It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officers investigated after assault of Mark Aspinall caught on CCTV

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Police officers investigated after assault of Mark Aspinall caught on CCTV

www.timesonline.co.uk

Three police officers are being investigated after a soldier claimed he was repeatedly beaten while being pinned to the ground.

CCTV footage shows Lance Corporal Mark Aspinall, who was praised for his bravery against the Taleban in Afghanistan earlier this year, being held down by two officers while a third appears to hit him on the back.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is becoming all to prevelant in the UK where Police Officers use excessive force to restrain an individual. Not content with killing people in car chaces or leaving people to die in Police Stations we now have more of this thugery on our streets.

The Police are not above the law and are properly trained how to restrain a person. There is not need or requirement for brutality. God knows what going to happen when they are issued with Tasers. I wonder how many people will end up dead at the hands of the Police using these killer devices.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Happens all the time in Tottenham and let's not forget how they fairgame and harass people they have no business interfering with. The UK police have become a cult, officers are in secret societies and have become a law onto themselves.

Of course they follow the rule book with criminals, it is business as normal but the love to lay into the law abiding.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher
Happens all the time in Tottenham and let's not forget how they fairgame and harass people they have no business interfering with. The UK police have become a cult, officers are in secret societies and have become a law onto themselves.

Of course they follow the rule book with criminals, it is business as normal but the love to lay into the law abiding.

You're right, it's the god damn officers who are in the masons that get away with murder.

The vry worst type of police officer are those who have the protection of eltitist circles.

This is well known in scotland, england and wales. God knows how many times speeding police officers have been let off with such crimes just because they have 'brothers' in certain circles.

Disgusting.

Not saying all Masons are bad people, far from it.... But as one person told me (who's identity i will keep secret) 'They are a very powerful, crooked group of men'

Obviously I now expect the masons to reply by saying 'nonsense, the masons are lovely people, we do charity funds and everything'

My response is this...

'Bollocks'

The Masons, for years have been turning a blind eye at judges, police officers and the like.

*cough Thomas Hamilton anyone?*

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I guess the police forget that all of that CCTV monitoring of the innocent public is also watching them as well. Its bad enough that a group of people can monitor the movements and actions of the common public, but its even worse to think that the police have no fear of this technology. I suppose they think that someone may "lose the recording" when they do something wrong.

This is a gross abuse of power. I hope they get the same punishment they would inflict on someone doing that to them.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Now more than ever before I can say that I have come to 'believe' in one of my collection of CTs.

The patterns of police abuse in the US and the UK are so similar in nature and form that I can only accept that the 'leadership' in our nations are if not one and the same, certainly belonging to the same 'school' of thought.

Perhaps the 'ruling elite' are visibly 'tightening their grip' anticipating a gradual 'acceptance'.

Now the media is supposed to generally suppress these events, but it cannot do so in the case of public oversight.

Currently more in the UK than in the US, there is a preponderance of video evidence recording thousands of police-community encounters. Perhaps a committee of community members could review these events to make a study of the civil manner of interface between government and governed.

Or, are the citizens forbidden access to the record?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Over reaction!!!!

The video shows them restraining him, and effectivly tapping him on the back about 8 times. That does not constitute police brutality in my book.

And the fact that he was a Soldier means nothing with regards to his innocence or behaviour. We get soldiers back from Afghanistan in our town all the time, a minority get pissed up and smash the place up. Standard.

The police spend a vast amount of their resources combatting drunken anti social behaviour where they get verbally abused constantly, they have to deal with the most horrible drunken physical assualts and criminal damage, and all because these idiots cannot handle their wife-beater.

I have no love for the police, at all, but in these scenarios they have my full sympathy.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by Man_Versus_AntiMan]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I would diasagree that it was "light tapping". What would be the purpose of "light tapping" on the back?

It looks as if he was being punched. An officer can only hit someone when under physical threat. the soldier, whilst being a trained killer, was no threat in that situation as they had him restrained. Why hit him?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Ok, maybe light tapping was a slight exaggeration, but its far from full on punching. It seems from the footage that the guy gives some lip then runs away, asking for trouble.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Man_Versus_AntiMan

Yeah, I saw that.

Right at the beggining of the video, you can see the soldier make a "come on then" type gesture. I am sure he wasn't "innocent" and was probably being a pissed up squaddie (I know the type!), but it does appear that the Police were somewhat heavy handed.

EDIT: They gave his face a good "rubbing" on the concrete too. What was that for?

