be honest. Although, I thought the character or the little girl was an interesting one.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

2.) If the bible says its wrong to hate, then what do Christians feel towards supporters of the Devil? Surely they must hate him?

1. I can honestly say I've never smelled this odour of sanctity. What I have smelled and experienced is what is known as the oil of gladness, found in Isaiah and the oil of joy found in Psalm 45. I could elaborate on that if you would like.

2. There are only two sides, the side of light and the side of darkness. People of the light feel the urgency of waking others up to bring them out of the darkness, whereas the true proponents of darkness want true knowledge witheld. These proponents aren't ignorant of the light, they are truly afraid of the light because they know everything they have ever done and thought will be exposed within the light.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrtales Instinct

1. I can honestly say I've never smelled this odour of sanctity. What I have smelled and experienced is what is known as the oil of gladness, found in Isaiah and the oil of joy found in Psalm 45. I could elaborate on that if you would like.

2. There are only two sides, the side of light and the side of darkness. People of the light feel the urgency of waking others up to bring them out of the darkness, whereas the true proponents of darkness want true knowledge witheld. These proponents aren't ignorant of the light, they are truly afraid of the light because they know everything they have ever done and thought will be exposed within the light.

What if the people of the dark knows more than you think? What if they are right and you are wrong? How do you know what is true ? Maybe they arent afraid of the light but are using it to their advantage ... ?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

What if the people of the dark knows more than you think? What if they are right and you are wrong? How do you know what is true ? Maybe they arent afraid of the light but are using it to their advantage ... ?

Have you considered that you can't see in literal darkness without a light? It's the reason a blind man can't lead a blind man or they would both fall in a hole.

It's sort of funny the way you worded that "the people of the dark." Did you know that most every single supernatural thing that occurred in the Bible did so under the cover of night and it's always night somewhere in the world. But most people not only sleep but they sleep hard at nightime and therefore they are not attuned to the more spiritual things that happen... at night.

God says in Isaiah 45, that he will give us the treasures of darkness - things stored in secret places - it's what enlightenment is all about.

new topics

top topics

join