[edit on 30/11/08 by stumason]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Man, did you read what you typed, he gave them some lip and then ran away. So whats wrong with that, the Police are trained to take abuse and as the man ran away how is that a threat to them. No what this equates to is that we the Facist Police wont let any one show any form of defiance because if you do you wil get a good kicking/thumping etc.

There are serious crimes committed every day in this country and the Police have more important things to do than running after drunks and using them as a punch bag. Who cares if the Police get called names, thay can call them what they like as long as they do the job they are paid to do which they don't.

Have you seen the latest crimes figures and the arrest rates, they are a disgrace. The police in the UK have an appaling record of brutality, murder and racism yet nothing is done to stop this trend.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Man_Versus_AntiMan
reply to post by stumason

Ok, maybe light tapping was a slight exaggeration, but its far from full on punching. It seems from the footage that the guy gives some lip then runs away, asking for trouble.

Are we watching the same video here? I don't know how you define a punch but I can clearly see an obvious repeated punching motion, as well as scraping the guy's face into the concrete. Not to mention smashing his head down onto the road whilst holding his hair.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Was it excessive...yeah..they could of restrained him quicker and easier if they wanted to. BUT...a drunken fool who talks crap and starts stuff deserves a good whoopin...sorry but if you drink and become a complete idiot you deserve a good thumpin...either that or grow up and control your alcohol intake!

The rubbing his face on the blacktop I don't agree with..the punches to the back were to assist to get cuffs on him...bottom line as I said before...don't drink yourself stupid, if you have beer muscles and decide to puff out your chest because of alcohol...deal with it!

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Have you seen the latest crimes figures and the arrest rates, they are a disgrace. The police in the UK have an appaling record of brutality, murder and racism yet nothing is done to stop this trend.

Im sure theyd rather be after rapists and murderers than drunken slags pissing in the streets and squaddies smashing the place up.

I dont like the police, i dont like the mind set of people who want to join the police, and i dont like the stormtrooper attitude they display on occasion. Having said that, the many dealings ive had with police has shown me that if you give respect to them they will give it back, that is not to say 'praising their authority', but just treating them as you would any normal person.

Frankly if i got the amount of abuse they do i may be tempted to a bit of brutality myself.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
RCW, when is talking crap a crime, this man was drunk, no threat and after giving the Police some verbals he ran away. The Police did not have to do anything. And the Police certainly don't have the right to hit anyone. They have a right to defend themselves if they are attacked but they were not. A man struggling with the Police is not the same as a man hitting the Police is it.

They could of ignored this drunken fool and left him alone but of course the big men with the big ego's have to been bowed down to don't they. its a pity these bullies cannot catch bank robbers or murderers but thats to much like hard work. its easier to pick on drunks and motorists is it not.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

not sure about the UK but in the US its illegal to be drunk in public annoying everyone including the police and acting like a complete jackoff.

Now who is responsible for his safety while drunk in the middle of the street? Oh yeah, its the cops

Who is responsible for removing his annoying butt from the public because NORMAL people are sick of hearing his mouth? Oh yeah, the cops

Who is responsible for public decency if this idiot IS pissing in the streets or cursing infront of people who DON'T wanna hear it? Oh yeah, the cops

The cops may have been alittle to rough on him..but it gets old when grown children have to act like aholes, can't control their alcohol intake and are just complete fools.

By the way...for being a "hero" he sure doesn't know how to act like one...let alone a professional soldier.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Wow! I can't believe that anyone thinks this is acceptable behaviour! I don't know whether to be more shocked at what the police did or the reaction from people that think it's ok.

No-one should be scared of the police. The police are to keep law and order not to dish out punishments. That is for a court of law to decide and punish accordingly. If they wanted to charge him for being drunk and disorderly then they have every right to do so but they over stepped the mark and that is not acceptable.

They do not have the right to do that and I am really shocked that anyone thinks it's ok because he got a bit lippy. If I beat my son like that, when he got a bit lippy, he'd be taken away and I'd be described as unfit to be his mother.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Man_Versus_AntiMan

did you see what this "overeaction" left on the the vets face???... I suppose if someone smashes your face to the ground and leaves you with scars.. You won't overeact right?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

The police didn't act profesisonal at all... And he didn't attack or make any jestures to suggest one... the amount of force he received was not neccesary... For you to justify this kind of excessive action.. makes me seriously question your morals.. This is coming from someone that has allot of freinds,family that are police officers..and soldiers alike...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join